Receiver needs servicing..........hope I don't have to replace it

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Pinhead, Aug 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

It is not unusual when dealing with an old piece of gear to fix what you traced to be the issue and then have something else happen. Not saying I know what is wrong btw. It could be as simple as a solder break during the transport back home. One never knows till one looks. The Techs comments to you may not be to your liking but he is telling you that it may not be economical to fix the unit. If you said price is no object you might get a different reply. Parts are not abundant and finding the issue will take time and care. As much as you love it, could be time to move on.

The Pinhead likes this.
  2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL Thread Starter

Yes I will. He owes me that much. Hope he nails it this time. A used RA-1570 (with pre OUT and IN) goes for 1500 buck. The new version (without pre in/out), the 1572,retails at 2700. I paid 250 for the SX, in 1993:(

Considering a new Rotel. 1.6K in the USA, 2.7K down here, like Yam 1200 (which I don't like)

Should indeed

Not at all. Repairing is quite an ordeal in this neck of the woods. Every technician wants your money, but are too lazy to repair, esp when facing any degree of difficulty. Latin America man ! There's a nice, used Accuphase EV360 for sale, but it seems overkill for my modest floorstanders, costs 3.5 K , and doesn't come with a phono stage !

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  3. The Pinhead

Wise words; thanx. Would you try another tech if in my shoes ?

4. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

There might be a solution. Get a list of parts you need. I will see if I can find them all here and what they would cost, plus shipping. If you have PayPal - you can send money here, and I can ship your package to B'Aires by Fedex, with tracking. Then give it to a tech you trust, problem solved.

5. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

Since you seem very fond of it yes. The receiver is to old to be able to swap boards or other modules. So a tech has to nail the issue by signal tracing and perhaps stress testing a local group of circuits when he gets close. Solder joints get brittle on boards and a little jostle can crack one. You said it is an ordeal to move it because of weight and location. I would give the tech some consideration and encouragement. He has done right by you in the past and likely wants to get it done right.

6. The Pinhead

Wow; that'd be just ACE, assuming a tech can eventually determine what parts are kaput. Yes I do have a PayPal account:righton:

Benzion likes this.
  7. mexipike

mexipike Forum Resident

While we’re on the subject of Pioneer repairs- I have a friend in Austin, TX that needs one repaired- where should he take it or send it?

8. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

Let me ask you a question. Say you get the Tech to spend the time to find out what the issue is to the best he can do in diagnostic phase. You come along and do what next, take back the unit and ask him for a parts list? Then do the repairs yourself? I get it if he says he needs some part he can't get and you offer assistance in getting it. If I was the Tech and I needed the work and agreed to use whatever parts you provide, I would never warranty the work. The Tech has no idea of your sourcing not the quality you will provide. My advice is let the guy do his job and fix it. You do want a clear understanding of the terms of the repair...for sure. I bet the moment you tell him you will supply the parts he gives you the unit back.

9. AL01

AL01 Eh?

I know that a dealer where I live in Southern Texas sends their units off to Pyramid Audio. I HAVE NOT done ANY business with them, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I also believe that they make upgraded replacements for certain STK modules that were used on Pioneers of that era.

I wish your friend luck, and please keep me updated, (as I would like to now too...)

10. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

We should "Crowd Fund" Martin's new amp!

M.R.Collins and Glmoneydawg like this.
  11. Benzion

I'm in - it's easier to contribute money, than to hunt for parts and send them to South America, hoping they arrive intact.

I do mean I'm in, if it happens. Who will start the campaign?

M.R.Collins and Ntotrar like this.
  12. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

He has a PayPal account. Couldn't we just send him donations as gifts?

M.R.Collins likes this.
  13. Benzion

Brilliant!

@The Pinhead: Martin, over in B'aires, is there a dealer that stocks some amp that you would consider buying, if the receiver turns kaput in the end? Between us regulars here, I believe we can make it happen.

EDIT: I'm not chickening out of my offer to get parts for you, either, if that's the route you choose.

Ntotrar and M.R.Collins like this.
  14. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

He was considering a Rotel and a Yamaha (on second read)...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  15. Benzion

Good.

16. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

I looked into this a couple of days ago.....apparently home audio is not big in Argentina:(

17. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

1000 Argentine Pesos is just over $10 US dollars.

18. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

We could do both, The expense would be negligible.

Benzion likes this.
  19. Benzion

I don't think he meant Pesos when quoting prices.

20. The Pinhead

No man; american dollars:laugh:

Rotel RA-1572 (smallest one available, but 120wpc) USA 1600 / Argentina 2700:yikes:. Yup; that much more expensive (taxes and more taxes). I woudn't be able to eq the TT unless I bought an external phono sage (no tape monitor or pre in/out, like most integrateds.

BUT, I could hook up my secondary amp, the Technics SU-V5; a good amp, yet clearly inferior to the Pioneer, which I've been using for live concert DVD viewing. I've never checked how the phono stage sounds, or listened to CDs through it. Thing is it's only 3-4 years more ¨modern¨than the Pioneer and may last not much more:shrug:. All of my amps have always been used, because they've been the more expensive part of my rigs. My first one was a 25wpc Kenwood, but i soon traded for better, more powerful used one, and never kept one till it died (like apparently the Pioneer) but there's a first time for everything.

I was thinking about a Rotel RC-1573 (preamp) + a Parasound New Classic 275 V2 , just to be able to intecalate my 3 signal processors in the signal path, but this would mean forking out some 3K, and I dunno whether it's a good-sounding combo, or maybe overkill for my humble floorstanders.

21. The Pinhead

Right you are man ! I'm going to make the 90km round trip to the tech again, tomorrow, so he can honor the ¨guarantee¨. I've been using his services and buying audio stuff from him for for the last 14 years, he's turned 71, and this is the first time one of his jobs goes sideways, and he's keeping my money if he can't repair the unit:realmad:. It's the last time he's gonna see my ugly mug, for there's a vintage audio audio technician 5km away from home, whom I don't have references from, but am willing to give a try. At least he says he doesn't charge for what he cannot repair.

22. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I'm sure he wasn't but raising 3K wouldn't be that tough!

23. Benzion

Agreed. I'm still in. We need more participants though.

24. The Pinhead

That so nice I can't believe it:bigeek:. But I can't allow it. A grown man either buys his own stuff or does without it. But the idea is downright moving; thanx so much:tiphat:

OhHiMahk, Benzion and csgreene like this.
  25. Benzion

Back to the spare parts then.

The Pinhead likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.