Dumbest things people have told you about movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rocker, Feb 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member Thread Starter

Exactly! You'd think it would be plainly obvious that it's two entirely different locations... but apparently there are people who are just *that* stupid. :rolleyes:

hi_watt likes this.
  2. Slice

Slice Fan Of Rock

Where's the channel they fly through at the end for the exhaust port? Pick it out from the pic below please. ;-) If you can't, then millions of voices will suddenly cry out in terror.

[​IMG]

3. It’s a sort sequel kind of remake. Sort of.

4. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member Thread Starter

Precisely. The filmmakers always intended the opening of ED2 to recap the events of the first movie, but when they were unable to secure the rights to the ED1 footage, they decided to re-shoot those scenes from scratch.

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  5. FredV

FredV Senior Member

People’s reaction to the final scene in the 1903 ‘The Great Train Robbery’: “Duck, that feller’s really shooting at us!!!”

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think that's basically true. There's always a problem of making the "Hollywood version" of a biography, which sometimes happens when other people own the rights and get to approve the script. I'm told that problem has held up anybody making the Marvin Gaye movie for 30 years (as one example).

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  7. Knowledge, imagination, and perspective are powerful things and some do not possess the best versions.
    This leads to the many misunderstanding we encounter each and every day in life.

Concerning this movie event;
    To me it seems very plausible the particle in Sarah's leg is something from the explosion...exactly what is not important in the moment.
    Then she pulls out the piece and it looks like busted metal.
    Then she drops it and it clinks with a metallic sound...which sells it for the vast majority of viewers.

But....some just see, hear, and imagine things from a VERY different perspective.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  8. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

I was told Return Of The Jedi has too many special effects. Umm....what exactly does that even mean? It's a Star Wars movie. WTH are you expecting?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Alan1958

Alan1958 Forum Resident

"You really MUST watch ALIENS, it's, even better than the first one"

unclefred likes this.
  10. wondergrape

wondergrape Forum Resident

I had a conversation once with someone who hated Gravity. It went like this:

Them: "That movie was completely absurd. Like George Clooney's character could actually fly through space, open a hatch and climb into the shuttle with Sandra Bullock's character."

Me: "Well, that was an hallucination. It didn't really happen."

Them: "Of course it didn't! It's impossible!"

Me: "..."

hi_watt and SomeCallMeTim like this.
  11. SomeCallMeTim

SomeCallMeTim Forum Resident

Like the shambling vs. walking zombie debates that started with the 2004 Dawn of the Dead remake and go on to this day, they seem to miss the point. "Zombies can't run; they're dead." (Well, that would make it difficult for them to, you know, move at all. But then we wouldn't have had much to look at for two hours.)

12. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Yeah, I don't understand how thinking that he's the brother could be called "dumb." It's in the script and there are literally dubs in circulation where he explicitly says "he was my brother."

That was indeed the original idea at the development stage (and Humongous does appear to have former cops in his militia, one of them messes with Max's car) -- however it's true that the actual movie gives no indication that this is the case and Humongous manifestly looks nothing like Goose. (Plus in our one glimpse of Goose post-accident he seems to be missing bits that Humongous has.)

It...kind of is, though?

Cracklebarrel and hi_watt like this.
  13. Maggie

My reaction was much the same as yours; I was baffled and annoyed by Tree of Life. My spouse (who has a phd in the subject) had to explain to me the Christian allegorical significance of the movie after the fact. Being Jewish, it completely eluded me. I still think it's a silly movie, although I take pleasure in the amount of money that got poured into it.

Vidiot likes this.
  14. Maggie

The thing about Max being the Feral Kid is just a fan theory/"headcanon" type idea; I don't think anyone who saw the movie in 2015 actually thought Fury Road Max was literally supposed to be the Kid, just that it would be fun and would explain the discrepancies in characterization if he had been (and the original Max had wandered off into the sunset after Thunderdome).

15. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

At least you saved Iris…

MortSahlFan likes this.
  16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That one's accurate!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

My wife thought that was what happened too.
    George was just floating around in space and decided it would be a good time to join Sandra in the shuttle.

wondergrape likes this.
  18. mradmack

mradmack Roxanne + Geoff.

I knew a guy in high school who was probably the boy with the highest grades in school. Really bright, accepted by Glasgow University straight from school. He asked: If you tape a programme, viewed on a 7 inch black and white portable, when played back on a 25 inch colour set, would you see a tiny monochrome image, surrounded by black?? He wore short trousers all year round too! Odd guy!

19. wondergrape

wondergrape Forum Resident

At least that is real within the context of the movie. The George Clooney opening the hatch thing didn't even happen in the movie. Just one of the character's minds.

Is still drives me crazy that he didn't get it.

20. Well because the last scene while leaving it open to interpretation as he rides into,the sunset…he vanished suggesting he’s a ghost. One version of the script had the beother element but that was discarded in a rewrite and a lint liked it so much he insisted on keeping it ambitious until the last shot when he disappears just as he mysteriously appears.

the ambiguity is wiped out by the last shot and him telling the little man while he is working on the gravestone for the sheriff ‘you know my name’.

As I recall, Clint provides the voice for the sheriff as well. There’s also the little thing about him knowing about the towns people, their relationship to his killing thst is never explained yet he knows so yeah dumb.

21. It’s a different sort,of movie. It’s it’s equal,for,sure but it isn’t quite the same film either in terms of its goals.

22. Maggie

As I mentioned, there are foreign language dubs where he explicitly says that the sheriff was his brother during that last scene.

It's not dumb, it's literally what is stated in (some versions of) the movie.

23. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

"The Last Jedi was amazing."

:crazy:

hi_watt and malcolm reynolds like this.
  24. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Christopher Nolan is a genius who is probably only matched by Zack Snyder.

polchik likes this.
  25. Timothy Aborn

Timothy Aborn Forum Resident

I knew a guy in college who though The Dark Knight was directed by Michael Bay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.