„Twin Peaks“ Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Sgt. Abbey Road, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident Thread Starter

IMPORTANT: I do not have finished the main series and have not not seen the film or the 3rd season yet. This is the reason why I don’t want that anyone talks about the story or even the ending of „Twin Peaks“. I hope you understand that:cool:

I am starting this thread because I began to watch „Twin Peaks“ one and a half weeks ago. I am usually not a fan of TV series and like movies way more. „Twin Peaks“ is an exception. There are some reasons for this appreciation. Firstly I am of the opinion that the city of Twin Peaks has some similarities to my homeland Austria (we do not have the violence, of course:D). Especially the mountains and the rural surroundings are quite similar to Styria. The second and arguably most important thing for me is that the story is told in a slow and mystic way. This reminds me of „2001: A Space Odyssey“, my favourite film ever! Now I want to know your opinion. When did you watch „Twin Peaks“ for the first time.? How much do you like the main series? Are the prequel film and the 3rd season worth watching? You also can talk about your memories you have because of this fantastic TV series:)
    [​IMG]

DavidW, Exitmusic, Durango88 and 4 others like this.
  2. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

A chunk of the second season is lame, but aside from that, the whole project is essential viewing. The third season is as good as the first, and Fire Walks With Me becomes essential thanks to that third season. It's brilliant and absolutely original and creative.

3. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

Pretty much what Kreen said. I wish there were an official edited streaming version of season 2. They could cut a lot out of that and make it really good. If Lynch and Frost did it. That would be great.

The prequel film is good but a bit dark and somewhat disturbing even more so than the series IMO. It’s definitely a significant piece of the story.

I reallly liked most of season three. There were a couple goofy things that made it not perfect but it was overall great.

4. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Season 1 was my favorite. It was such a different show.

5. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

6. wondergrape

wondergrape Forum Resident

I never thought there would be a season three of Twin Peaks, much less that it would simultaneously eclipse and improve all that went before it, yet that's exactly what happened.

Twin Peaks is David Lynch's masterpiece.

7. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

[​IMG]

8. PapaMuerte

PapaMuerte Zappatista

Skipped high school many times, because of this show!
    Show with a great atmosphere, grim and shocking in some places and funny in others.
    Deep dive in psyche and spirituality, together with an awesome soundtrack it changed me as a teenager and it stuck with me to this day.
    Imho one of the greatest shows to grace the screen!

9. Sgt. Abbey Road

And also „damn good coffee“
    :)

10. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Love Twin Peaks. Love David Lynch even more. Every bit of the show and film is essential. You're in for one hell of a ride.

11. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

"When did you watch „Twin Peaks“ for the first time.? How much do you like the main series? Are the prequel film and the 3rd season worth watching? You also can talk about your memories you have because of this fantastic TV series"

First time was when it was first aired in the UK, 1990? I loved the main series.

The film's good, but I preferred the TV series. I haven't yet seen the season 3 reboot. Something I must amend.

It was so different to anything we had been used to watching, yet was obviously a satirical take on soap operas, which were very popular at the time. I had been a David Lynch fan for quite a time beforehand, so I wasn't expecting it to be "normal" telly. Still surprising though. Fell in love with Audrey of course. Agent Cooper is deliciously quirky, as are most of the characters. I didn't feel that there was any drop off in season 2. All good. Like....new shoes!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  12. kamchatka

kamchatka Forum Resident

There's only a handful of TV shows I've ever really gotten into, and 'Twin Peaks' is at the top of the (very short) list. I was in high school when it first aired, but I didn't watch much of it then because the commercials killed it for me (David Lynch rightly calls commercials "dream killers"). I came to appreciate it years later, on home video, sans dream killers. It is wonderful to be able to see it now with the vastly improved image quality of TVs/monitors.

A very large number of people gave up on the show midway through the second season, feeling it had lost its way. It is a valid feeling... but don't give up! There's a few weak episodes in there, but then it picks up again, and the final stretch includes some of my favorite characters and elements.

Season 3 is fascinating. All I can really say is, I need to watch it again.

13. Sgt. Abbey Road

Am I the only person who thinks that Audrey Horne is one of the most intelligent and beautiful TV series characters of all time?
    :angel:

14. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Seconded, mate! She kept even the few dragging moments of season 2 alive and interesting. Love her! A logical development from Lynch's earlier femme fatale, Isabella Rossellini in Blue Velvet.

Oh, and Twin Peaks... almost feels like gospel for me. Unfortunately, I have yet to see season 3.

15. My advice is to read Mark Frost's book Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier immediately after watching season 3. First of all, it tells you what happened to all the great characters from season 1 and 2, something Lynch neglected to do. Also, it actually makes season 3 understandable by telling the tales in the proper chronological order and filling in some of the rather large holes Lynch left behind. When I watched season 3 for the first time I basically gave up on trying to understand it all about halfway through and just enjoyed the visuals and weirdness. After reading Frost's book I had at least a loose understanding of what was happening when I re-watched.

16. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

This is a great show, I was able to see several episodes when first broadcast, it was wild, really nothing else like it

I also have not seen the latest season. Thinking of getting one of the blu-ray sets of the whole series, but I have so many blu-rays and DVDs to watch as it is.

17. Sgt. Abbey Road

The main problem is that this book isn’t available in a German translation yet. Only the first book „The Secret History Of Twin Peaks“ was translated into my native language. My English isn’t that bad, but I doubt that I have the skills to understand such a complicated story in a foreign language.

18. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

Either you did your research in advance or you lucked out by not watching Fire Walk With Me first. It ruins the mystery of the show. It is essential though before watching the third season.
    I’m not a big Lynch fan. Some of his stuff is just too out there or meandering to me.
    That being said I did like the first season and the beginning of the second. It really dips in the middle. Season three is really ****ing weird, but once it came together I really dug it.

19. Sgt. Abbey Road

I have done some research and didn’t watch the film before the first season. I am looking forward do that before watching the 3rd season. And yes, you are right, David Lynch‘s work is weird, but that’s the main reason why I like it although I am not big fan of mystery or fantasy movies:)

20. Sgt. Abbey Road

I only have to watch two episodes of the original series and don’t understand the anger about the second season. Yes, it’s a bit more mystic, but it’s not too much. I personally think that the second season is as good as the first one:)

21. Just wait a few episodes. There are two new plotlines that are not very good and add nothing to the plot. The good news is that the last few episodes are as good as the first season.

22. Sgt. Abbey Road

I have watched 20 episodes of season two and think that these new storylines are important breathers to prevent you from a overtaxing, at least for me:)

23. It's a shame Lara Flynn Boyle made them cancel the Audrey - Cooper romance. She was dating Kyle Mclachlan, so the story goes, and forbid him from doing romantic scenes with Sherilyn Fenn. That's why they came up with Annie. Unfortunately they cast Heather Graham, who was gorgeous but rather lacking in acting talent at the time.

24. Its really not a hard read because it has a very straightforward layout. It is written as a series of detective reports, one for each character.

25. Fair enough. If you're that far, I can name them - the evil kid and James and the evil lady. I fast forward through both when I rewatch.