Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Edit above: Comrade not Congress. Thank you AI on iPhone for substituting your judgment once again?!?

Mild Mavis and TonyACT like this.
  2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now enjoying this 2CD set. Transfers are by Mark Obert-Thorn and are, as always with him, superb! This is the first I have heard of this pianist. After a few tracks, one thing is clear - she could play! Recommended.

Daedalus, Mild Mavis, Wes H and 2 others like this.
  3. Daedalus

Discovering this composer:[​IMG]

Zardok, TonyACT and George P like this.
  4. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Speaking of which, is it okay to mention I started a thread in the forums to discuss versions of the Four Seasons? It's made it to four pages to date :cool:

No idea how to link it :confused:

Mild Mavis likes this.
  5. George P

Hi Tony,

This thread is intended to be a catch all for classical music discussion, so there is certainly room in this thread for discussions like you describe. I'd prefer that visitors to this thread not be directed away from it.

What I sometimes do is paste a link to this thread when I see a classical music thread come up in the main forum. To do that, I just mention this thread, suggest they post their classical music question/topic here and paste this link in it: Classical Corner - Classical Music Corner

Mild Mavis and TonyACT like this.
  6. Jskoda

Jskoda Forum Resident

I found this very strange copy of Fiedler's POPS CAVIAR, RCA LSC-2202, today at a thrift store and had to buy it (for $1). I'm posting about it here because some of you folks might understand what I'm even talking about!

They've made this a stereo copy (from a mono cover slick) by placing a specially-printed sticker over the mono catalog number and RCA logo, upper right. You probably can't tell from the photo, but it's a sticker. The cover graphic slick has been cut too high and cuts off the photo credit and "Printed in U.S.A." that should appear on bottom, but from the materials and the vinyl, it appears to be a U.S. copy.

The back cover has the graphic layout of the 1959 originals (which was changed with the 60s reissue version), but the label is the "white dog" label, used in the 1960s. LP is an Indianapolis pressing.

Maybe they were using up leftover graphics laying around the warehouse?

[​IMG]

Daedalus, Mild Mavis and TonyACT like this.
  7. Mild Mavis

Mild Mavis Forum Resident

I wonder why there is so little about serious music on these pages ie classical and jazz? So many threads about various pop genres though. Is it that people who listen to serious music don't frequent forums like this as much? These days I feel a bit lonely a s someone who listens 99% to serious music.

TonyACT likes this.
  8. Daedalus

I will be dipping into this box set( as well as continuing to explore the mega Karajan , etc) in the next several days! I was very happy to be able to secure this archival collection from an excellent conductor who may virtually unknown outside of Russia unless you are a student of historical Soviet/Russian classical music performance.[​IMG]

TonyACT and George P like this.
  9. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Clara Haskil
    Igor Markevitch
    Orchestre des Concerts Lamoureux
    Philips, 1961
    Mozart: Piano Concertos Nos. 20 & 24
    [​IMG]

from CD2 of the new Eloquence box set Igor Markevitch: The Philips Legacy, 26 CDs

[​IMG]

layman, Wugged, TonyACT and 3 others like this.
  10. George P

Hey Dale, can you tell me who mastered that set?

11. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I'm serious about pop as well ;)

And wasn't jazz just the popular music of its day, like a lot of classical?

Anyway, I suspect it reflects the proportion of the population who listen to each of the genres. Classical Music has been a minority interest for some time now. Luckily we have a corner of the forums to share a conversation with like-minded citizens of the world :)

Zardok, Mild Mavis, Daedalus and 2 others like this.
  12. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I have these performances in a Haskil box and absolutely love them, listened to them again just last week.

The box was one of those budget Documents / Membran collections but the sound is excellent. Is it different local laws that allows them to issue what is apparently a Philips recording or lapsed copyright?

flyingdutchman likes this.
  13. flyingdutchman

flyingdutchman Senior Member

ME TOO!

Åke Bergvall and TonyACT like this.
  14. dale 88

George, the Remastering Engineer is listed as Chris Bernauer. I don't know his work and haven't listened to enough of the box to comment yet.

If I didn't like Igor Markevitch quite a lot, the price of the Eloquence Australian sets would have deterred me. Even Presto charges the same as Amazon when you add in the shipping. The pre-order Amazon price was about 5.84 per disc. Today Amazon has raised the price of the set to about 7.15 per disc.

McLover, TonyACT and George P like this.
  15. George P

Thanks, yeah, that price surprised me. Didn't notice it until after I asked.

TonyACT likes this.
  16. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

It's interesting how our price expectations have changed. Twenty years ago I would have jumped at those prices in a classical box.

Nowadays I think carefully once the price per disc goes above $3-4.

17. Daedalus

This is another CD from the big Karajan box set. The sound on this one( from 60s) is clean and detailed if a bit remote-middle hall perhaps. The horns are pretty prominent( almost as aggressive as Russian style) and strings are pretty smooth. The yin and yang.[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    Nipper, George P and TonyACT like this.
  18. Mild Mavis

Jazz as pop of the day? Possibly in the USA but not here. Classical, yes, played from sheet music in all the best drawing rooms:D. Historically, I believe local folk music was the pop of the day for the vast majority. IMO many people can't be bothered to put in the time it takes to appreciate either of these huge genres, well, did take in my case.

TonyACT likes this.
  19. Mild Mavis

I listen to BBC R3 a little most days and discover the most amazing gems. Yesterday Suzi Klein played "And The Birds Are Still" by Takashi Yoshimatsu played by the Manchester Camerata. Another of those pieces that made me go "Wow". Apparently he was influenced by Pink Floyd (aren't most of us) amongst others.
    NB I believe this was, sadly, her last show as she is moving to the position of BBC Head of Arts and Classical Music TV.

McLover and TonyACT like this.
  20. Zardok

Zardok Forum Resident

I've only recently discovered Max Richter - I place his style somewhere between Glass and Michael Nyman but I am no expert. Would love to have recommendations and/or views on his work.

TonyACT likes this.
  21. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I like a lot of his music, though most here seem not to; 'elevator music' was about the politest response I got last time I mentioned him.

I really like his relatively recent release Voices, the two-disc set (with and without vocals) is worth a listen. Songs from Before is an interesting earlier release and Four Seasons: Recomposed in the CD/DVD version (with excellent violin playing from Daniel Hope) is my current favourite - but generally reviled on these forums.

I guess his style is minimalist, Glass does come to mind now and again, but he can be quite melodic at times.

[EDIT: Sleep will do what it's supposed to ;)]

22. Daedalus

And now this excellent CD. The performances and recording quality of them all sound superlative to me. [​IMG]

Wes H, Bevok, TonyACT and 2 others like this.
  23. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I bought this book a number of years ago ...

TonyACT likes this.
  24. George P

[​IMG]

Found a cheap used copy of this recently to replace my Originals remaster of the same material. As expected, the sound is better. Enjoying it now.

25. dale 88

Igor Markevitch
    Orchestre des Concerts Lamoureux
    Haydn: Symphony no. 103, Drum Roll
    Haydn: Symphony no. 104, London
    Weber: Preciosa-Overture/ Orquesta Sinfonica de la Radio Television Espanola
    Philips, 1960 (Haydn)
    from disc 1 of the Eloquence box of Markevitch on Philips.
    [​IMG]

Orpheus Chamber Orchestra
    Haydn: Symphony no. 22, The Philosopher
    Haydn: Symphony no. 63, La Roxelane
    Haydn: Symphony no. 80
    DG, 1989
    from the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra box
    [​IMG]
    I liked them both.

layman, Wes H, TonyACT and 3 others like this.