Current Paul McCartney news thread (interviews, articles, miscellaneous)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Jonpd

Jonpd Forum Resident

Catch Paul’s first live in-person event in two years, as he discusses ‘The Lyrics’ and reflects on his life, his songs and his creative process with Paul Muldoon.

THE LYRICS: Paul McCartney

in Conversation

In a world-exclusive event, Paul McCartney celebrates his new book, The Lyrics: 1956 to the Present, with author Paul Muldoon, chaired by Samira Ahmed.

Friday 5 November, 7.30pm GMT at the Southbank Centre’s Royal Festival Hall.

MORE INFORMATION

Southbank Centre Members get the first chance to book from

Thursday 16th September, 10am.

General booking and tickets for the livestream open

Friday 17th September, 10am.

The event will be live streamed around the world by DICE and available on demand for 7 days. Get your livestream tickets here!

dralan likes this.
  2. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Cheers! :righton:

Jonpd likes this.
  3. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

It'll be interesting to see if Paul provides insights that aren't detailed in the Lyrics books.

I hope this is entertaining for all and good luck to those seeking tickets.

Who Cares likes this.
  4. Mamunia

Mamunia Forum Resident

Who Cares and Ken.e. like this.
  5. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

It is a nice story.

I wonder what the track was?
    What was the timeframe that happened in?
    Was it recent [ie, a new recording]?
    Will we ever hear Paul relate a story about "I forgot to bring drumsticks to this session...."?

:-popcorn:

Who Cares likes this.
  6. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Interesting, but seems doubtful. I would expect more of a "previews of the book" bunch of stories...

[I would love to be proven wrong, though...]

omikron likes this.
  7. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

I sure hope MPL is watching the reviews for Dylan's Springtime In New York: The Bootleg Series Vol. 16 (1980-1985) come rolling in.

Rolling Stones headline:
    Was Bob Dylan Good in the Eighties? A New Edition of ‘The Bootleg Series’ Makes Us Think the Answer is ‘Yes’

There are several others which admit that a reappraisal of this era is crucial.

I strongly believe the best way McCartney could reissue Broadstreet and Press to Play is as one larger package that remixes/reimagines 1984-1987.
    Spies Like Us, Broadstreet, Frog Chorus, Press To Play, Once Upon a Long Ago, Return to Pepperland, The Russian album spread out of several discs,
    perhaps resequenced. Forcing reviewers and fans to rethink the output may finally put to bed the false notion that this was a terrible period for him as an artist.

jeremylr, forthlin, DK Pete and 6 others like this.
  8. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I would agree. Much of the "Return to Pepperland" material is my favorite from the eightees. Heck...just have a high quality version of this....

supermd, RAJ717, omikron and 2 others like this.
  9. Elliottmarx

As I mentioned upthread, John and Paul have a writing credit on Drake's #1 album Certified Lover Boy. Their contribution in not minor, the song Champagne Poetry is based on Michelle. Billboard did the numbers:

The two Beatles are credited as writers on "Champagne Poetry," which samples Masego's 2017 song "Navajo," which in turn takes from the Fab Four's Grammy Award-winning 1965 song "Michelle." You'll recognize a remixed McCartney singing, "I love you, I love you, I love you/ That's all I want to say/ Until I find a way/ I will say the only words I know that you'll understand."

The late Lennon ranks in the Hot 100's top 10 as a writer for the first time since January 1996, when The Beatles' "Free as a Bird" became the group's 34th and most recent top 10, reaching No. 6. Covers of Beatles and Lennon's solo songs have hit the Hot 100 over the past decade, including by the Glee Cast, John Legend and Adam Levine.

McCartney scores his first top 10 Hot 100 entry as a writer since the No. 4-peaking "FourFiveSeconds," on which he's also credited as an artist, with Rihanna and Kanye West, in 2015.

CDC, jmxw, coco77 and 1 other person like this.
  10. amershamman

amershamman Forum Resident

Well, I snagged a couple of tickets for Paul’s chat at the Festival Hall. It wasn’t too arduous, compared with the online battles of getting through for popular gigs these days. Did anyone else get lucky?

dralan, foxylady, Ms. Daisy and 6 others like this.
  11. Elliottmarx

Was there a camera restriction announced?

12. Jonpd

Jonpd Forum Resident

Stuck in the queue, get near and then sold out!

amershamman likes this.
  13. amershamman

amershamman Forum Resident

Not that I’ve seen so far

14. bward

bward Senior Member

About five years ago, I would have thought, "No way, there's no rehabilitating Macca's mid 80s work. It is what it is."
    But I've come around.
    I thought the same about the Wild Life/RRS era.
    And the Mc2 material.
    And look what the Archives did for those.
    Done right, a Macca's 80's box, from Broad Street to Pepperland, might, (emphasizing might) go a long way for Macca.
    Or, it could result in a new wave of ridicule (how many Frog Song puns would we have to endure?).
    I'm a half glass full kind of guy. So maybe it would work.
    But I guess a Go Big or Go Home approach might be the best, and only way, to approach this era.
    A nice book, with colorful pictures, some detailed recording notes, it'd be hard to resist, actually. And this is my least favorite Macca era, by far.

omikron and bluedemon25 like this.
  15. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I love Paul and am often on the same page as you, but that just sounds this side of horrendous! I'd just focus on Press to Play and make as nice of a release out of that as you could, i.e. demos, extra tracks, maybe remix it to lose some of the '80's sound excesses.

16. edenofflowers

I hope everyone who got a ticket has a fantastic time. Unfortunately things are a bit limited financially at the moment so I decided against trying. I'm sure a splendid time will be had by all. :righton:

Who Cares, omikron, Jonpd and 2 others like this.
  17. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

Welp, I lost out. I was on it at exactly 10am and immediately got put in a queue of 1800. :faint: So by the time it whittled down to 500 or so the tickets sold out. In the end I bought the streaming ticket, which is better than nothing, but I gotta tell you guys I was gutted. It ruined my day. lol. I so wanted to be there in person. Oh well. Can't have it all I suppose. I'm lucky I got to tour Abbey Road Studios so that's how I console myself. I've done one Beatlely thing!

Edit: anyone else get tickets of any kind?

18. edenofflowers

A shame to see you lost out. I was certain you'd be one of the lucky ones. That Macca sure is a popular lad! Nice to see it's at least getting streamed though. Someone from the forum needs to ask Macca what he thinks of world-famous and much beloved comedian and Fab expert Arnold Grove. Macca: "Yeah, I know the place!"

I did Abbey Road too once upon a time and it was magical. I hope to give Liverpool a Beatlecentric visit some time soon.

Who Cares, omikron, dralan and 3 others like this.
  19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Excellent idea; it would put a whole new slant-for the better-on his mid eighties material.

Elliottmarx likes this.
  20. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

Yeah, not my lucky day. I was just so disappointed because it's not often we get these opportunities now, with them getting older and all, and what with me discovering Paul and the Beatles too late, I never got to see Paul in concert. I can't think when I would ever be able to see him in person now? I really can't see him touring again.

And yes, for me next stop: Liverpool! It's crazy that I haven't been when it's on the doorstep really, compared to those who make the effort to travel from abroad.

21. supermd

supermd Senior Member

My first "real time" McCartney album? Chaos and Creation in the Backyard. Not bad. :)

Paul H and Who Cares like this.
  22. edenofflowers

I didn't realise you were a relative newcomer. I REALLY hope Paul tours again, I've seen him a few times but it's been a few years now and I'm in the mood for more. I guarantee when you see him live, and I think you'll get the opportunity in the next 18 months or so, you'll be singing, dancing and crying at the same time. In person, surrounded by all ages of different fans, singing along to Hey Jude never gets old for me. Always spine tingling. Here Today is heartbreakingly beautiful at this point in Macca's life. I'm sure there'll be another chance to see him live. I certainly hope so.

Alen, omikron, Jonpd and 2 others like this.
  23. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Sure. But first.......

Let's close out the 1970's, shall we? Please...?

:waiting:

24. coco77

coco77 Forum Resident

I’d wondered if you’d gotten a ticket! How disappointing. I’m still debating buying a ticket for the livestream.

I’m a relative newcomer as well (3-4 years? can’t remember) and have never had a chance to see him, so you’re not alone. I actually could see him doing another tour, but maybe it’s just wishful thinking on my part!! :)

Who Cares, dralan, Ms. Daisy and 2 others like this.
  25. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

I sure hope he does! Maybe @edenofflowers is right in saying there's still another tour in him in the next 18 months? I'd love to experience Hey Jude with a big crowd. You should get the streaming ticket! I saw that they had a UK and US option for that.

Jonpd, edenofflowers and coco77 like this.