Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Good point. I have a beautiful sounding vinyl MFSL copy already, no idea why I pre-ordered the One Step but I’m excited to hear it none the less.

2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I think MFSL would take one album if they could get it. Not certain all albums are part of the deal or they will all be One Steps. I would hope remaining titles get spread out over a couple of years. They have plenty other One Steps in their schedule and appear to only be able to produce 4 or 5 titles per year.

Geoffsterpiano likes this.
  3. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

Of course they do. Mofi has been doing this for 50 years. They're only going to license them to a label that's proven it can sell 10,000 + one steps.

4. Im not sure what you’re saying. Do what?

MoFi has struggled massively to license worthy titles, as evidenced by their continual mediocre selection.

Suggesting they would turn down Eagles or Desperado if Hotel California wasn’t part of the deal seems highly, highly unlikely. MoFi would still jump at the opportunity to reissue those two albums, regardless if they got to do other Eagles albums or not

5. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Anyone know why these first two Eagles One Steps were rushed to the front of the line? what happened to all the other previously mentioned One Steps next in line for release? :crazy:

6. Dougthesnail

They have leverage. You don't license the Eagles to any label. It has to be a label with global distribution and a track record, like Mofi.

7. So, to be clear, you’re suggesting MoFi would have refused to reissue the self titled album if there wasn’t also an agreement to reissue Hotel California?

I fully disagree.

Guildx500 and Dmann201 like this.
  8. teag

teag Forum Resident

And neither of you have any factual knowledge either way.

Its interesting that Acoustic Sounds has not listed the 2 Eagles one steps for preorder. Looks like they may both sell out just from MoFi direct and Music Direct sales.

9. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

Is this the first time that MFSL ship a One Step title before Music Direct?
    It seem to me that for the previous titles the shipment was at the same time.

10. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked Thread Starter

Warner Brothers’ original press release on these albums stated the all six seventies albums would be UD1S reissues, so that would kill the “test” theory.

There are really 4 options as I see it with any of these projects:

1. Do it completely in house (subcontracting the pressing to an unnamed pressing plant)
    2 do the release in house under your own label, but use QRP for the pressing and mention on the sticker.
    3. License to Analogue Productions as an AP /QRP reissue
    4. License to Mobile Fidelity

These days with vinyl as hot as it is, I’m sure they are looking at everything, including pressing schedules and the ability to get things out quickly. It may just be an outsiders perception, but it seems like QRP is drowning in projects and slower to be able to respond to new projects. (And KoB had many issues, leading one to wonder if rushing things isn’t affecting quality.). Mobile Fidelity /RTI seems to be able to stop and start on a dime when needed, and given the volume of their output, their quality level has been very good. It doesn’t hurt that their label is the oldest audiophile label in existence.

11. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Might be that the Eagles wanted a percentage of the shipping charges too.

12. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

With the current major-label attitude toward licensing and preference for streaming profits, NO independent reissue label has ANY "leverage." Thinking otherwise is naive.

While Eagles management has to give the OK, isn't Warner Music still the actual rights holder here?

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  13. Rhinojack

Rhinojack Forum Resident

...and I wonder if the MOFI customers get all the low numbers (not that it really matters) first and the Music Direct customer get the rest at the end of the month when they finally start shipping. The frustrating part is that the two companies are essentially one and the same.

14. kiwi_pressing

kiwi_pressing Well-Known Member

How much did HMV charge you for shipping once they completed your order? I ordered 2 LPs in August as part of that sale. The initial shipping charge was 2,300 Yen, which is in line with the reference information on their website, but I've just been charged 6,000 Yen for shipping. Even though they state on their website EMS charges have increased and your order will be updated with the correct shipping charge once fulfilled, I was quite shocked by the difference.

15. Yeah I wasn’t suggesting it was a test, just think the idea that MoFi would turn down the self titled album and give an ultimatum that Hotel California must be included is asinine. It’s evident that it is getting harder and harder for audiophile labels to license good records. Eagles is a great record and an audiophile darling - any boutique label would be thrilled to secure that album.

16. Dougthesnail

Wasn't suggesting that, but saving their most deluxe treatment for probably the least popular Eagles album would be a waste imo.

You at least float the idea of doing them all in that format before agreeing on S/T.

17. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Well, got both my Eagles sets. I have Good news and Bad news.

Good news is that the mastering sounds fantastic on Eagles and Desperado on initial listen. I have not done comparisons yet.
    Bad news is the pressing quality. I have a pressing defect on Eagles side 1, and both Desperado are dish warped. Going to reach out to Mofi as this is not acceptable at this price point. Hope everyone else has better luck.

18. JimmyS

JimmyS Forum Resident

Let me know if you have luck contacting them, I've gotten no response from them and it’s been a week. I had the same issue with warping on Desperado.

Nephrodoc likes this.
  19. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I would suggest giving them a call, they pick up right away.

20. JimmyS

JimmyS Forum Resident

Thanks John, I will do that.

John D. likes this.
  21. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

It would seem to me that the most likely series of events was this: MFSL approached Warner/Eagles about licensing all six albums. (They have established a history of licensing catalogs, including that of Eagles friend Ronstadt). W/E quoted a high price that would make a standard issue unprofitable, or at least minimally profitable, and/or set strict limits on number of copies. MFSL offered to do them all as One-Steps and got a deal done. The deal probably dictates the timing of the releases to some degree.

22. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Do you have a number for Mofi? I only have the email.

AnalogJ likes this.
  23. John D.

John D. Senior Member

That's weird, they don't list a phone number like Music Direct does, email only, that's not good. :thumbsdow

AnalogJ likes this.
  24. Dougthesnail

Alan Parsons Eye In The Sky has a November 28 release date on Amazon.ca Probably a placeholder but might see it before years end.

AFA, bajaed and MWebb like this.
  25. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Eagles have Irving Azoff.
    He always gets what he wants

Irving wants money, and more money

John D. likes this.