Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I was 59 1/2 when I was forced out of a corporate job in NYC. As I did not want to return to NYC for another job, I took early retirement and that was eight years ago ...

2. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

His Requiem is one of my favorite versions.

Daedalus and Bevok like this.
  3. Mild Mavis

Mild Mavis Forum Resident

How does this recording compare. I have four as it is such a lovely piece; two on vinyl and two on CD but I haven't heard this one.

4. Mild Mavis

Mild Mavis Forum Resident

Looks interesting. Would you recommend it?

5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I hope not, none of his recordings as a conductor did anything for me, but there's always a chance the Concertgebouw will put aside their objections, of course, whatever they are.

layman likes this.
  6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I listened to the Ansermet version on Spotify and didn't compare it to any of the versions I have, so I can't answer your question.

7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

You didn't ask me, but the Václav Neumann/Antonín Dvořák Supraphon box is excellent, so yes, I would certainly recommend it.

8. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Now playing, a car boot sale find from the weekend:

[​IMG]

Franz Schubert - Symphony #9 "The Great" - Mackerras/OAE

This is an unknown quantity for me - I've never heard symphonic Schubert, only piano and chamber works. With the always reliable, never dull Mackerras in the saddle, I couldn't say no for 50p. Interestingly, I don't think I have any recordings of Mackerras conducting an actual period instrument orchestra prior to this, only HIP-influenced modern instrument performances.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    Martinu, royzak2000, Daedalus and 6 others like this.
  9. Doctor Jimmy

Doctor Jimmy From Bach to the Beach Boys

Are Abbey Road 24/96 remasters for classical music usually good? It seems most of the classical titles in EMI are remastered by Abbey Road.

layman likes this.
  10. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

This morning I started re-listening to this box set. I bought it a few years ago but was not really impressed at the time so it went onto the shelf. I have been reconsidering my opinion. Some of the music making here is very interesting-especially his Prokofiev, Mussorgsky, but also his Schumann. He was a colorful, flawed character by the accounts I have read. I do not recall anyone here mentioning him-has he been in obscurity?[​IMG]

11. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

The black and gold recordings of the century ones use noise reduction - exactly how much of a problem this is depends on the source tape. I have the Klemperer Zauberflöte in this set and think it sounds great, but the Bohm Don Giovanni sounded very dead. I sought out a pre-remastered version of that and found it was hissier than a bag full of snakes, so they must have applied epic amounts of NR, hence the dullness. I’m guessing the Zauberflöte probably had a much better tape, and therefore needed non-detrimental amounts of NR.

So certainly from the opera perspective, I’d say it’s a case-by-case thing - not a name to flee from, but not a guarantee of a good remaster either. I ended up with the Mackerras/SCO Don Giovanni anyway, which is the pick of that (very good) series.

Martinu, Bevok, bluemooze and 4 others like this.
  12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Tennstedt has been mentioned quite a few times in this thread. I'm sure you'll find several posts when you use the search feature: search for "Tennstedt" and tick "search this forum only".

Daedalus likes this.
  13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Since Warner Music acquired EMI some of their remasters are done by Art & Son Studio, Paris, France ("son" is French for "sound"). They are quite good. They (Warner) also use remasters that were done at Abbey Road and some of these are indeed marred by noise reduction.

Starwanderer and layman like this.
  14. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD 1. Symphony #1 and the Haydn Variations.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Doctor Jimmy

So, Art & Son remasters are usually great and case-by-case for Abbey Road remasters?

16. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Like anything it's dependent upon one's ears. Some folks here swear by Art & Son and others avoid them like the plague. Makes it difficult, best is to try some streaming samples if you can.

Doctor Jimmy likes this.
  17. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I think we had a discussion a while back about how good his Mahler was.

Daedalus likes this.
  18. Doctor Jimmy

Does anyone has this box? I want a good sounding version of Klemperer's Mahler 2 and [​IMG] Das Lied Von der Erde.

19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Depends on what one prefers, no-noised sound, sometimes with pumped-up highs for "clarity", or sound that is futzed with as little as possible (= Art & Son), sometimes with clicks and pops in the case of pre-tape recordings or with a certain amount of tape hiss.

Bevok and layman like this.
  20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

This box has a mix of Abbey Road remasters from various years. It doesn't sound bad, but some prefer the earlier individual EMI CDs from the 1980s.

bluemooze, layman and Doctor Jimmy like this.
  21. mezfik

mezfik Active Member

Classical are always a nice vibe in the morning

TonyACT likes this.
  22. Doctor Jimmy

Same goes for other Klemperer box like Wagner one?

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yes. The Klemperer sets are all originally EMI boxes; the only thing Warner did was replace the EMI logo.

layman and Doctor Jimmy like this.
  24. Daedalus

I will check. Web articles seem to generally praise his Mahler.

TonyACT likes this.
  25. Daedalus

Thanks. Will do.