Free YouTube Movies Worth Watching

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by NickySee, Jul 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

Allegro Non Troppo the 1976 animated film by Bruno Bozzetto. It's similar in concept to Fantasia.

Morpheus and NickySee like this.
  2. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident Thread Starter

As soon as you do something it's old. One never knows what will strike you as new - and if you've never seen a film it's new to you. :shrug:The way I see it - creativity has almost nothing to do with time.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  3. NickySee

[​IMG]
    Autumn Sonata (1978, Ingmar Bergman)
    One of my favorites from Bergman. Mother/daughter reunion after years of estrangement. Swedish w/Eng subs.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  4. NickySee

Several intriguing picks! Thanks. :)

barryalan likes this.
  5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

My only point here is, the things we have been offered to see for decades since the point at which we were first offered, are to me, things that we have been passing on for years. What I find online from creators who are making these things currently, in the space of recent benefit to the creator as well, are worth investigating moreso than just things that have been sitting around. Allegro non Tropo, for instance, is one of my wife's favorite animation discoveries, from the days since we'd started dating. It's old news to us, we have a VHS copy we haven't bothered to get out since it went on our shelf in the 1990's, and just knowing it's there is no compelling reason for us to pass on seeing a film at the arts cinema in our town this very week.

I just discovered a film by Sarah Polley, a Canadien filmmaker we enjoy, and we just screened it over the weekend like a fresh discovery, although it's from 2012. But most of my discoveries come from discovering what's "discoverable", as opposed to what's "resurrectable".

No question, creativity is creativity. My preference goes to those creators who are inspired by what they've seen, and push boundaries, as opposed to homages, tributes and boldface ripoffs. That is why I'm so much more interested in the now.

NickySee likes this.
  6. NickySee

But pushing boundaries isn't limited to whatever you perceive as the now. Just because something has already been made doesn't mean it's already been seen. Nor is whatever is touted as new indicate originality or spark. I'm sorry but, imo, most filmmakers don't bother to see enough of what has gone before. And, like any craft, if you don't know its history how can you see where its going?

Dillydipper likes this.
  7. Dillydipper

I'm trying to help you see why I have a preference for my choices. I can see I am failing. This is not uncommon around here, where everybody seems to live in the same comfort zones they have been since since high school; it tends to break peoples' brains when I list a favorite crush from a current television show, a favorite album from this century, and films and television from people who are not already dead. Somehow life experience for me hasn't stopped at The Good Old Days.

Here I am a newly-enrolled Medicare recipient, yet I refuse to follow the 'Boomer Handbook. "Classic" has no place in my nomenclature, except music from the actual Classical Era of serious music; just doesn't register with me. This doesn't mean I don't have a preference for things in my past I don't respect or revere...it's just that I don't really have time for that. I already made time for that back when it was that time.

8. NickySee

I understood you from the outset, regardless of what you assume about my personal or shared group proclivities. The either/or choice seems limiting and unnecessary to me. The old/new categorization doesn’t apply to art (certainly not “entertainment”) in my book. Taking stands on either side seems a futile endeavor. You never know what will present itself as new to you or from what corner you’ll find it. And to use a hackneyed phrase, there’s truly nothing new under the sun except… perhaps life itself. :) As an old friend used to say, It’s all been done before!

9. Dillydipper

Or...not yet.

FWIW, I don't know what "shared group proclivities' you may be referring to. I was referring to the general mindset of the majority of members. Surely you've noticed. Exceptions do not invalidate a long time observing here.

NickySee likes this.
  10. NickySee

Doesn't bug me. I stick to the things I love. Brings its own rewards. ;)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    Dillydipper likes this.
  11. NickySee

[​IMG]
    Tampopo (1985, Jûzô Itami)
    A truck driver stops at a small family-run noodle shop and decides to help its fledgling business. On that threadbare storyline Itami grafts a comic contemporary romp in the style of the American Western. Picked up a Criterion Collection edition of this one last time B&N had their 50% Off sale. It's one of the more fun/lighthearted titles in the catalogue.

Ando II, rmath84 and Morpheus like this.
  12. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

A young girl maintains her positive outlook on life while living in a Brooklyn tenement during the early 1900s.

Ando II and NickySee like this.
  13. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

In some ways The Ox Bow Incident reminds me of 12 Angry Men, but set in a western era. Gil Carter and Art Croft ride into a small Nevada town plagued by cattle thieves. Initially suspected of being the rustlers themselves, Carter and Croft eventually join a posse out to get the criminals, who also may be involved in a recent shooting. When the posse closes in on a group that could be the fugitives, they must decide on a course of action, with numerous lives in the balance.

NickySee likes this.
  14. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

A documentary by Errol Morris about a pet cemetery in California, and the people who have pets buried there.

NickySee likes this.
  15. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Doc on the somewhat obscure/ indie band, Big Star:

NickySee likes this.
  16. NickySee

William Wellman classic. The great collection of actors really make it go (imo). Fonda got better as he got older though I really do like him in John Ford's Young Mr. Lincoln. His work in The Grapes of Wrath, another Ford-Fonda picture which has many of the actors in Ox Bow, is also very good and on many must-see lists. I've never seen a good free copy of it on YT, though. My Darling Clementine is often uploaded to the Tube but seldom in great shape. But it's my favorite Ford-Fonda collab to watch.

Morpheus likes this.
  17. NickySee

[​IMG]
    Odd Man Out (1947, Carol Reed)
    Bonafide nightmare classic about an IRA man who must suffer the best and worst of humanity when he is mortally injured during a raid and left by his comrades to find refuge with strangers. Nice copy.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    Morpheus likes this.
  18. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Of Mice and Men (1939)--Stars: Burgess Meredith, Betty Field, Lon Chaney Jr. An intellectually disabled giant and his level headed guardian find work at a sadistic cowboy's ranch in depression era America.

NickySee likes this.
  19. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Black Narcissus (1947)--A group of nuns struggle to establish a convent in the Himalayas, while isolation, extreme weather, altitude, and culture clashes all conspire to drive the well-intentioned missionaries mad.

NickySee likes this.
  20. NickySee

One of my favorites featuring Deborah Kerr. Looks great. Thanks.

Morpheus likes this.
  21. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Sound City
    A doc about a studio where a lot of great music was recorded, and Dave Grohl buying it's mixing board

Morpheus and NickySee like this.
  22. One of my least favorite Hitchcock films from the 40’s. It still has its moments though. Too much Selznick in it.

Morpheus likes this.
  23. NickySee

[​IMG]

Trouble Man (1972, Ivan Dixon)
    Mostly 70s Hood fashion eye-candy. Robert Hooks as (the original) Mr. T, the neighborhood fix-it man, is framed by syndicate outsiders who want to take over his action. Need to own a Blu-ray of this pretty one. Just wish it featured more of the great Marvin Gaye soundtrack.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    Morpheus likes this.
  24. NickySee

[​IMG]
    The Insider (1999, Michael Mann)
    A research chemist comes under personal and professional attack when he decides to appear in a 60 Minutes exposé on Big Tobacco.
    First time watch for me. Not enough Pacino in the thread. :D

Morpheus likes this.
  25. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Doc on Linda Ronstadt

rmath84 and NickySee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.