The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Yea, I don't know about that. The only time I was in Oklahoma I was hungry for a midnight snack.
    I went to some gas station near a railway track, picked up something to eat, and as i was walking out i could feel someone was following me....
    It was really disconcerting to then get propositioned by some young girl... i know that probably isn't Oklahoma, but it's my only memory of it, though i was only there as a one night stopover.

2. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

I've read recently on a book about sleep that the Guinness Book of Records no longer accepts records on the basis of hours being awake due to the potential damage to the body due to the lack of sleep.

ajsmith and mark winstanley like this.
  3. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

I've never watched this Piano Player show. For the longest time, I was only interested in the Marathon unreleased song. That was the big draw for me, the only draw, even, and having that Youtube demo when it surfaced was all that mattered.
    But I've enjoyed watching the first three parts this morning. Ray is good, it's interesting to see him play such a moody character, it's almost like he's channeling his inner french new wave actor, with his sad look and "existential" scarf. I would've thought he'd choose to play in his exuberant frontman/"starmaker" style but no, it's a daydreaming sensitive introverted Ray Davies he gives us. Physically, he looks a bit like Andrew Garfield with long hair. I've got to say I love his hair. Always have! Well, not in the 80's, no, I'm talking his late 60’s/early 70’s hair. His and George Harrison's got me into letting my own hair grow long, back in the day…
    (which you’d never suspect seeing me now, I can tell you…:rolleyes:)

4. mark winstanley

Yea I heard all sorts of things.
    The problem was folks wanted to be in a book, and be "famous", so tons of stuff got blocked from eligibility.
    Eating 75000 donuts to be in a book probably isn't a good idea lol

5. mark winstanley

Lol, same. I had hair when I was a rock pig. These days I get the clippers out to tame the balding mad professor thing LOL

6. DISKOJOE

Thank you Avid AJSmith, for being Substitute Headmaster this week. It reminds me of when I was in high school & we had a substitute teacher who was in local New Wave band on the side & he brought in a boombox w/his latest opus (a Chuck Berry cover I recall) for us to endure, erm, listen to.

Anyway, I have seen the first 3 installments that you have posted & I haven't had any problem w/the quality of the footage. It seems to fit w/the general surroundings. Norman Rossignton is unreconizable w/his Chia Pet hairdo & mustache, while Ray is pretty decent so far (for those who cannot see Part One, you're missing what he can do with a ice cream sundae!).

7. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Anyone interested in Downloading and Reuploading part 1, even if it's unlisted, for us Brits?

Bonus points for stringing all the parts together...

8. mark winstanley

I'd love to, but I need a new computer. Not sure when that will happen though..

9. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

There is a ‘play all’ playlist link for the current YouTube uploads FWIW… (obviously we island dwellers still can’t see the first part, but it makes viewing the rest of it smoother… although I’ll still be posting the various parts here individually to keep the discussion afloat).

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2682C51D44026A3E

10. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

It does sound very good to my ears. It's comparable to the "Ugly Pink" CD. The treble on the early hits seems subdued but I think that's how the original single pressings sounded. I used to have a Canadian Pye of "You Really Got Me" which sounded similar. The vocals sound very natural. The bass is nice and deep. It may have the best sounding "Waterloo Sunset" with the trebly acoustic guitar being reproduced wonderfully.
    It has the volume drop during "A Well Respected Man" that's present in some other masterings and 'Days" runs a little slow but those are the only negatives, sound-wise.

11. joejo

joejo Well-Known Member

I guess Cool Hand Luke might not make the cut these days. What is the record in the book BTW?

12. Zack

Zack Senior Member

If you are talking boiled eggs, the record is 141 in eight minutes by Joey Chestnut, same guy who has won the hot dog contest many times. (Yes, I provide quality content to this thread.)

13. mark winstanley

Lol, I have no idea.
    Cool Hand Luke is a great movie though :)

14. mark winstanley

Wow, that dude must've needed a lot of laxatives after that.
    Endurance eating, what a strange thing to put your life's journey into lol

15. jethrotoe

jethrotoe Forum Resident

Apparently The Kinks attempted recording “Marathon” (I guess during the Lola Vs. Powerman sessions) but it was abandoned, probably before completion. I wonder why? It’s a nice song.

16. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: A side note. I just heard you on the "Sail On" podcast (HERE). It was an interesting episode.

mark winstanley, Vagabone and FJFP like this.
  17. jethrotoe

jethrotoe Forum Resident

Here's an upload of "Marathon." It's just solo Ray singing and playing piano. It sounds more like a Percy track than a Lola Vs. Powerman track to me (a bit like "Just Friends"), but maybe with a full Kinks performance, it would have fit on Lola. The low-quality of this recording kind of serves the song though...it's a bit haunting.

18. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: This is very Plastic Ono Bandish.

19. DISKOJOE

mark winstanley and Fortuleo like this.
  20. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Sounds great. The haunting aspect and his vocal gives it an almost Syd Barrett or Kevin Ayers vibe.

I have not seen any of this show and didn’t even know about it. I will have to watch later tonight.

21. jethrotoe

jethrotoe Forum Resident

It reminds me of the demo for Harrison’s song “Circles,” both the lyrics and in the sort of eerie recording quality.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    mark winstanley and ajsmith like this.
  22. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Has this been cleaned up for a SDE?

mark winstanley and jethrotoe like this.
  23. jethrotoe

jethrotoe Forum Resident

An edit was included on the Lola Vs. Powerman 50th anniversary edition that came out last year, but I haven’t heard it.

mark winstanley and croquetlawns like this.
  24. DISKOJOE

25. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

As jethroetoe sez, it’s on the 50th box, but it’s (AFAICT) the same version as he posted above, which is in turn the same (likely only) version as Ray performs on the soundtrack of the teleplay. As it’s taken direct from the audio of the telerecording, I’d imagine there’s not a lot of scope for any cleaning up or audio upgrade.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021