Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. jmcecil

jmcecil Analog Jitter

To be extra clear, it is only side 1 that I have a problem with. Side 2 gets progressively better as you go. Disk 2 is pretty good, but not as good as the S/T IMO. But I can only speak for my disks and perceptions. If Disk 1 was as good as Disk 2, I would be ok even though they aren't as good as the S/T.

Joti Cover likes this.
  2. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I’d be happy to relieve you of one of those Mingus One-Steps. :D

3. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Got it. Thanks.

4. Geoffsterpiano

Geoffsterpiano ...Give me great sound, or give me death...

Given Mofi’s track record, I think it’s highly unlikely that the mastering on Desperado is crap. If there are problems, it’s far more likely to be in the area of disc manufacturing/pressing. Still not good, but at least that’d be something they can address…

Joti Cover likes this.
  5. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

That's not always the case, members have gotten replacement disc that are worse than what they tried to get replaced. And when the titles is sold out they may not even get that, maybe your money back if bought from MFSL. Then MFSL will use that record to try and make others happy parting it out.

6. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

"If it's that bad, they hurting their reputation and brand, "only use the best quality, either the original analog master tapes or a copy of the original analog master tapes, if it too damaged don't put it out". If the BG digital cuts they used on the 2014 reissues, why didn't MoFi use the BG tapes?

7. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

What pressings are you familiar with that sound better?

8. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

My post wasn't to try and disparage anyone from getting something they like. It was just we need to think about all this preordering because we really don't know how the record turned out yet.

Five years ago when MFSL started to do the one steps it seemed like the quality was much better. Now that the record is less exclusive, more people buying them, MFSL pressing 4-6 times the amount, and everyone preordering something has to give. MFSL doesn't have to sell on word of mouth that something turned out fantastic for a very pricy record. People are assuming it will be but we are hearing about far too much quality issues with a top shelf/price record. They shouldn't even package up some of these disc lately. I mean if your trying to sell a top flight record you better make sure whats going in the box is worth what people are paying you for.

Jrr likes this.
  9. jmcecil

jmcecil Analog Jitter

I finally got round to doing some streaming checks. I think those first few songs on Desperado just sound like **** in general. Out of Control sounds like it was recorded on a tascam 4 track portable with the gain maxed out on the 2013 remaster. Twenty One is narrow and "thin". So I think it's just the source is crap. And, they didn't polish the turd. Side 2 starts with Tequila Sunrise and then Desperado. The quality difference is pretty significant on the streams as well.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    Cassius, Dmann201, Spencer R and 3 others like this.
  10. JimmyS

JimmyS Forum Resident

My only references were the previous CD's. As mentioned above, the first couple songs may just have poor recording/mix results. I’m comparing the sound in reference to other 1 steps which have been stellar, save maybe the Paul Simon release which was hit and miss for me.

Guildx500 likes this.
  11. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

This was why I was asking what pressings are better. I’m not questioning people’s experience with the 1 step just trying to find out if the actual recording is subpar since I’m not familiar with it.

CBackley likes this.
  12. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Got notice from Mofi that Desperado was delivered. Unboxed it as soon as I got home and to my surprise both Desperado and Eagles were in the box! Will report back as soon as I get to spinning these.

Joti Cover likes this.
  13. Mok

Mok Has Potential

…Music Direct… :shrug:

14. Geoffsterpiano

Geoffsterpiano ...Give me great sound, or give me death...

That’s not really what I meant; what I meant was that if the pressings were a complete and utter disaster, Mofi has the option to recall and repress. I’m not saying that they would do that of course, and I actually think it’s unlikely; but in theory they could if it turned out to be that much of a problem, and they were truly concerned about quality control…

15. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

Has anyone received one of the Eagles One Step from Music Direct?

16. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Interesting to hear some of the reviews coming in...especially for Desperado. I've never considered the production to be weak , so hearing the recording described as a "turd" is head scratching. The early white label Asylum pressings have a lushness and a full sonic quality (on both sides). The only track that sounds harsh and grating is Out Of Control...there is some strange stuff going on with that recording, and doesn't sound pleasing on any format (that I've heard).

Might be best to stick with or find an early pressing...or if you're really adventurous, there are some Nimbus Super-Cut darlings floating around with a stellar reputation.

Sam likes this.
  17. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

My Back To Black UK Rhino copy sounds fantastic from start to finish. The series got raves when they came out. I got Desperado, On The Border, and One Of These Nights. They all sound great, and far better than the US Asylum copies I have.

"Out Of Control" is certainly dense and not as lush as the other tracks, but "Doolin' Dalton", right from the start, sounds really good.

Joti Cover and Geoffsterpiano like this.
  18. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

If MoFi or any other label is in fact “true to the master tapes,” you would expect this to happen from time to time. For example, there are songs on the One Step of Bridge Over Troubled Water that are too revealing of the layers of reverb slathered on to some tracks, in my opinion.

Joti Cover, AnalogJ and jmcecil like this.
  19. jmcecil

jmcecil Analog Jitter

Yeah, unfortunately I'm requesting an RMA on Desperado.
    I've been trying to be clear that from an Audio perspective, it's ONLY side 1 which has Out of Control on it that doesn't sound right. Or better said, I don't like how it sounds.
    However from a pressing standpoint my entire set is surface noisy. And since it is a quiet record to begin with, the surface noise is just irritating. Anyhow, I gave it another shot last night, but it's going back.

Joti Cover likes this.
  20. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Yeah, I wrote extensively about this when the BOTW was released. For the simpler, more direct cuts, such as "Song For The Asking", it's astonishing. But for many cuts, the OneStep is too revealing, showing Halee's overuse of reverb and other recording techniques. On "The Boxer", the opening acoustic section sounds fine, but on the bombastic chorus, I can hear the abrupt pulling back of the dynamics (I assume as to not overload).

There are moments of great beauty, but also times when the details of the production are so clearly revealed that they're distracting to me.

21. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked Thread Starter

+1. There is a wide range of “fidelity” on BOTW. It’s like a window opens when you drop the needle on “Thee Only Living Boy In New York.” And checking my regular “box set” version, as well as the digital version on Qobuz, the differences in sound are there as well. My system is very revealing, and that’s part of the deal. I want the truth! You can’t handle the truth! Lol. It’s all good, and somehow it doesn’t bother me if I know it’s just part of the source material.

22. Drew769

Per Music Direct this AM, they will start shipping both Eagles One Steps starting next Friday (9/24).

Dmann201, DavidJ, AppleCorp3 and 5 others like this.
  23. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Tapestry ever gonna happen?

24. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

(
    ]
    Bi
    Yay, but will be a painful day for my credit card.

Joti Cover likes this.
  25. Drew769

It’s kind of funny that we are waiting with baited breath for albums that came out 35-50 years ago! Oh, and we all probably own three copies of each on vinyl, a CD copy, and subscribe to a streaming service! :laugh: I have to laugh at myself sometimes. First world problems…

Juggsnelson likes this.