Current Paul McCartney news thread (interviews, articles, miscellaneous)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Aug 15, 2016.

1. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

If it’s a broadcast event as this is, I would bet no cameras allowed. Like the Grand Central Terminal, they took phones and cameras and locked them in these sealed bags

Floater and Elliottmarx like this.
  2. coco77

coco77 Forum Resident

I hope so too! I probably will buy the streaming ticket, I’m just feeling guilty because I’ve spent too much on Paul already this year :laugh:

3. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

How much for a streaming ticket?

4. coco77

coco77 Forum Resident

14 bucks! Not really that much.

Dr. Pepper and Elliottmarx like this.
  5. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

Are you going?

6. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

I’d consider it, but do I really think there’s any chance Paul will tell even 10mins of stories I haven’t heard? No, I don’t.

When he does this in Boise :biglaugh:I’ll be first in line, but I’ll save my $$ until then.

7. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

No, I didn’t even try. But should be fun for those who go

susyredstripe likes this.
  8. Ms. Daisy

Ms. Daisy Forum Resident

Sorry that you didn't get tickets! You should definitely go to Liverpool. I went in 2003 (almost 20 years now!) and it was magical!

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt likes this.
  9. bward

bward Senior Member

That’d be nice.

But who can see the mind of MPL?

jmxw likes this.
  10. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Having seen Paul 6 times and had a glorious time each occasion, I actually hope he doesn't tour again. His voice is pretty much shot. Go out with some dignity and let us keep the memories rather than croaking his way through songs he can't really sing anymore.

omikron and Frank like this.
  11. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

I don’t disagree re: quality of voice. Was shocked at my first 2016 show, after really enjoying two shows in 2014.

However, I won tix to Desert Trip, later in 2016, and took a friend. I warned him about Paul’s voice and … he thought he sounded pretty good. So I say, don’t go if you think you’ll be disappointed. But never say a performer can’t continue. Others may have a different experience than yours (or mine). I’m not sure if I’d go again, even if I had the opportunity. But I’d like folks like @MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt to have a shot, rather than you and me saying no…

12. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Yes, I'm really bothered by the seeming narcissism of people who want an artist to stop because they don't want their memories of them corrupted.

supermd, jesse, HitAndRun and 8 others like this.
  13. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I don't want to imagine a world without"Egypt Station" or "McCartney lll".

14. Diego Esparcia

Diego Esparcia Forum Resident

15. amershamman

amershamman Forum Resident

Sorry to hear it didn’t work out for you. I thought I was late, as I started at 9.20am and there was 750 in from me. I thought as the members only sale was the day before, there would be virtually no chance.

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt likes this.
  16. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Tord, Paul H, Ms. Daisy and 5 others like this.
  17. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

With the band adding their voices, the echoing in the arena and the audience singing, you really don't notice any seasoning in Paul's voice.

Please anyone, don't be discouraged and go to a Paul concert if the opportunity arises.

18. bward

bward Senior Member

I'd like to second this

There is something about seeing him in the flesh, watching how he interacts with the audience, that incredible shared experience that transcends the current state of his voice, which all things considered, isn't bad.

It's all in the expectations.

If you want to see 1976 Paul, you can't.

But you can see the same man, considerably older and wiser, still supremely talented and personable, staging a show that will (if you have a pulse) find you unexpectedly experiencing emotions you might not think still possible out in public (you might cry).

McCartney is one of a kind. If you have a chance to see him GO.

Don't let a sarcastic comment or a You Tube video stop you.

Macca's legacy is unshakeable. Just go. This isn't REO Speedwagon! It's Paul!

Of course, all this is predicated on having available credit left on your card after all these box sets...

Enjoy the weekend, friends.

19. Snoddywilko

Snoddywilko Forum Resident

I second this.

I took my father & his childhood friend to see Paul live in 2015. It was my first time seeing him & their first time seeing him since they saw The Beatles live in ‘64 & ‘65.

We all thoroughly enjoyed the show; it was an incredible experience.

20. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Oh, you just had to bring REO into it, did ya? ;)

[​IMG]

21. bward

bward Senior Member

LOL!!
    Look at those Wings! Posers.

linklinc, jmxw and omikron like this.
  22. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Received my SDE Press To Play At 35 booklet yesterday. Turns out I did get one signed by Hugh Padgham.
    Looks like a promising read.

supermd, Eska68, BeSteVenn and 7 others like this.
  23. Ms. Daisy

Ms. Daisy Forum Resident

I last saw Paul in May of 2019. I've been fortunate enough to see him multiple times over the years beginning in 2002. Of course, he sounded better in 2002 but he didn't sound bad in 2019 either. I still enjoyed it. There is still something magical about seeing the man sing his songs. Go if you get the chance.

I envy those of you lucky enough to get tickets the Lyrics talk. I'd pay just to hear him sit on stage telling stories.

24. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

25. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

Mine has arrived as well. I too caught one of those few with Hugh's signature included. Well, I pressed the Buy Now button before even the corresponding article went online. Therefore I would have expected a lower number, mine is 353, I guess they were distributed kind of at random, but I do not care, I just noticed. And 353 is a beautiful number, isn't it?
    It is a very beautiful booklet, though it is merely a magazine like special, offering several articles and angles on the album.
    The printing es very nice, it is visibly a labour of love with attention to detail that is becoming a trademark of these keepsakes. Though, if you want to read the excellent Eric Steward interview on paper, get the Decade booklet (it is career spanning and covers much more than just McCartney, so that is fair), which thick and rich on content, including this interview. And Mike McCartney as well.
    I took this opportunity to complete my McCartney SDE collection, as I missed the Archives booklet. I do already have got the Flowers one.
    All highly recommended, get any of these while you can, signed, unsigned, don't care. (To be honest, unsigned would more convenient for reading pleasure ... I could be a bit less careful. But how could I pass on this chance ... no way. And buying two ... someone else would have to miss out, which would make that unjustifyably selfish.)