How much musical merit in hair metal?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mtvgeneration, Apr 7, 2021.

1. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

Not going to catch me complaining about the Eurythmics...

Funny.....kids today would not be able to get through that intro......attention spans......endangered species list

Pouchkine and Doomster like this.
  2. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

Damn!.....they got a pretty solid drum sound on this track!

.....actually.....egg on my face.....it's probably an Akai S900 12-bit sampler.....DOH!!!

3. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

More importantly...their sometime bass player (Dean Garcia) and back-up singer (Toni Haliday) went on to form the best industrial/pop/shoegaze band of them all...

Curve
    Fait Accompli

4. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

Interesting!

I did not know this.

Thank you!

5. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Of course they had a lot of those influences you mention, but they weren't one dimensional either. Black Diamond, She, Parasite, Larger Than Life, Detroit Rock City, 100,000 Years, Love Gun, God Of Thunder, etc., are not among the songs Chuck Berry could have appropriated for himself.

There's no denying that they touched on the hard and heavy side of things from the start, just like there's no denying they went plain metal later, and whether you think they did it well is irrelevant and beside the point.

And no, the guy who swears the songs on Smashes are new recordings doesn't get to tell others to open their ears. :laugh:

6. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

:agree:
    :cheers:

deeluxdx7 likes this.
  7. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

THOSE ARE 100% RE-RECORDS!!!!!

I'm going to have that printed on my grave stone.

"Here lies Dee-Lux....SMASHES AND THRASHES ARE RE-RECORDS!!!"

ARK and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

And your grave will be far, far away from every other person (including KISS themselves, where I posted videos of them saying "remix")

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. I like Ratt a lot. I think Out of the Cellar is a masterpiece, it was one of the first 5 cassettes I ever owned. But I don't think it's as good as Shout at the Devil (another of the first 5 cassettes I owned). I'm not sure it's as good as Too Fast for Love either, but I'm pretty biased about that one. Too Fast has a special place in my heart lol.

10. I'm not sure if you're carrying on a joke or if you're serious but those tracks (besides Eric Carr's vocal on Beth) are not re-recorded. I assume you know the difference between a remix and a re-recorded track, correct?

Matthew Tate and Curveboy like this.
  11. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

Haha ... well, that would certainly be giving that album a prominence it is not used to ...

deeluxdx7 likes this.
  12. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

.....Oh come on!

....We are taking Gene and Paul at their word now?!?

.....as far as hiding my grave?.......no need to hurt my feelings! :(

But I'm telling you.......I've used the Roland R8 drum machine as much as anyone has, I know those samples when I hear them.....

......anyway......no need to open this can of worms again.....but someday I will make a detailed thread with all the evidence I can collect.

THEN we can really get into it.

13. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

HAHAH!

Good one!!

14. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

... to mangle a metaphor, it sounds like this could be a hill you are willing to die on ... {said generally no one ever about Smashes ... until now ... but hey!?}

Curveboy and deeluxdx7 like this.
  15. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

No, I am not joking.

I was a producer/engineer for the middle third of my career, I do know the difference between a "re-mix" and "Re-record"

What a "Re-mix" actually is, is NOT an additional mixing of the original tracks.

A "Re-mix" is when a producer is provided with the original vocal and designs an entirely NEW track around it.

I have done countless "re-mixes".......On many of which, I used the same drum machine KISS uses on SMASHES.

......at any rate....this isn't going to end well......I need to gather my evidence and make my case in a dedicated thread.

......until then, we'll just be "KISS fan'ing" each other to death.

16. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

HAHA!

This is why it's fun to be a KISS fan!

We're all ready to cut each others throats over an 80's throw-away, best of.

Good times! :)

17. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I was in "the biz" for 12 years myself...AND I had a contact inside the KISS camp from 1984-1990, and it was a remix.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

I am just impressed the controversy is NOT about the two execrable new tracks on the album ... Fair play to KISS for not hiding them towards the
    back of the album ... but that's where they belonged.

Interesting aside: UK version was one song longer (included Reason to Live) and also had Crazy Crazy Nights instead of Deuce - reflecting that Nevison's album was KISS's highest charting album in the UK, maybe ever

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    ARK and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. I'd be very interested in your "proof" that KISS re-recorded the tracks on Smashes, Thrashes, and Hits.

Matthew Tate and Curveboy like this.
  20. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Yeah, drum triggers do not constitute a re-record.

Brett44 and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

I don't have a dog in this fight, as I never listened much to Smashes ... (why, if you have the original stuff and the new songs are cringeworthy?).

But in experience, re-recordings would be fairly obvious ... if you have to listen hard to try and tell, they are probably not a re-recording.

I am not an audiophile and have no experience in the industry - so this is based on my experience that whenever I've accidentally and disappointingly bumped into re-records (LA Guns, Love / Hate, i know you needed the money but ...), you instantly know they're "off" and very different {now, maybe those ones were done on the cheap}.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Personally I love both new songs...the remix of Love Gun is good too (even with the added keyboard) as it really showcases Ace's lead work, and there is new found lead work on Deuce as they extended the fade out.

And you are correct; a novice can spot a re-record fairly easily.

23. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

Glad you like 'em.

I wanted to love those songs - but at the time that GnR were breaking, the Cult were big with Sonic Temple and even the likes of Jane's Addiction were getting traction in the UK rock press, so I guess my preferences back then were shifting in those directions too.

I haven't listened to them since probably '88 ... but not so sure time will have been kind!!

Curveboy and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

What's funny about this is that I had such the opposite experience...for me I was super happy Rock Hard and X-In-Sex had some balls to them after the generally neutered sound of Crazy Nights...I couldn't stand GnR (and still can't) I thought the Cult had completely sold out by Sonic Temple and have always found Jane's Addiction to be just awful (can you even call that singing??)

Very different perspectives...

rebetis and Pouchkine like this.
  25. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

Yeah different perspectives - but with a common KISS thread. That’s a great thing about KISS - their roster of fans who’ll admit it goes from thrash (Scott Ian) to groove metal (Dimebag Darrell) to grunge (Mike Mcready).

On those two tracks, music better than Crazy Nights for sure - but I couldn’t get passed the lyrics either on those two, to be honest.

On Cult, I just think Sonic Temple is well, a sonic temple, with epic rock songs and sure, if it feels like Zeppelin meets the Doors, that ain’t a bad combination… they were of course accused of selling out on the similarly excellent (to me) Electric first, of course, when they went AC/DC …

On GnR and on Jane’s Addiction - VERY different perspectives! I love em both to this day, think both Axl and Perry Farrell are super gifted artists.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021