Dick Cavett Shows on YouTube

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Frank Gannucci, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Frank Gannucci

Frank Gannucci Forum Resident Thread Starter

https://m.youtube.com/c/TheDickCavettShow

This person posts a lot of Dick Cavett Shows. I am waiting if h/she ever will post the episode from August 1972 where Art Carney is his guest. I commented on several videos and asked that question. No response. Is it on any Dick Cavett DVDs? I want to see this episode and I don’t have Decades available in my area.

NickySee and AintGotHalfOf like this.
  2. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

I cant find the vid where Jimi Hendrix freaks out Dick Cavett at the end. In this vid Jimi talks about his Woodstock performance of the National Anthem. The vid is still up, but not the end where he "freaks out Dick" (who is anything but funny to me). About 3-4 years ago it seems "The Official Dick Cavett Show" went into youtube, added their official logo, and edited the vids.

3. CatchAsCan

CatchAsCan Forum Resident

Google shows one Carney DC episode on a non-YT website.

4. MrBigFan

MrBigFan Forum Resident

Wish there was a good quality video of Dick Cavett meets Abba (or whatever it was called ) was available.
    Some from YT looks ok on a small pc screen but looks very bad if played on my big living room tv.

5. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

I just viewed it up on the toob....6 minute interview with the "freak out".......there's also a performance of Hear My Train A Comin :righton:

6. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Isn't this what you mean (at 2:50):

7. Frank Gannucci

Thank you.

SgtPepper1983 likes this.
  8. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

:shh::wave:

9. Frank Gannucci

Where is the link?

10. CatchAsCan

Sorry, I didn't check it out completely. The link on Google looks playable, but it takes you to a page that says that it's not available in the United States.

11. Frank Gannucci

12. Frank Gannucci

Can you provide me the link anyway? Maybe Surfshark can switch my location so I can see the video.

13. CatchAsCan

I replied to your request for the link, which doesn't seem to link to any actual Art Carney Cavett appearance. Sorry I didn't check it out further to begin with. I'd rather not post the link here, because I think the website that posted it is deceptive.

There are several Dick Cavett shows that were digitized by Shout Factory, but there are many episodes missing. Cavett's ABC show was on almost every weeknight (like Johnny Carson on NBC late night), so it's not that surprising that Cavett and Shout only chose to digitize and stream the most notable guest line-ups. The sites that claim to link to other episodes are taking the info from IMdB, but they don't link up because those episodes aren't available.

14. Frank Gannucci

Ok. Thanks. Figured I would ask anyway.

15. Frank Gannucci

Well,they are showing an episode where Jackie Gleason makes an appearance this Tuesday on Decades, I don’t have Decades. I hope they upload it on YouTube.

16. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

Jane Fonda, Henry Fonda, Peter Fonda, Mort Sahl, etc

I wish I had that channel. My friend in Chicago is always telling me of this show with Mort Sahl and BB King. If he wasn't too far, I'd visit him and record it on my phone!

17. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I've seen a few of these types of interviews with Jimi. Was he not the coolest guest on a talk show? Just honest, upfront and not attached to an "ism" or trying to be "on" for the host.

18. My Holy Grail of DC episodes, would be the Walter Carlos interview

Solaris likes this.
  19. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I liked the extended interviews done circa 1980 (Frank Zappa, G. Gordon Liddy, Gore Vidal vs. Norman Mailer, etc.) even though I found Cavett often too absorbed in himself to effectively question his guests. I recall his failure to follow up with an obvious question for Ingmar Bergman - something about current American directors - because he was too lost in one of his pensive attempts to think up something witty to say. Fortunately, Bibi Andersson joined the two and herself brought the subject up. I've forgotten the question and the answer (assuming Bergman provided one), but all-in-all the interview . . . well, Bergman . . . was very entertaining and interesting. Rick Moranis's spot on imitation of Cavett interviewing himself (split screen) about sums it up from an ego standpoint.

20. MortSahlFan

The entire thing used to be on YouTube, but when the official Cavett page uploads, I guess they striked it down

misterjones likes this.
  21. heartbreaker

heartbreaker Prisoner in Disguise

Hoping 1970x50 will be uploaded as it has a giggly young Linda Ronstadt on it.

22. Randall DeBouvre

Randall DeBouvre forum resident

on the decades channel episodes, the musical performances are not shown, probably because of rights. they also don't show controversial episodes like
    1 norman mailer getting into with gore vidal
    2. lilly tomlin walking out after actor chad everrett made a sexist remark
    3. john cassavettes, peter falk and ben gazzara acting drunk and crazy
    4. cavett walking out on lester maddox
    5. maddox walking out

the most famous (and never seen episode) was when j.i. rodale died while filming the show.
    people swore they saw that show when they did not. it was an example of serious irony and the mandella effect.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    misterjones likes this.
  23. MortSahlFan

Jane Fonda, Henry Fonda, Peter Fonda, Mort Sahl (and others)

24. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

Dr.Welby would agree with you:righton:

fr in sc and carrick doone like this.
  25. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

As noted above, Caveat’s shows are on a network called Decades, as well. I record all of them, but probably watch half of them. Many of the guests are fairly dull - some surprisingly so (like David Bowie). I suspect Cavett’s questions often are the culprit. He has a tendency to try to compete with the guest’s personality or be equally hip, cool, funny, etc., which doesn’t always work.

As also touched upon above, in an interview with Lilly Tomlin from the 1980s, Cavett recounted an earlier interview show that included Tomlin where Tomlin walked off the show because of ridiculously sexist comments by the other guests. Cavett compared the incident to his interview with Lester Maddox, who also walked off the set (albeit with only a couple minutes remaining in the show, raising the question whether it was a traditional protest “walk off”). Unfortunately, Cavett did not indicate whether he (Cavett) was aware of Randy Newman’s song about the Maddox interview (Rednecks). I suspect he wasn’t.