Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I like Hank, but I dont $75-$125 like him. If I could go back a few years, I'd probably grab the SRX and Workout at normal prices. And I've heard that Feelin's Good is one of the best sounding in the series?

Pushpaw and kt66brooklyn like this.
  2. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

Thanks to whoever mentioned the recently pressed 33s being available through Carol, I just ordered Adam’s apple and A night in Tunisia… :doh:

3. biodawg

biodawg Forum Resident

As in, today?

4. bresna

bresna Senior Member

"A Night In Tunisia"? That's still showing as "Out of stock"?

5. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

I don’t have all the Hanks in the series but Another Workout is a pretty solid session - I may even like it better than Workout despite it not having Grant Green. The Feelin’s Good is indeed probably my favourite Mobley album that I have and it does sound excellent though it’s never jumped out as the absolute best sounding MMJ I’ve got. Still pretty darn good though and musically it’s the best Hank I own.

This is what I’m comparing:

Hank Mobley (33)
    Workout (AP 45)
    Another Workout (45)
    Roll Call (45)
    Soul Station (33)
    The Feelin’s Good (45)

6. guidedbyvoices

What do you consider your best sounding MMJ?

7. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

Great question! I feel like I should embark on an intensive listening campaign to properly answer that question. I’m not trying to suggest The Feelin’s Good isn’t one of the best sounding MMJs, only that it’s never struck me that way - it sounds really good though. Maybe I haven’t listened to it closely enough.

The releases that have jumped out at me as having incredible sound quality even for an MMJ would probably include the following. Keep in mind I’m rhyming these off on the spot and am no doubt missing many. I’m also not meaning to suggest that the rest don’t sound amazing.
    33s (non SRX):
    Blakey- Indestructible
    Burrell - Midnight Blue
    Clark - Cool Struttin
    Jones - The Magnificent Thad Jones
    Maybe it’s just the “newness” factor but damn Green’s Solid 33 sounds good too.
    Gordon - Our Man in Paris
    45s:
    Blakey - Mosaic
    Dolphy - Out To Lunch
    Rivers - Fuschia Swing Song
    Hill - Judgment
    Morgan - Tom Cat
    McLean - One Step Beyond

8. Elofan

Elofan Forum Resident

Email Carol…..

9. biodawg

biodawg Forum Resident

I emailed her a couple of days ago and she said there were no more copies available. Curious as to when this poster emailed her.

The Pop Kids likes this.
  10. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

I emailed her after I ordered inner urge to see if there were any copies available of the others that were then out of stock, no reply. I then emailed about shipping notification since I hadn’t received one and then got a shipping email shortly after that, which I replied to asking again about spares and she said there were refunded copies available, so I said I’d have them both. No reply again, in which I emailed saying just waiting on the PayPal invoice, which she sent last night.

There’s my life story for you. :sweating:

Briskit likes this.
  11. guidedbyvoices

Thanks! I have 8 of those so that’s a good sign. Judgment and Fucshia are so good.

Pushpaw likes this.
  12. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

I’m gutted I missed out on the 33rpm Solid. I’ve got the MM 45rpm unopened but would much rather have the 33rpm.

13. The Pop Kids

The Pop Kids Forum Resident

I emailed her about extra copies on September 10 and heard back from her within a few hours. I was able to secure Solid and Night.

14. biodawg

biodawg Forum Resident

I emailed her on September 10 at 12:04pm.

15. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

I emailed this past Friday and asked about A Night In Tunisia. Received a reply on Sunday saying it was not available.

16. Biff Jones

Biff Jones Forum Resident

I should mention one more title still available: Gil Melle’s “Patterns in Jazz,” featuring the brilliant and under-recorded guitarist, Joe Cinderella. Most any recording with Joe is worth a listen and this is among his finest efforts. Nonetheless, it all begins with Gil Melle. I love his baritone and tenor playing, his compositions and the arrangements for this stellar ensemble - every player a leader in his own right. And the sound on the 45rpm set is uniformly outstanding. It surpasses the original 1956 pressing in every respect. It isn’t bop and doesn’t fit into any common Blue Note niche, but it stands as one of the gems of the 1500 catalogue. Ron and Joe knew what they were doing when they chose this album for MMJ.

Dmann201, GreatTone, Briskit and 2 others like this.
  17. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Thank you both for being voices of reason. Order placed for these two titles. I was not looking to add any more MMJ titles to my collection, standing at 90-ish titles. $59.99 and $49.99 - no-brainer purchases, even if these end up in the bottom third of my enjoyment of the series.

18. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

Managed to get a copy of the 33rpm Solid. Just need to sell my 45rpm pressing now. It’s still sealed.

19. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

Am I right thinking Melle designed the jacket artwork too?
    He definitely did some jacket designs. Maybe it was for what's his face over at Prestige...

20. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Patterns in Jazz was Reid Miles, his name is under one of the dots.

Biff Jones likes this.
  21. The Pop Kids

The Pop Kids Forum Resident

Crazy. And folks better act SOON; Acoustic Sounds recently marked it up to $120!

22. FWatty

FWatty Collector of Zuni Fetish Dolls

MMJ only has 11 left on its site. After that, any buyers will be stuck with ones found stuffed inside a couch (with potential corner damage).

bruinuclafan likes this.
  23. Biff Jones

Biff Jones Forum Resident

My quartet of the latest MMJ repressings arrived two weeks ago, well packed and in perfect shape. I’ll be interested to hear how others regard these 33rpm editions compared to other iterations, in particular, MMJ45 and SRX versions.

Dmann201 likes this.
  24. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

Not sure compared to the others, but i bought Adams Apple and Tunisia. A Night In Tunisia is stunning. One of the best sounding blue notes I have

Biff Jones likes this.
  25. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

They just raised back to the tracks to $75 as it was in my cart. Taking it out now just out of principle.

still doing Hill and Rivers titles

now its down to Mobley Sextet, Shades of Reed, and the Elvin Jones title for my 3rd and final purchase

Greenmonster2420 likes this.