Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Just finished watching the plane ride from hell episode. Wasn't there even more shenanigans that happened on the flight? I mean they certainly went over some of the major controversial events (Ric Flair is looking pretty bad right now), they also failed to acknowledge that Vince was in on the craziness rather than being polite up front with Linda and telling JR to calm the boys down. I mean, isn't this the same flight where Vince was play fighting with Kurt Angle and Undertaker woke up thinking they were in a real brawl and started choking out Angle? This one could have been a two parter to be honest.

2. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I have known Rob Van Dam for 25 years. He was talking straight. Thats Rob.
    Sorry Dreamer that was a d**k thing to say. She was married with a new baby and you want her to go up against Vinnie Mac's legal assassins on her own? With no help from her employer who still made a bundle? She never signed up for this. She was a mark.

JCRW and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Oh yes, Ric had best be careful what he says. If he calls her a liar he could have to defend a defamation suit with witnesses and discovery.

4. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

In the current time we are living in I would say anything could happen to Ric with the allegations brought out from that episode. I guarantee you anything Jericho had a discussion with Tony Khan after production wrapped up on that episode to add an extra stipulation to the "No Hulk Hogan" clause by adding "No Ric Flair" into the mix. I'm honestly wondering if any repercussions will hit JR in AEW since he was supposed to be the law man on that flight.

*UPDATE* Just looks like Ric Flair lost his CarShield TV Commercial campaign. Tommy Dreamer has been suspended from IMPACT for his comments on the show. I foresee this hitting WWE Headquarters and becoming a festering pain for Vince as well.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  5. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Didn't Michael Hayes almost urinate on Linda McMahon on that flight?

Not quite sure why a drunk Dustin singing an old country song in bad voice was portrayed as some kind of salacious offense? Did I miss something? I mean hell, I'm guilty of that almost every weekend.

6. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

That's what I mean, a whole lot more went down on that flight and even though some of the stories that came out from Dark Side Of The Ring are cringeworthy there are plenty more to pile up. I still think they let WWE off easy on this episode, everyone on the plane was involved no matter what JR stated on the program. It's also another example of showing how politics work in the wrestling business behind the scenes. People who have major pull (Ric Flair) and/or family pedigree (Dustin Rhodes) get a pass or a slap on the wrist while others ended up getting fired (Kurt Hennig & Scott Hall). It's no wonder that no current WWE Roster went on this program to talk.

7. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

By most accounts Dustin singing is a horrific experience sober. The song is a classic covered by Coe.

Imagine a drunken Dustin doing that to his EX wife.

8. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I've never heard that Hayes story. I'd say if that happened he'd be fired and he still works there today. The Freebirds got fired from Crockett in 84 for urinating during David Crockett's bachelor party. They also got fired from the WWF in 84 for similar bad behavior. The only lasted a couple of weeks in both before heading back to split time in World Class and the AWA.

Yeah, that's strange that they framed the Dustin singing as equal to Flair's assault and Lesnar and Hennig almost destroying the emergency exit of the plane.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

They also said Dustin was out of it drunk singing to Terri yet at the same time sober enough to tell Ric to leave the stewardess alone.

It makes you question the validity of it all.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. WarEagleRK

Always question the validity of wrestlers telling stories. The majority of them have lied so much they can't remember how it really happened... then there is Hogan who is at a different level than the normal wrestler.

11. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

If AEW is going to adopt a "No Ric Flair" philosophy then how could you not have a "No JR" policy? What was good ole JR thinking when he participated in this? Was it taped back when he was unemployed? Why would he participate in this? Does he actually think it makes him look good?

Matthew Tate and JCRW like this.
  12. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Who knows what JR was thinking, my guess is he took the same approach that he did the last time he publicly discussed the Owen Hart tragedy. "I hate having to talk about this, but I'll discuss this one more time and end of story." He probably thought he was doing himself a favor by admitting that he did not do enough to control the situation and made himself the fall guy. Nice of him to do that, but the resulting stories and him taking ultimate responsibility of the roster open him up to some career damage. Amazing how he is still taking the fall for WWE when this really should be going directly up to Vince.

13. WarEagleRK

What did JR do to have a "no JR" policy? He took his orders from Vince. Vince told him who to hire and fire. JR couldn't fire Flair unless Vince told him to. On the documentary he didn't do a Tommy Dreamer and justify everything. I'm not a JR fan at all, but I don't see much in this where he did anything worthy of the backlash that Flair, Hall and Dreamer deserve.

It was recorded recently as JR was at his condo in Jacksonville.

I'd like to think nobody thought this would make them look good, however I'm guessing Mike Chioda thought it might since he was reveling in it.

14. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Can't say I am surprised about the Flair story. He has always struck me as a bit of a lowlife, and if it is true that he sexually assaulted a stewardess, I won't be the least bit surprised.

15. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I still like Curt Hennig, he only seemed to be guilty of ribbing the wrong wrestler at the worst possible time & place. Also good to see RVD again, haven't seen him in 15 years.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

They gave Mr. Perfect a minor push at the 2002 Royal Rumble but that was about it. They used this incident as an excuse to do something that they were probably going to do soon anyway.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. WarEagleRK

I wish Hennig wouldn't have wrecked his back because he was so great. I though the Mr. Perfect character was great, but they didn't push it as far as I think it could have gone. He should have been with Heenan from day one instead of on his own or with The Genius. They used him too much in the mid card when he was a main eventer in that character.

blutiga, 905 and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Was there a single match that destroyed Hennig's back or was it a Dynamite Kid scenario of cumulative wear and tear and not taking injury time to recoup? Agreed, he had such a great character and was one of the best technical wrestlers in the ring during his era.

blutiga and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

The damage was nothing that most workers didn't get over time. And they either work through it or take the hit and rehab for a few months. Curt was working Lloyds Of London who were stupid enough to actually give him a million dollar insurance policy based on damage to his body. When the doctors toted up the injuries Lloyds thought he would be a cripple. They paid. He made fools of them. They won't issue a policy of that sort anymore.

Matthew Tate, JCRW and MikeInFla like this.
  20. George Co-Stanza

Hennig had the unfortunate timing similar to DiBiase in that he was at his best as a heel during an era where Vince always had a face as champ. From January 1984 through November 1991, the only times a heel were champ were Andre for about one minute in 1988, Savage following the heel turn in February 1989 through when he lost the belt at the beginning of April 1989, and Sgt Slaughter for 2 months and change at the beginning of 1991. That was the era when the I-C title was kind of considered the top belt for the heel, and often times with the best or one of the best workers (Savage, Rude, Hennig). Perhaps he would have gotten a run a few years later around the time when Bret was the world champ had his back not given out, but again just bad timing for him. His retirement match as a face against Flair was great in early 1993, but he was 100 times better as a heel.

I have no doubt that one of the reasons Rick Rude bailed on the WWF in the fall of 1990 was he had maxed out what he could do there. He knew he'd never get a world title run or program again any time soon (he had just finished a program with the Warrior), and Hennig was now the main heel in the I-C title picture. And remember that earlier in the year Rude was in a throwaway match at Wrestlemania. He left at the right time.

blutiga, Matthew Tate and JCRW like this.
  21. WarEagleRK

No, he just was a crazy bumper. All of those wild twisting bumps he would take took their toll on him. Plus those super hard 80s/early 90s WWF rings didn't do him any favors.

22. WarEagleRK

Savage should have stayed champion until at least SummerSlam 1989. He was drawing big as a heel champion after the turn. They could have had him cheat to beat Hogan at Mania and have Hogan beat him in August.

I think Rude would have stayed in the WWF had they not screwed him over on his payments. He got hurt after SummerSlam in 1990 and was off the road, but they kept promoting him in main events vs the Warrior in all of the big cities then announcing at the show he wouldn't be there. He thought since he drew those crowds advertised as the main event he should get main event money while being out instead they paid him his down side due to his injury.

23. George Co-Stanza

I didn't know that about Rude, but that doesn't surprise me. Vince is not about to hand over any gate money he doesn't feel he needs to.

As for Savage, that would have been great, but I think the No Holds Barred film was done and the silly Zeus feud was already prepped, so it was full steam ahead for Hogan to win the belt and go that route.

What is shocking to me how is how not great Savage was made to look for most of his reign as champ. Yeah, he had the belt for a year, but his only two title defenses on TV were against One Man Gang (a match where Savage was largely dominated, but pulled out the win when Slick hit Gang by mistake with his cane enabling Savage to give him the elbow for the win) and Andre the Giant (where Savage was dominated from pretty much start to finish before the match ended in some bizarre double DQ). And it was not like Gang and Andre were up and comers who needed the rub of dominating the champ before losing/not winning.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. WarEagleRK

WWF rarely had world title matches on TV. Other than Saturday Nights Main Event Hogan had very few on TV as well. I remember one against Orton in 87 on Superstars.

Savage had some great defenses against DiBiase on MSG TV.

25. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident