Wey Wey Hep a Hole Ding Dong: Robyn Hitchcock the song by song, album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, May 15, 2020.

1. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

The Abyss

Some amazing singing here! When he goes for that high note, wow! He nails it. And then the verses are more hushed. Fabulous.

The cello adds just the right amount of understated drama.

The only thing I’m not sure about is the harmonica - I’m not sure if it fits.

But overall, this is a great track.

4.5/5

2. pocketcalculator

pocketcalculator Forum Resident

"The Abyss" - the music and vocal make it sound like the Abyss is quite a pleasing place; maybe that's what sucks you into it. I love all the space in the arrangement, and the use of unobtrusive accents by the drummer. I agree that the harmonica pulls you out of the pleasing mood; but that may have been deliberate. Or it may have been just a Dylanism leftover from Robyn playing the song with just his acoustic guitar. 4/5.

3. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

Abyss -- 4/5. Another really good song.

brownie61 likes this.
  4. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

I like the harmonica. 4.3/5

brownie61 likes this.
  5. MattR

MattR Forum Resident

Bit of a tangent, but I've just got back from Martin Newell's Golden Afternoon gig at Colchester Arts Centre, and who should be the special guest but Kimberley Rew! With Lee Cave-Berry, he played a stonking version of Queen of Eyes dedicated to Matthew Seligman. A nice surprise, and the whole show was terrific. Martin is a real unsung national treasure - his solo/Cleaners From Venus stuff is definitely worth a listen for Hitchcock fans if you haven't heard it.

6. Melele

Melele Groover

Dipping back into the thread after a long absence to say that Tromso Kaptein was a very pleasant surprise, especially given at that time I had to special order the LP from Norway and, like someone mentioned, assumed it was a tossed off odds ‘n sods collection for fans only (why else would one release a record only in Norway?!). I love the mood that holds the whole thing together. As a fan since Fegmania!, this is the first record in a long time where I felt in sync with Robyn in terms of life perspective (I was going to say “maturity” but that sounds too….. mature?) and musical arrangement choices. The album reignited my fandom that had waned since around the Spooked timeframe. Like the Planet England tracks (jumping the gun), these are not as memorable as the early years but they resonate more with the current me, if that makes sense.

7. pocketcalculator

I love so many of Martin's songs, but he really seems pretty indifferent to how his recordings sound (mostly, not good). The few records that were recorded by people other than Martin (The Greatest Living Englishman, The Off-White Album) sound so much better. I wish he would let someone else produce them, but I don't think he can be bothered.

MattR likes this.
  8. Lance LaSalle

Our votes for "The Abyss"

1-0
    2-0
    3-0
    4-4
    5-5
    Average: 4.4111

bzfgt likes this.
  9. Lance LaSalle

Today's song is "Godnatt Oslo", written by Robyn HIthcock and produced by Paul Noble. Recorded by Marc Waterman.

Robyn Hitchcock: vocals, guitar, harmonica
    Paul Noble: bass, guitar, vocals
    Jenny Adejayan: cello
    Stephen Irvine: drums
    Jennifer Macro and Lucy Parnell: vocals

This song is a re-recording of "Goodnight NOrway" -- in Norwegian. The original English song was discussed here. Wey Wey Hep a Hole Ding Dong: Robyn Hitchcock the song by song, album by album thread

10. pocketcalculator

Here is a link to the album version on Tromso, Kaptein:

11. pocketcalculator

"Godnatt Oslo" - I haven't listened to the original again, but this version seems slower, more deliberate, and a little more urgent in the vocal. In whatever language, the sense of dread and foreboding, the ship pushing forward through the fog to an unknown shore, remains. 4.5/5.

Ok, I just listened to the English version, which is more claustrophobic, and maybe more full of dread for that, and the ending is a little better finessed. It has a bigger sound, for sure. I like it more, but the Norwegian version is still excellent, too.

Does anyone know the story behind this album? Did Robyn just decide to record an album solely for release in Norway, and so decided to redo this song in the language for the locals? Did the label owner say, "Hey, I really like "Raining Twilight Coast", can you do a new version of that?"

12. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

Did Kimberley do his hairdo long? I have seen Martin Newell at a minor poetry festival in a Wiltshire pub... funny guy.

I like this version of G O probably as much as the English version in a different way. The atmosphere very much reminds me of the novel Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow (which is Danish/Greenlandish but has the same chilly sense of dread)....

4/5

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    MattR, brownie61 and Lance LaSalle like this.
  13. Great Face For Radio

Great Face For Radio Sing Hosanna, the jazz snobs are all going home.

Obviously this is a great song, one of his best ever and the stand out performance from last week's St Albans gig. I prefer the more urgent and jangly English language version and, obviously, being able to understand the words makes a big difference. But it would still be a brilliant track in Cantonese, Serbo-Croat, or Urdu.

Godnatt Oslo 4.5/5.

zobalob, MattR, chrism1971 and 2 others like this.
  14. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Godnatt Oslo

I gave this song 4/5 when we discussed it previously, and said the lyrics were the weak link for me. Singing in Norwegian makes the link even weaker for me. I don’t see the point.

3.5/5

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  15. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

گڈ نائٹ اوسلو

zobalob, MattR and Lance LaSalle like this.
  16. Great Face For Radio

Great Face For Radio Sing Hosanna, the jazz snobs are all going home.

:laughup:

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  17. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

I've been checking out this thread from time to time. (I just don't have the endurance to dedicate myself regularly to Hitchcock's extensive and complicated discography) Hitchcock is an odd artist for me. I generally prefer his more recent work to his prime stuff. The Hitchcock I listen to most is "Goodnight Oslo", "Propeller Time" and the most recent self titled. "Perspex Island" is probably next in line.

Anyway, I noticed some pretty solid scores coming in for "Tromso, Kaptein" here. I had not heard this one before so I decided to check it out. Very glad I did! It seems, on first listen, to be roughly on par with my other favorite Hitchcock albums. Very solid from start to finish. I appreciate the "heads up" on this one!

chrism1971, zobalob, bzfgt and 6 others like this.
  18. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

"Godnatt Oslo" 4/5...not quite the original, but its a great song no matter what language its in.

19. MattR

MattR Forum Resident

It's a fair point, some of the early Cleaners stuff is very gnarly! I do love his DIY spirit though so it doesn'tbother me too much, and with the advances in home recoridng equipment, his newer stuff really isn't that lo-fi. I really like Golden Lion of The Sun and Broken Dreams for Boys off his newest. Agree that you can't beat The Greatest Living Englishman though!

Anyway, back to that other quintessentially English songwriter that I'm supposed to be discussing round here... :)

20. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Goodnight Oslo is a 5/5, I'm not sure how to rate the foreign lyrics version...if I was a Norwegian speaker maybe I'd like this better? I always skip this, though, since I know if I want to hear it I would listen to the other one...I'm going to abstain

21. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Like some others here, this is an album that passed me by...until now. Didn't even know of its existence, my bad because I have just about everything else. Anyway, bought the mp3 download having listened to the tracks on YouTube, as linked to in this thread. It's right up there with his best work IMO, thanks Lance :>)

22. Lance LaSalle

23. Lance LaSalle

Our votes for "Godnatt Oslo"

1-0
    2-0
    3-0
    4-4
    5-2
    Average: 4

24. Lance LaSalle

Today, Tromso, Kaptein.

25. Lance LaSalle

Tomorrow, on the 22nd of January, September, I'll begin holding up songs from the album Love From London.

brownie61 likes this.