The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

The light trigger is a no brainer, but quite clever. The actual moving part that does the trick seems like the hard part to set up.

2. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Servo with PWM input to determine the amount of travel makes things like this easy.
    Something like an Arduino Micro has a dedicated PWM output pin to drive them.
    Slap a PWM library into your DIY software and off you go.
    It’s just the little details to make it work flawlessly and fail proof that can cost hours and hours of work.

3. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I understood DIY...

Big Blue likes this.
  4. Oelewapper

What do you mean?
    I'm having a language barrier I suppose (non-native English speaker)...

ubiknik likes this.
  5. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I just don't know what PWM, or any of the other stuff you mentioned is -your english is fine.
    All I know is that it looks like a light trigger set up at the arm sends a signal to the (servo?) device that rotates the arm up to move the lift lever up.

Oelewapper likes this.
  6. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Position control would be ideal for this application, but PWM is for speed control, not for position. Stepper motor would work, but I am not aware of such tiny stepper or servo motors that would fit here. Just a geared DC motor here. All hardware, no software.
    It goes up by precise digital timer. Stops on the way back by the tiny proximity sensor.

Oelewapper likes this.
  7. Oelewapper

Well, the servo (that little motor) needs to 'know' how far it needs to rotate in order to push the cue lever up, without pushing too far.
    The width of a PWM (pulse width modulation) signal determines how much the servo rotates, depending on the type of servo.
    For example, 50% of the full width of a PWM signal could mean that it rotates half a circle.
    Alternatively a switch can be used that's pressed by the servo itself when the servo has rotated far enough.
    Once pressed, the switch stops the rotation of the servo.

The failproof part is for example that the light sensor is ignored when it's triggered twice or more in a row before the servo is back to its original position.
    Some light sensors can be triggered by ambient light like direct sunlight or lamps, so those external influences should be ruled out as well.

8. Oelewapper

I meant something like this:
    Servo control - Wikipedia
    You know, those little servos used in RC cars and airplanes.
    Cost next to nothing these days.

9. JP

JP Forum Resident

Tons of small servo motors available that’d easily integrate. Think RC hobbies.

Ingenieur likes this.
  10. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

That's a good one. But how about a different, simpler route? If the idea is to save the needle from wearing during a sleeping period, using a simple off-timer that cuts out power will do the trick. How harmful is to leave the needle on the record for some 8 hours tops, without rotation? Will it affect the suspension, so it's a no-no?

Sterling1 and Oelewapper like this.
  11. Oelewapper

Should work fine, as long as your vibration isolation is good, so there’s no chance of bumping the stylus or starting a rumble feedback loop by kids/pets/whatever when left on its own.

12. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

13. Oelewapper

He compares apples to oranges.
    Ortofon 2M Black vs Pro-Ject Pick-it Pro

Not a proper turntable comparison if you’d ask me.

snorker likes this.
  14. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

Well maybe, but I thought it was interesting that he prefered the one that cost half the price and with a considerably cheaper cartridge.

15. popol_vuh

popol_vuh Guest

Hahaha, of course - it's the cartridge now. Even though the cart on the Pro-ject is much cheaper. Oh yeah, don't forget - Frank Shroder set up the Pro-ject so that's why Pro-ject sounded better as well. :laugh:

16. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

He can certainly prefer the Project, though I’m not sure why he wouldn't put the same cartridge on both turntables for his comparison. He may just prefer the cartridge sound.

Ingenieur and 5-String like this.
  17. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I'm not certain he preferred the Pro-Ject...just some of the aspects of the design

18. popol_vuh

popol_vuh Guest

Please watch the video again. You must have fallen asleep. He said the quantity of how much better the aspects where it was better wasn't big, but there was quite a number of aspects he liked better in Pro-ject's sound.

19. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Or robotics

20. Ingenieur

Preferred, his taste, not 'better'

he liked the feet
    He liked the cuing
    He likes the switch
    wth? Lol

it had more 'bounce', 'excitement' ???
    He tries to come across as thoughtful and insightful but really comes across as a shill.

what a bunch of gobblty gook, reviewer speak.
    Absurd

bottom line: which one did he plop his cash down for?

I have a Project TT

That sounded like marketing, he touched on all sales points. And the cartridge is an Ortofon
    Debut PRO – Pro-Ject Audio Systems

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    Mo-Tech likes this.
  21. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

Who cares. It's one guy comparing with different cartridges. My 2M Black was crap too, I hated it. Horrible tracker with tons of surface noise. Tell him to repeat with Concorde/STY40 on the Technics.

snorker and recstar24 like this.
  22. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I have compared the 2m Black and my KAB Sty40 and they pretty much sound the same to my ears. I'd be curious comparing the STY30 (or even the Concorde Century) and 2m Bronze

23. Ingenieur

A few things he did not mention.
    The 'bounce' he heard may have been the speed increasing/slowing. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    Big Blue, wgb113 and snorker like this.
  24. haz2000

haz2000 Forum Resident

He talks too much about the toggle switch that goes from 33 to 45. That's so bizarre. Another thing - he calls the Technics feet cheap for being plastic. They might be plastic, but they don't feel cheap at all. The only thing that feels a bit cheap on the GR is the arm lift mechanism and even that is debatable. The build quality of the two is not comparable at all. The ProJect is a frisbee in comparison to the GR. It weighs 13 pounds. And the cartridges are completely different. He's entitled to like what he likes but this is such a random video. He might as well be explaining why he likes red more than green on a car vs a motorcycle in winter rather than summer.

25. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

I don't remember saying that the Pro-ject was better or that he thought it was better, just that he preferred it given the price disparity between the two. FWIW I'm a Japanese DD turntable fan so I'd prefer the 1200GR over the Debut Pro albeit I'd opt for something other than a 2M Black.