How much musical merit in hair metal?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mtvgeneration, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

An explosive all out power knock down slug fest of an album.

Queezma likes this.
  2. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

There are few, if any, low points on any of the first 5 RATT albums (and the ep too).
    I still maintain (as I mentioned a while ago in another thread) that album for album and song for song the RATT catalogue , in my opinion, has aged better and is more consistent than Motley’s (as much as I still LOVE the first 5 Crue albums)

3. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

THANK YOU!

This is just a fact. (Of course this is also a KISS discussion, so I'm ready to be eviscerated.)

If you listen to KISS's classic output......I'm sorry.....but that's Chuck Berry, That's Slade, That's The Rolling Stones, That's Sweet.....then later that was Blondie and The Cars.

I mean.....they are literally playing songs Chuck Berry could have appropriated for himself.

OPEN YOUR EARS!.......THAT AIN'T METAL! I know Gene's make-up made MILLIONS of people wish KISS were a different band than they actually were....but it's a fallacy. They simply were NOT Black Sabbath. (And people STILL won't give up the dream.....sorry, KISS was what they were....and they were not the "heavy" band you were hoping for....sorry, but some of us actually liked them the way they were!)

Now that doesn't mean I don't like some of the stuff on "Creatures".....hey, I actually DEFENDED "Burn Bitch Burn" on this very thread.....and at the time....that WAS Metal...

....but that is NOT KISS dancing with who brought them....that is KISS with no Sean Delaney to tell them: "What in the actual f%$k do you guys think you are doing!?!?!?!"

carlwm and Queezma like this.
  4. Psychedelic Good Trip

Agreed whole heartedly on Ratt. I'll tell you no hair metal band did it better than Crue with their first two albums Too Fast & Devil. I listened to Devil yesterday and was just floored at how that album sounds the way it does. Wow!! No words to describe Crue in the studio 1981-1983.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  5. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

Man.....I don't know......I guess I just never really "Got" RATT

I Love that "She wants money" song........but........"Round and Round"........Ugh.......not feeling it.

But that's cool, not everybody has to like what I like.

6. R79

R79 Forum Resident

There were a lot of bands near the end who were trying different things with pop-metal. Of course, there's Saigon Kick, but there were also acts like Adam Bomb (who added dance pop elements, at least on the song "Pure S.E.X.), Nitro (who added speed metal elements), and T-Ride, who, well, just listen to their single:

carlwm, spacedyed and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Psychedelic Good Trip

steveharris, carlwm and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i mentioned them. its if janes addiction mixed with prince and queen

9. CantonJester

CantonJester Lost faces say we adore you…

I will go to the grave arguing Tesla is better than any hair band.

You know I'm on a slick trip, I'm always ready to kick...ass. :wave:

10. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

This is true.

Classic 70s KISS were more hard rock than what we now understand as heavy metal. Sure, they were near the border on a handful of 70s tracks, but they were a rock’n’roll act. Only by 82, and Vinnie Vincent’s initial influence, had they fully pivoted to heavy metal (and then, by 84 towards the glammed version of metal now known as hair).

However, my understanding is that the in the 70s, the ‘heavy metal’ monicker was a much more loosely defined, randomly used and evolving term, and that KISS were - even back then - included in that emerging genre by some critics / fans.

Moreover, they’re amongst a host of bands who are on that genre border in 70s and early 80s, but who have squarely become part of the wider heavy metal culture (e.g. I’d group classic KISS with acts like AC/DC and Thin Lizzy - hard rock acts heavy enough to be metal - certainly enough metal kids in the 80s had all three acts’ patches on their denim!)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    CoachD, rebetis, Pouchkine and 3 others like this.
  11. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

Sadly, I’ve never personally managed much love for RATT … I should like it, given how often they’re grouped with Motley’s early stuff, which I love - but it just seems more average and generic to my ears (which is a shame, shame, shame* given how highly they’re regarded by fans of that era).

* just about got into their Desmond Child reboot for a few weeks when it was released, but find Detonater near unlistenable now.

Boswell likes this.
  12. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

You can only fit so much on one CD!

13. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Same can be said of Black Sabbath...so they aren't metal either.
    And Judas Priest? Whoa...I mean, those early blues riffs and then you get to Turbo Lover? No way they are a metal band!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

But if you meant clubs in Europe.....then yes, I don't have any idea what's been played by D.J's over there......other than EDM.

Correct me if I'm wrong......but "Hair Metal" was never that big a deal over there, correct?

Of course, why would it? You guys had The Jesus and Marychain, Transvision Vamp....Hell...."Crazy Crazy Nights" was a top 5 hit.....You guys seemed to still know your Rock n' Roll.

15. Psychedelic Good Trip

16. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

GREAT song......in my opinion there isn't a bad song on this record.

carlwm and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  17. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

By the way......for production nerds......

......this is some VERY effective use of reversed reverb, set to come BEFORE the actual program material it's echoing....

......Ya.....I'm fun at parties.

carlwm likes this.
  18. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

Mainly dance music. In fact as much as I love hard rock, it ain’t always the best soundtrack to a nightclub!

Hard rock / glam metal was not really big in the U.K. or Europe in the 80s. Certainly nothing like the US. Sure, Bon Jovi and Def Leppard would cut through, and maybe the occasional fluke like Whitesnake’s Here I Go Again or Crazy Crazy Nights, but the rest was either new wave, synth pop, RnB and the occasional indie jangle.

deeluxdx7 and carlwm like this.
  19. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

The bold phrase above is doing a lot of work in that sentence … :)

20. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

But nothing tops this...

That last lyric: "Don't need tom get wasted, it only holds me down."
    "I just need a win of my own, and the balls to stand alone."

That's KISS at their best.

carlwm and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  21. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

What else do I have to offer?

I can only say how I perceive something, I can't tell you or anyone else how you feel about something.

22. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

I jest - hence the smiley - it’s all opinions here, including mine.

carlwm and deeluxdx7 like this.
  23. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

Right,

I recall a REAL R n' B meets synth-pop type sound coming out of England especially in the late 80's.

I was NOT a fan.......and I LOVE my synth-pop....but, I call it the great schism of 85'.......You went from Human League to Rick Astley REALLY quickly after 85'...

....and no, I',m not crapping on Rick Astley. He obviously had some quality hits.....but......those who followed him?.......I did NOT enjoy.

carlwm and Pouchkine like this.
  24. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

All good! :)

carlwm likes this.
  25. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

No objections if anyone wants to cr@p on Rick Astley or the Human League! Not my cup of tea.

Still not my cup of tea, but acts like the Eurythmics did it better.