Spending 10% of earning for Audio Hardware, is it sensible?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Melody50, Sep 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. h1pst3r88

h1pst3r88 Forum Resident

Try Boston... I'm right there with you. Except that my 1860 Victorian has quadrupled in value in 18 years (and continues to rise).

2. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Nice! I have a lot of family in the Boston area. Home values way up out here too. 25% of after tax income on the mortgage payment is still a lot though! Get there easier with two income families.

h1pst3r88 likes this.
  3. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Happy cook happy me.

4. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Live fast
    Die young
    Leave a good looking corpse

Oscillation likes this.
  5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Depends on if you would get the same level of self-satisfaction had you instead spent that as tax-deductible charitable donations, or a tithe to your, ummm, "denominational social organization"...

And then there's the question of whether you intend to continue this allocation throughout your working life, or just until you get the system (in the case of a turntable, of course, I can expect you're likely to continue for years after you've thought you were done...those things are like hot rods and teens...).

6. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Ahhhh digital. Well the digital I have HAS gone up in value. I own an Oppo player. Not real expensive, but now out of business and coveted. I'm mainly into analog. But good preamps and amps will hold value.

7. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

I fully agree with your first two points.

Oscillation likes this.
  8. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses?

Are you paraphrasing Dylan?

9. carbonti

carbonti Forum Resident

I do not disagree with you. I am largely in the same housing market situation as California here in downstate New York/Manhattan. Except I’d guess a Manhattan apartment won’t shown the same appreciation as you have because of COVID - at worst probably flat since 2014. I spend as much of income on housing as you. Things cost what they cost for very good reasons and if you’re not OK with that we wouldn’t be living where we live.

But I wanted to remind you that a real estate dwelling might best be most financially conservatively viewed as a non-performing asset. After all, you still need a place to live. It matters only to realize the cap gain when you cash out selling the property and then what? All these folks that experienced large housing valuations during COVID fail to recognize the wash in selling property unless they were taking those gains from a high cost location to a low cost location. To me that is not living because I like where I live and have no interest in speculating where the next hot housing market is by buying and living there myself.

But you and me - no worries. San Jose - gold. Manhattan - gold.

Ingenieur likes this.
  10. Khorn

Who is Dylan?

11. Oscillation

You know, "Do not go gently into that good night"

ssmith3046 and Khorn like this.
  12. Ingenieur

Writer/poet, not musician (although he did too)
    First vs. last name

Oscillation and Khorn like this.
  13. Oscillation

Bob Dylan Ballad of a Thin man
    "But nobody has any respect, anyway they already expect you to all give a check
    To tax-deductible charity organizations…"

Tim Irvine likes this.
  14. Khorn

One of my absolute favourite compositions.

Oscillation likes this.
  15. Oscillation

You and me both brother :)

16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

As Paul Simon said, "...unless you're talkin' about Dylan Thomas...whoever HE wuz..."

Khorn likes this.
  17. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Probably, if you've got everything else covered . . . including savings, appropriate insurances, education funds for kids if any, home maintenance and repair, on down the line . . .

18. That depends on many things...especially the number of commas in your 10%.
    My $55 is meager compared to others.

Khorn likes this.
  19. Oscillation

Please stop with these equivalencies. It doesn't depend on anything. If you spend 10% of your income every year for 20 years on stereo equipment you need to put down the crack pipe.

Tim Irvine, csgreene and timind like this.
  20. Khorn

It depends on so many things. Let’s say I start out with a relatively good system that totals around 50k. Suppose I’m happy with my speakers which will be the biggest expenditure.

All I would probably have to spend over the life of the system is the cost of replacing equipment that is not performing well or faulty or maybe there is enough advances in the front end source to warrant upgrade.

Unless I require or desire a whole new system or I move to a very different space I can’t see why I would keep replacing equipment at regular intervals.

Other than my speakers my systems usually lasts for an average of about 15 years or so before needing major change.

I think this would be very average but maybe I’m way off base.

21. Ingenieur

You can run comparisons and many times renting and buying are closer than one may think in the long run.

I never looked at my home as an investment per se, but a place to settle and modify to suit.

If you own a home 20 years and it doubles in value but with mortgage interest you paid double it's listed price. Not to mention real estate taxes, up keep, etc.

Sell it
    Buy up to avoid gains
    Buy down and pay the gains

It usually ends up being cheap rent

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  22. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Compared to me you're way off base. Compared to others around here, you're a lightweight! ;) I don't change anything ever unless it breaks once I've found something I like. I've been using the same speakers, amps, turntables, CDs, cassette decks, etc. for years. Some going back 35+ years.

Carl Swanson and Khorn like this.
  23. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm good on equipment. My money goes to buying music. Used to be records and CDs now CDs or SACDs.

Khorn likes this.
  24. Khorn

All I’m looking at now is a reasonably priced redbook CD transport so that I can access my disc/sacd library. It’s all I really require or desire.

Ingenieur likes this.
  25. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Didn't you just spend a fortune on a new digital system?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.