Darko has become my favorite audio review site

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DaleClark, Jun 15, 2019.

1. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

He really needs to cut it out with some of his vague video titles and borderline-clickbait thumbnails.

Shiver likes this.
  2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

could easily be an imposter, even dark o himself? was it really a video?

3. Xarkkon

Xarkkon Would you like a Custom Title?

same thought did come to my mind, but darko did mention in the thread that insults were being thrown by MF on the facebook page as well, a little harder to pull that off there.

4. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

So childish

Xarkkon likes this.
  5. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident Thread Starter

Darko, in my opinion, has the best video site out there. I wish the Stereophile writers would up their game a little as far as video quality is concerned.

6. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

This is a good point. I think Stereophile seems a bit dated these days, not by their content but by their platform. They really should consider embracing video review and content in order to play in the 21st century. They need a refresh and I don't think it would take much effort. Their P&L will thank them ;)

timind likes this.
  7. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

He quotes Euros as well as dollars quite often.

8. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

I think he tends to use them almost interchangeably. Lots of non-Americans on YouTube quote prices in USD because they probably feel that Americans are likely to be a big percentage of their audience (assuming the content is English-language) and that Americans are less likely to understand the price of something if given in anything other than USD.

9. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I am a fan of his podcast. My favorite episodes are when he has Michael Lavorgna on. The two of them just talking is entertaining and relaxing even if you don't agree with everything they discuss. Darko also seems to be humble in regards claiming to be an expert. If he doesn't know he seems to state his opinion and not BS. I wish we had more podcasts. I wish Fremer had a podcast where he played and discussed about pressing and the recordings of songs every week for 90 minutes. His collection is impressive. He has done a few of these in the past I believe at a local NPR station.
    I would love Darko to share his collection on CD/Vinyl.

saturdayboy and gabbleratchet7 like this.
  10. Clonesteak

Quality is there. I really do like Steve Guttenburg occasionally when he reviews certain products.

Sterling1 and Musicphil like this.
  11. Musicphil

Musicphil Forum Resident

It's about opinions, nothing more.
    If someone recommends a product, have a listen for yourself.
    The only real measurement is your ears!

Steve356, Tone? and Clonesteak like this.
  12. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

I once had dinner with Steve Guttenburg and some other hifi press after the T.H.E Show in NYC when I worked for a company that I am not legally allowed to mention ....... super nice guy

13. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Meh Darko kinda bugs me.
    I’m sure he’s a nice guy up close, but sometimes his reviews bug me.
    And the fact that he keeps turning on and off his comment section.
    Like dude, I want to read the exchange of opinions from people who have the same product.

but it’s all good. It’s like picking our friends. Some will jive better with our personalities as well.

I much prefer a British audiophiles personality or Thomas and stereo. And they both almost always respond to a comment/question you will have.

14. timind

timind phorum rezident

Agree with this. For the record, I might have watched 3 Youtube reviews all the way through. Never made it through a Darko video as far as I recall. When someone posts one on this forum I'll click on it and if it's more than 5 minutes long, I know I won't make it. Not sure why, but I have little interest in these folks opinions. In the video era though, I guess it's the best way to reach people. Just not me.

15. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

I'm the same way. I can scan a print review in less than 5 mins, maybe even a couple of minutes, skipping all the manufacturer-provided fluff about the unit's revolutionary technology. But spend half an hour hearing some bloke's opinion? Not likely!

I'm showing my age, but I just don't get the appeal of video reviews.

aroney, keiron99 and timind like this.
  16. timind

timind phorum rezident

Exactly, especially your last sentence. If I want information, I want information, not fluffy BS. If I want entertainment, I'm looking somewhere besides a Youtube audio review.

aroney and Mike-48 like this.
  17. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

As far as reviewers go I don’t trust any of them. Even myself.

Mike-48, Sterling1 and Clonesteak like this.
  18. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

I like Darko very much, but shoot, his electronica techno music list, I don't dig it. Maybe he could give one must audition album to get on board with that.

timind likes this.
  19. Clonesteak

I can’t get into electronica techno music. I don’t get into it. I just find it redundant.

vconsumer and timind like this.
  20. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Strange. That’s what most people call me.

Mike-48 likes this.
  21. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Early on I watched him (Darko) but got tired of him like every other reviewer on YT. Now, I just watch puppy vids...

22. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident Thread Starter

I prefer Darko over Andrew Robinson.

Double E, Clonesteak and rischa like this.
  23. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Darko; no good.

nosliw, Sterling1 and csgreene like this.
  24. all24bits

all24bits Mature Adult

Well, he does have a Spotify playlist he shares for all the videos.

25. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Darko? The guy's got a Technics Turntable which he confesses he is not capable of mounting an Ortofon 2m Series Cartridge to, that made me wonder HUH. He said he needed his dealer to install it. It appears the dealer also replaced the stock headshell with a Zupreme adding needless mass to the tonearm and making me wonder not only about Darko's credentials but those of his dealer too.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    nosliw, keiron99 and csgreene like this.