Strictly for fans of Audio Note UK (all things Audio Note UK)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Richard Austen, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

Put the laser pointer on the top of the speaker, centered so it's directly above the tweeter, and perpendicular to the front baffle.

2. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

That's what I did also, per your advice. It's the perfect way to measure height relative to the other speaker as well.

Don Parkhurst and Gjo like this.
  3. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Yes this! I discovered, due to a slight bulge that had developed in the pad under my rug ,one speaker was an inch higher than the other. Flattened that bump out did some repositioning, moved 6' apart and adjusted toe in, and obtained a denser center image and slightly richer sound.

Don Parkhurst, Lowrider75 and Gjo like this.
  4. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

Denser image. Richer sound. Yes! Also, in my room, more three-dimensionality.

Jon, have you experimented with crossing speaker axis about 1 meter in front of your listening position?

If not, it's worth a try. Before you start, though, put some blue tape on the floor to mark the starting positions.

Also, folks without corners can create pseudo-corners with free standing baffles perpendicular to the front wall. A hassle. I know. But, a possibility.

jonwoody likes this.
  5. jonwoody

Thanks Grant! And no I haven't experimented with crossing a meter in front that's an interesting idea maybe I will play around with that this weekend. No can do on a false corner though on the right is the bedroom door and the left my rack but it's ok I love the sound I'm getting now.

Lowrider75 and Footsurg like this.
  6. Chris.p.l

Chris.p.l Forum Resident

Hello,

I want to share an experience that I had by chance.
    For some time, it seemed to me that my AN-J had a somewhat boring restitution, very centered on the medium ...
    I tightened the three retaining screws and the tweeter came back to life !!
    What intensity in the restitution, the bass is firm as on a closed speaker, I had forgotten how much I love my AN-J :love:

jonwoody, Gjo and Footsurg like this.
  7. Footsurg

Footsurg Forum Resident

Peter Q once told me that best way to set up the E, if they are in corners, is to aim the drivers so they cross one meter in front of your head. Mine are corner placed. I have experimented with many different placement angles. I found out that best angle in my room is crossing about 1 meter in front of the listening position, just like Peter said. I am not sure if this holds true for the J or K.

DeeKay, Fred Hansen, jonwoody and 3 others like this.
  8. rufusblues

rufusblues Forum Resident

My AN/Js are in the corners of the front wall, and are aimed about a meter or so in front of the listening position; this worked best for me, after trying out a number of speaker positions. But every room is different, as are preferences. Bottom line of course is experiment and find what sounds best to ones' own ears.

Don Parkhurst, jonwoody and Gjo like this.
  9. Chris.p.l

Chris.p.l Forum Resident

For me, yes, on AN-E and AN-J toe-in 45°

Gjo likes this.
  10. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

The advantage of using a laser guide with a target is knowing exactly where the speaker axis intersect. It can also be done with a string, etc.

Otherwise, it's guesswork done by ear. Once I used a laser guide, the image locked in like never before.

Even if the axis don't intersect, a laser guide can be used to match toe-in angles by measuring the distance from where the laser hits the back wall to the side walls (or from a center point directly behind the listening position.).

NapaBob and jonwoody like this.
  11. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

I mentioned a few months ago that a fellow audiophile that I knew had a Tomei integrated amplifier and an S-8 SUT for sale. Those have now been sold.

This now leaves a CDT Five transport for sale as well as a DAC 4.1/X Signature for sale. Please DM me if interested and I will put you in touch with him.

Very rare to see a used CDT Five for sale. In fact this is the first that I have ever seen. I have been really happy with my CDT Three transport and have been told that it’s an impressive upgrade to the Four or Five (but expensive : )).

Fred Hansen likes this.
  12. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

If it is one of the older ones, it is indeed magic

13. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Is this an old model of the Audio Note AN-K LX? Because of the edges, it's slightly more BBC looking.

14. JeroenPaco

JeroenPaco Well-Known Member

Just sharing my system, mostly Audio Note. Behind the record is a 0.1 DAC and a Chinese Tube buffer recommended by my AN dealer. Signal is all AN wiring except the phono cable, saving for it;)

[​IMG]

The IQ3 is doing well on the SME 3009. In the future I might upgrade to the new upcoming Thorens arm or Sorane TA-1. Off course a AN arm would also be great, especially regarding the cable, but I like to have an arm that fits the TD124 aesthetically too;) Might be possible to get an AN cable for the Sorane.

[​IMG]

15. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Beautiful setup!

JeroenPaco likes this.
  16. finn

finn Forum Resident

Yes it is, somewhere earlier than 2010 most likely.

AC1 likes this.
  17. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

Thanks! I think it looks more beautiful than the newer ones, but I have no idea about the sound differences.

scobb likes this.
  18. jonwoody

Really lovely and the red plinth on the Thorens looks super cool.

JeroenPaco likes this.
  19. Acapella48

Acapella48 Forum Resident

Just a FYI regarding the word "restitution." Here in the the U.S., restitution is a legal remedy term having to do with the restoration (to compensate for damages) of something of value, lost or stolen e.g. victim of a crime.
    A court order of restitution holds offender partially or fully accountable for the financial losses suffered by the victims of their crimes. So, although the gist of what you were describing above got through, the term itself was not used in it's usual context.

klonk and jonwoody like this.
  20. ovs-audio

ovs-audio Active Member

These were my speakers, i sold them and kept the an-k d and ax2, they where both better

AC1 likes this.
  21. Chris.p.l

Chris.p.l Forum Resident

Hello,

In my main langage, we use sound reproduction to talk about listening rendering.
    I get help from Google translation for my interventions, thank you for correcting me when it does not seem understandable to you, it helps me :righton:

Acapella48, jonwoody and Gjo like this.
  22. Acapella48

Acapella48 Forum Resident

No worries. My response wasn't meant as a criticism either. Fully understand the problem of conveying ideas in a language not your own. I thought the use of "boring restitution" was an interesting twist. I took it to mean boring presentation.
    I suppose coming from the Swedish (tråkig återgivning) to English, boring rendition might also work -but it depends. Google translate sometimes gets it wrong.

jonwoody and Chris.p.l like this.
  23. NielsSS

NielsSS Forum Resident

Look a lot like my AN-j's from 2007.

24. ovs-audio

ovs-audio Active Member

First owner was raimund gassner, and its the an-k ;)

25. JeroenPaco

JeroenPaco Well-Known Member

Thank you, very happy with it. Still feels “down the rabbit hole”: you start somewhere and a lot of little tweaking, cables, money, trial & errors further….but enjoying all of it.

Thanks. The red is actually more of a “deep metallic bordeaux red”, not so good visible on the picture. The TD124 was restored and upgraded by Hanze Hifi in The Netherlands. Very cool to hear the difference in every part that was upgraded/changed

johnnypaddock, Salectric and jonwoody like this.