New MidFi Setup $2K Turntable Budget Suggestions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tubby, Sep 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

Marantz TT-15S1

I would find it hard to believe that you could find anything not used or heavily discounted that could better it for under 2K

2. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I was mistaken thinking the LS50 wireless had some standard speaker terminals as an option but they don't. I guess you have no other options than using that 3.5mm input or converting the analog signal to digital and using the dig inputs.
    [​IMG]

3. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

The LS50 Wireless has RCA jacks for the auxiliary input, while the newer LS50 Wireless II pictured above has the 3.5mm jack. Uses less real estate.

4. Tubby

Tubby Well-Known Member Thread Starter

If I was really fiddly about the conversion I could get an analog to digital converter and go into the coaxial input at 24/192. I'd have to use the network cable between the speakers to do that. Or I could just trust that I probably couldn't tell the difference between the KEF's conversion and anything else I'd spend a reasonable amount of money on.

5. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I don't know, but maybe the stylus on the Sony is in need of cleaning, adjustment, or replacement. But OF COURSE a new Rega or Technics TT and good cart WILL sound better! Even if the Sony cart/stylus was fixed.

6. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Of course, those would be the upgrades I was talking about ... but likely the new TT (with decent phono preamp, either separate or the one in the 1500C) into the 3.5mm jack will be a vast improvement. Later if you find it lacking, say compared to the same file (as possible, played thru one of the digital inputs) then look into upgrades to digitizer and/or phono stages. Seems to me something like the 1500C (or Rega+stage) into the 3.5mm jack would be the place to start.

PS/Edit: Seems like the KEFs have remote control of input switching ... cue up say the Aja record and play a downloaded high res digital file at the same time. I did this with my setup and (back then) heard "no" difference other than surface noise between my phono and CD sources. This was phono into McIntosh C220 phono section vs. balanced input from my Cambridge CD player, as listed in my sig file. Instruments, musicality, soundstaging/imaging/depth/space ... all were as identical to each other as I could ascertain.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  7. Tubby

The Sony's stylus is shot I think. I cleaned it and my record pretty well last night thinking that it couldn't possibly sound that bad. Minor improvement, but not much.

Rick58 likes this.
  8. Davey

Well, that was kind of my point with the post above, there are some good digital phono preamps now, such as the Parks Puffin with optional 24/96 digital output, so that opens up your possibilities and provides a lot of flexibility in tailoring the sound from your turntable. If you are going to digitize your turntable, may as well do it to the most advantage and bring in the added DSP control.

But agree with some of the posters above too, the SL-1500C would make a clean setup with a decent cartridge. Not the way I would go, but a good recommendation.

Tubby likes this.
  9. Tubby

Wow, I was expecting that to be a lot more expensive just by the nature of the product.

10. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

It's too bad they don't put a couple of binding posts on there to be able to bypass the internal amp.

11. Davey

But if you don't want the internal amps and crossover and all the rest of the electronics, wouldn't you just buy the LS50 Meta? I don't see what binding posts would get you, kinda defeats the whole purpose :)

Boltman92124 likes this.
  12. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Yeah I know but things change down the line if the owner of a good speaker decides to want some separates. This thread demonstrates that the design is not turntable friendly also. How good is that 3.5mm input? Does it also convert the signal to digital?

13. Tubby

If there was an option to bypass the internal amp and processing and access the speakers as you would any passive speaker, I would have purchased them MUCH faster. The only thing that slowed me up was the all in one nature of them and possible issues down the road on the closed ecosystem approach.

14. Davey

Yes, the auxiliary input is converted to digital. All inputs are converted to either 96/24 or 192/24 PCM, rate dependent on whether you are running wireless connection.

But all this talk about the speakers is getting a little off topic. That is the existing system, the OP just wants suggestions on a new turntable, cartridge and phono preamp.

Rick58 likes this.
  15. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Why is it OT? It is the entire system and the bottleneck. I don't see the point in spending big bucks on the phono section in this set-up. It's all getting A/D by the all in one system anyway. I'd go back to the 1500c recommendations for the OP.

16. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

2nd this. Just got one and it's fantastic.

Rick58 likes this.
  17. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

If one is converting analog to digital, whats the purpose?
    Why not stick with high rez digital?
    Perhaps I'm misunderstanding.

Boltman92124 likes this.
  18. Tubby

I have some records that are not available on streaming platforms.

Slick Willie likes this.
  19. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

If you want a turntable now brother, get one! Forum threads are a wormhole. Have fun! PS- I'm sure it will sound great. Get a good cartridge!

20. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

Im tired of the term "midfi" (which I have used in the past)bc it seems like most people use it bc they feel that whatever they are talking about does not cost enough to qualify as "hifi". Screw that, if someone likes the sound of a piece of gear, it is "hifi" as far as Im concerned. The cost of something should not determine if it is "hifi", "midfi" or "lowfi" as there are examples of cheap stuff that sounds very good, and very expensive gear that does not sound so good. Not to mention, one mans trash is another mans treasure (and vice versa).

Apologies for the rant and not adding to what you were looking for. :)

21. Tubby

Something interesting I've noticed, it would appear that Technic's own R class integrated amplifier also completely digitizes all signals from what I can tell. So even if you went all in on their Reference class system, your turntable would still be converted.

22. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Okay, but doesn't alter my point.

23. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I disagree, the 6 has the foam-core plinth which elevates it above Planar 3 performance.

24. Tubby

I agree, I just thought it was interesting that in thread discussing current production Technics turntables,
    even Technics is converting at the highest end of their gear.

25. merlperl

merlperl Forum Resident

I stuck a Hana ml (a LOMC)on a Rega RP-6 and there is no hum, no howl, no noise. The phono stage is the one built i to my audio research SP-20 pre amp. The table has an upgraded sub platter (groovetracer) and low slung weight. But those mods are not necessary. OP could use a Rega and LOMC for a little more than $2k and get high end sound with out a lot of work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.