Spending 10% of earning for Audio Hardware, is it sensible?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Melody50, Sep 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Could have spent that 10% on Heroin or Meth. Music makes my world go round. Second best thing in life next to family, what's left of it.

Blue Devil and Ingenieur like this.
  2. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Depends on how much bills you have.

3. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Streamer/DAC
    No transport

and he got top of the line stuff
    Not sure it's a fortune, but a pretty penny

4. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

You only live once. As long as this spending does not have a serious negative impact on important other aspects of you and your family's lives, I say do what makes you happy and makes life more enjoyable. Just my two cents.

jonwoody and Ingenieur like this.
  5. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Yes but I based it all on streaming cause of movement limiting physical disability. I have a decent Cd/SACD library that is almost a crime not to use. I’m perfectly happy with redbook reproduction so I’m limiting it to a redbook transport as most of the SACDs are dual layer anyway. If I got it why not use it.
    Yes, the new amplification system and Streamer Dac are performing beyond my wildest expectations. I’m really content now.

jonwoody and csgreene like this.
  6. Ingenieur

Cambridge Audio builds some quality equipment. Good value.
    I can't attest to the sound of this transport but have yet to find a phono amp with better specs than my Solo. As far as SQ, imo, excellent.
    Not sure about SACD's though

CXC

Best CD transport under £500, Awards 2015. If you already have a DAC, this superb-sounding CD transport makes perfect sense
    Home review

Mr. Bewlay and Khorn like this.
  7. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

That's all that matters!

Khorn likes this.
  8. Ingenieur

I'll say this, you're 78 and still growing and learning. I hope I have 1/2 the zeal and enthusiasm as you when I get there, IF I get there.
    Seeing this gives one hope.

4-2-7, jonwoody and Khorn like this.
  9. Khorn

Thanks. This looks like a superb bargain. Honestly the things that I was looking at as far as DACs and transport were in the 20k - 30k range. Great stuff but rather insane for my current system and space.
    I’m certainly going to check this one out.

Thanks again.

10. james

james Summon The Queen

After doing this for 20 years, I get the most satisfaction out of finding the point of diminishing returns and feel a little guilty spending the big bucks (only due to my head of the household position).

if I won the lottery a dumb audio purchase would be my big splurge and it would be a lot more than 10% of salary.

OP, are you saying spend 10% every year and accumulate gear or are you recuperating the cost of some gear? I could see a splurge year and riding that total cost year over year, but continuing to put 10% more in each year wouldn’t work for me and I assume 99% of people.

SteveFord and jonwoody like this.
  11. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Different people have different incomes, different expenditures, and different circumstances. I fully get that I'm incredibly privileged compared to most. House payment, $0, it's fully paid off. Car payment, $0, I work from home and my wife never even bothered to learn how to drive because she's lived three blocks or less from a subway stop her entire life. Money spent on kids, $0 because said wife made it clear as soon as we started getting serious that that was never happening. So it's basically just the daily living expenses and putting away savings.

But honestly, it would never even occur to me to spend 10% of either gross or net on audio gear, just because there's not that much stuff per year I would want to buy!

Arguably we DO spend 10% of our income per year on records between my purchases and hers...

jonwoody and Khorn like this.
  12. timind

timind phorum rezident

Not even close. But as the OP is in Thailand, I'd guess quality audio products are quite a bit more expensive than in the US.

13. Melody50

Melody50 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Comparatively the annual income is also lower

jonwoody likes this.
  14. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

That of course makes total sense and it's still very impressive over such a long period. Also I think there is a income/expensive bell curve and in a certain ratio of income vs expenses where this sort of expenditure becomes possible. Assuming of course you don't put yourself seriously in debt or blow off crucial things, say food, to pursue audio.

15. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Tim maybe US/Euro products but I would guess gear from the Asian markets might be more affordable. I of course know nothing of Thailand or the hifi market there just throwing darts.

timind likes this.
  16. Blue Devil

Blue Devil Forum Resident

You only live once :)

17. Melody50

Melody50 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, some equipment 10 to 20% higher

timind likes this.
  18. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

I would say 90% of my extra money has gone to music related purchases over the last 40 years.

19. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Yes, and most will live a longer life than they realize when they're young. If one isn't prepared for that financially, the rest of their life will suck.

20. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Question, why would anyone in the world think that spending 0.5% be worthy of questioning and starting a thread about it?

21. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

I haven't really spent much money on the hobby since '13... purchased Forte IV in February and am currently having an amp built.... will be done for a while

22. Khorn

The old “shoulda coulda woulda” deal. Unfortunately been there, done that. If only……I can see the $$$$$ flying away now.

csgreene likes this.
  23. timind

timind phorum rezident

I wasn't thinking of it along those lines. I was thinking of import taxes which aren't as high as I expected (google).

It was a lot of years ago, but I spent a year in Thailand. Beautiful country.

jonwoody likes this.
  24. Ingenieur

you tell me
    I have no idea why people do the things they do

have spend 10% of my earning on Audio products ... for last 20 years

as I said
    0.5% per year, who cares

2 x 1 years salary
    Seems like a lot

Since it would be after tax, closer to 3 years take home in the US or 15%/year

In US$ 100k salary, $300k
    That did not seem likely

25. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I guess my point was, why in the world would anyone go through the trouble of creating a thread on a forum asking if $250 per year is crazy to spend on a setup of their (hypothetical) salary were $50K per year. That just doesn’t seem like a possibility.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.