KAB Ortofon Concorde back in stock (Reloop branding)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by snorker, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Yeah even with an Ortofon S-120, which is 10mV (!), it works just fine on all gain settings.

2. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Ive got the Kab Anniversary Concorde/sty40 combo. Just curious how many hours one should get out of the 40 stylus

3. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Since it is a Fritz Gyger II/FG70 (and resembles the shape of vdH cut) it should be between Shibata and MicroLine/MicroRidge in terms of longevity in my opinion. Now the real hours are dependent on your Stylus 40, records state and hours of play. Ortofon usually mention 1000 hours for any of their stylus, but in reality you already have to check your stylus (or send it to a retipper for a check-up) after 500 hours I think.
    Jico has the following hours specified:
    Based on some reports, microphotos and different experience of users with advanced styli that I read (specifically on Vinyl Engine forums), I'd say Shibata can provide 500 hours and FG should be somewhere between 550-600, while ML/MR/SAS can reach up to 700 or (in some cases) 800 hours of general play and clean records after which the stylus should be checked.

ultron9 likes this.
  4. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

Selling my Reloop Concorde Black, I was using it with a Stylus 20 but found the results to be rather underwhelming, the same stylus on the Super OM body sounds better in every way, particularly in the treble, brighter but not harsh, the Concorde just sounded dull in comparison.

Soundslave and luckybaer like this.
  5. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I am taking delivery of a new Technics SL1210GR next week and I have my eye on the Kab Anniversary Concorde/sty40 combo. Potentially dumb question, but the only "setup" required is to screw the cartridge in, balance the arm and set tracking force?

ultron9 likes this.
  6. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Yup.

johnny q likes this.
  7. ultron9

ultron9 The quest for perspicuity and grace continues...

I'm definitely envious, looking forward to your thoughts on the new kit when you have it set up. I'm using Ortofon Reeloop/OM20 on my MK2.

johnny q likes this.
  8. Oelewapper

Don't forget VTA and AS.

McLover and ultron9 like this.
  9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Try 2 grams for the ProS/Reloop Black in reality. The OM HiFi styli track the same force on the Concorde ProS/Reloop/Ortofon Concorde Black as they do on OM applications. The Reloop/Ortofon Concorde Black is my new daily standard cartridge on my Technics SL-1200 Mk II. I also have an Omega in an Audio-Technica magnesium 12 g head shell on my Technics SL-1300 automatic. I have a small selection of OM styli from DJ and HiFi applications!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2023
  10. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Thank you Sir:righton:

Oelewapper likes this.
  11. Mugrug12

What’s AS?

12. inzite

inzite Forum Resident

antiskate?

Oelewapper and johnny q like this.
  13. Mugrug12

Oh duh, my bad! Thanks haha.

On a related note- So is the concord not designed to be at optimal vta with the factory setting arm height?

14. Oelewapper

I don’t think there’s a factory default.
    The scale runs from 0 to 6.
    With the stock rubber mat installed, you’ll likely need to set it at 0 or 1.

Mugrug12 likes this.
  15. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Take care of this setup, very important.
    TF as maker recommend, use a digital weight only.
    Set AS lower than TF, maybe 2/3 or less.
    Level deck 100%

johnny q likes this.
  16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I run my Reloop/Ortofon Concorde Black at nearly 2 on my late model SL-1200 Mk II. But it has thicker interconnects than original installed when previous owner upgraded it. (late model which had the high capacitance interconnects from factory suspected as the reason why done).

ultron9 likes this.
  17. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Hi everyone - can anyone who owns the KAB Concorde Reloop + Stylus 40 chime in regarding what capacitance loading you settled on? If my calculations are correct, I think mine at roughly 151Pf is too low, when the specs on the KAB page show a range of 200-500PF. Should I intentionally install a higher capacitance cable between my TT and Phono Stage to get capacitance over 200PF?

See this post over at the all purpose SL-1200 GAE/G/GR thread for my rationale. Would greatly appreciate some advice :)

The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread