The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I like your ideas here, and I am one who loves to fiddle with track listings too.... With the amount of songs the Kinks recorded, and certainly the fact that a large percentage of the singles weren't on the albums, there is certainly room for fiddling with track listings. I guess my problem is, I don't think I could cut any songs.... I would be more likely to make the albums cd length with additions lol ... or perhaps three sided records :)
    At the end of the day I probably wouldn't change anything, though the double album for Village Green is somewhat of a draw for me.

The MEZ, CheshireCat and jethrotoe like this.
  2. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I have seen his son Eric Bibb perform up close and there sure is a resemblance but from this one cut I can't say it is musical.

DISKOJOE and mark winstanley like this.
  3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

For our "Avid" readers!

4. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

"Enviable" is quite the understatement. If this is “singles day” on the thread, I'll argue that this sixties run of quality singles is almost unparalleled in pop and one of their most indelible legacy. For the most part, I wouldn’t want those songs on the LP’s, even though they certainly could/would improve the albums’ track-lists. In his attempt at improving the Face to Face and Something Else track-lists, it's interesting to note @jethrotoe purposely left the singles out of the equation and I think it’s the right way to go: respect and acknowledge the two parallel discographies, like that of the Beatles, Stones and Who, or even more so.

This two-ways career is a joy for the newbie fan. If you come to the Kinks from the singles’ hillside, you’re in for a big surprise once you get to the albums. And if you listen to the albums first, just wait till’ you discover all those fantastic extra songs, A-sides and B-sides!!! It’s one of the beauties of that band’s output. There’s always more. They’ve been hailed as heavy metal pioneers, but in truth, the melodies were their strongest suit ; they’ve been called a singles band but their albums (and concept albums) are extraordinary ; they’re often reduced to their sixties catalogue but we’ll see in no time that they have dozens of stunning masterpieces all through the following decades! There’s always more to the Kinks, you can’t reduce them to a preconceived idea. Well, you can, but it will be your mistake… and your loss.

5. Vagabone

Vagabone Forum Resident

Here's my two-disc Kinks sixties "only my faves" selection, though there's space for a few more songs to round off the RCA years. So I might post an update when we get to that point in the story.

Disc One

You Really Got Me
    All Day and All Of The Night
    Something Better Beginning
    Set Me Free
    I Need You
    See My Friends
    I Go To Sleep
    Till The End Of The Day
    Where Have All The Good Times Gone
    Ring The Bells
    The World Keeps Going Round
    I'm On An Island
    Sunny Afternoon
    Dandy
    Rainy Day In June
    Fancy
    Dead End Street
    Waterloo Sunset

Disc Two

David Watts
    Two Sisters
    No Return
    Harry Rag
    Lazy Old Sun
    Afternoon Tea
    End of the Season
    Autumn Almanac
    Wonderboy
    Polly
    The Village Green Preservation Society
    Do You Remember Walter?
    Village Green
    Phenomenal Cat
    All My Friends Were There
    Victoria
    Drivin'
    Australia (edit)
    Shangri-La

6. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

This is a playlist! :D Yours: 61 songs vs Mine: 62 songs (to date)

mark winstanley likes this.
  7. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

Just some stray observations & thoughts:

1. Yes, the Kinks had a great run of UK single hits from 1964-68, but the Hollies were close behind them in that period. I think that they had more hits & about the same US top 40 hits during that period. I think that the major factor is the brilliance of Ray's songwriting & how it evolved from "YRGM" to "Days". The fact that Ray wrote all those songs is an achievement in itself. Even the Beatles & the Stones needed two people to write their hits. Pete Townshend was probably the closest to Ray in that regard. I just think that the Hollies are somewhat underrated.

2. Headmaster Winstanley seems puzzled as to why the Kinks seemingly lost their popularity in the UK in the late 1960s. I'm not so puzzled. I think there were several factors, some that I mentioned previously, such as an old fashioned record company, changing music styles & the ability or inability to change. I will also add that the Kinks probably "burnt their bridges" when it came to music promotors. In the late 1960s their only major concert tour in the UK was the ill fated one w/the Herd in 1968. They didn't otherwise tour in the UK, except for the cabaret one. Even earlier,
    they missed out on plenty of gigs & appearances. This meant that the Kinks had a reputation of being erratic at best in showing up for gigs & had problems trying to get a promotor to take them on.

8. mark winstanley

Well I do playlists on paper, digital or otherwise lol
    It's all those years of putting together albums and set lists:)

Smiler, DISKOJOE and Zeki like this.
  9. mark winstanley

I really like the Hollies, but I do only have a compile of those hits

DISKOJOE likes this.
  10. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Correction: your list is 60 songs (not 61).

I just compared mine with yours and find that you have 19 songs listed that aren’t on my list. That means, I think, that I have 21 that you don’t include. (As I start with two more tunes.) Conclusion? The Kinks have a heckuva discography.

FJFP, DISKOJOE and mark winstanley like this.
  11. mark winstanley

I knew it was 60.... like I say, I could add more songs easily, but it would end up being everything but a few covers :)
    I had to draw a line somewhere

12. jethrotoe

jethrotoe Forum Resident

Since we're just about in 1970, but are still talking about The Kinks' 60s singles, it seems like a good time to post this (apologies if somebody beat me to this pages back...I hadn't seen this till recently. I wish there was more footage):

13. joejo

joejo Well-Known Member

Spot on for including Kink Konk, but you misspelled it.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    mark winstanley, DISKOJOE and Zeki like this.
  14. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

:D I thought he was listing it in the spirit of the thread.

mark winstanley and DISKOJOE like this.
  15. mark winstanley

I am mr typo... if y'all didn't already notice :)

DISKOJOE and Zeki like this.
  16. Allthingsmusic

Allthingsmusic Forum Resident

Bravo!

mark winstanley likes this.
  17. Toad of the Short Forest

Toad of the Short Forest Forum Resident

The Kinks in the 60s

The Kinks are probably my favorite band. I really like the Beatles a lot, but the Kinks mean a lot more to me and I never quite get the same emotional depth with the Beatles as I do the Kinks. Not to say it isn't there of course, but for me the Kinks are the 60s band, and the 60s was the best decade musically in my opinion.

The stretch of albums from Face to Face to Arthur is flawless. Every track, including singles and outtakes, is pure perfection. I'd be inclined to extended that time range to their first single up to Everybody's in Show-Biz too... but the late 60s Kinks are truly Something Else.

My ranking would probably go like this:

Something Else
    VGPS
    Arthur
    Face to Face
    Kontroversy
    Kinda Kinks
    Kinks

My top 10 songs from the 60s would probably be:

Waterloo Sunset
    Shangri-La
    See My Friends
    Sunny Afternoon
    You Really Got Me
    Autumn Almanac
    Village Green Preservation Society
    Till Death Us Do Part
    Death of a Clown
    Dead End Street

18. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: Come to think of it, they did stop having hits around the exact same time that Petula Clark stopped having them, but I'm not so sure that PYE was entirely to blame. Wasn't this around the exact same time that The Status Quo began having hits? I'm not sure what the deal was with the PYE label, as there was really no one label that represented them here in the states. Over here, Donovan's early singles were released on the "Hickory" label, and The Status Quo were on something called "Cadet Concept."

FJFP, CheshireCat, Zeki and 1 other person like this.
  19. mark winstanley

Wow, top ten songs....

All day and all of the night
    Dedicated follower of fashion
    Dead end street
    Sunny afternoon
    Rainy day in june
    Lazy old sun
    Village Green Preservation Society
    Animal Farm
    Victoria
    Some mothers son

Maybe, I reserve the right to change this at any time :)

20. Allthingsmusic

Allthingsmusic Forum Resident

I can't rank them but I will for fun!

Something Else

Arthur

Village Green

Face To Face (Current Favorite!)

Kontroversey

Kinda Kinks

Kinks

A nod to US "Greatest Hits" my first album of theirs bought in 1966. Loving them since 1964 when I was 10 and now at the age of 67 still loving this band!

Thanks Mark and everyone else!!!

side3, The MEZ, Orino and 5 others like this.
  21. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

60s albums ranking:

VGPS
    Something Else
    Arthur
    Face to Face
    The Kink Kontroversy
    Kinda Kinks
    Kinks

It KILLS me to have Face to Face at number 4...that does not reflect how much I LOOOOOVE this album. in fact, i was just listening to it today at work and was a happy little Wondergirl. :D
    If I could have Arthur, Something Else and Face to Face as all tied for second, that would be the way to go.

22. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

Hmm, Top 10 Kinks songs from the 60's, eh? OK, I'll play (or at least try):

1. "Days": I thank them for giving us this magnificent song, which closed both my old Spotlight On The Kinks and the more popular Kink Kronikles very nicely
    2. "Tired of Waiting": man, I've lived this song, which means a lot to me (along with so many of their others)
    3. "She's Got Everything": this is an absolute scorcher, and seems relatively unknown to the general public, but it shouldn't be (again, like so many others)
    4. "All of My Friends Were There": I've lived this one too, but haven't we all?
    5. "Animal Farm": just beautiful chord progressions here with great lyrics to boot, possibly giving voice to deeply held dreams from childhood and beyond
    6. "Do You Remember Walter?": another tune that recalls deep memories ("but memories of people can remain")
    7. "Shangri-La": a stunning musical achievement; nothing on Abbey Road quite like it, but then Arthur probably compares more to Tommy and The Wall as has been noted
    8. "Fancy": very cool atmosphere on this one, which always gives me pause ("aaaaalllllllwayys")
    9. "Autumn Almanac": maybe because it's getting to be this time of year, but of course it's a great song to play anytime
    10. "Rainy Day in June": a truly haunting performance that stays with you....

23. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

Reading our leader's musings on the Kinks albums of the sixties was wonderful. Everything I would say put into words by someone else, better than I could have done.
    I will however, just add my '60s album ratings.

Arthur (or the decline and fall of the British Empire)
    Something Else by The Kinks
    The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society
    Face To Face
    The Kink Kontroversy
    Kinda Kinks
    Kinks

I don't think there's any way I could do a top ten of songs, but for UK singles, I'll go with a top five of:

Waterloo Sunset
    Shangri-la
    Days
    All Day And All Of The Night
    See My Friends

24. HadgeTunes

HadgeTunes Forum Resident

Okay, let's give this a shot since this is likely my favorite decade from any band ever.

Ranking:
    Something Else
    Village Green
    Face to Face
    Arthur/Kontroversy (tied)
    Kinda
    Kinks

A 2CD 60s-only Kinks komp? Don't mind if I do!

Disk 1
    1. You Do Something To Me
    2. You Really Got Me
    3. I Don't Need You Anymore
    4. Stop Your Sobbing
    5. All Day and All of the Night
    6. I Gotta Move
    7. Tired of Waiting For You
    8. Nothing In This World Can Stop Me Worrying About That Girl
    9. Come On Now
    10. Something Better Beginning
    11. Everybody's Gonna Be Happy
    12. Who'll Be The Next In Line
    13. Set Me Free
    14. I Need You
    15. See My Friends
    16. A Well Respected Man
    17. Wait 'Til The Summer Comes Along
    18. Milk Cow Blues
    19. Til The End of the Day
    20. I Am Free
    21. Where Have All The Good Times Gone?
    22. Dedicated Follower of Fashion
    23. Sitting On My Sofa
    24. I'm Not Like Everybody Else
    25. Sunny Afternoon
    26. Dandy
    27. Rosy Won't You Please Come Home
    28. Fancy
    Disk 2
    1. Dead End Street
    2. Big Black Smoke
    3. This is Where I Belong
    4. Mr. Pleasant
    5. Waterloo Sunset
    6. Death of a Clown
    7. David Watts
    8. Two Sisters
    9. Autumn Almanac
    10. Suzanna's Still Alive
    11. Wonderboy
    12. Lincoln County
    13. Days
    14. Animal Farm
    15. Picture Book
    16. Starstruck
    17. Big Sky
    18. The Village Green Preservation Society
    19. Til Death Us Do Part
    20. Plastic Man
    21. King Kong
    22. This Man He Weeps Tonight
    23. Victoria
    24. Mindless Child of Motherhood
    25. Shangri-La
    26. Arthur
    Brb, gonna go make this...

FJFP, mark winstanley, Smiler and 2 others like this.
  25. mark winstanley

I think that's the problem with doing the rating thing, it makes it seem like you don't think much of the bottom half.

Smiler and Zeki like this.