Why So Many Box Sets?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Sep 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. realmdemagic

realmdemagic Forum Resident

Plus many artists have either retired or are reaching retirement. Emptying the vaults and doing remasters/remixes is way to keep cash flow going.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  2. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

3. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

I wonder if there’ll come a point when the physical media is completely irrelevant (more so than now), but the physical packaging will still be produced just to satisfy the tactile needs of certain consumers, with artwork, book, etc, packaged together with a streaming code or some such other key to the content?

Fabsmith likes this.
  4. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Welcome to Lorde's "discless format"....the beginning of the end
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Solar-Powe...ds=lorde+solar+power+cd&qid=1631802159&sr=8-2

Mickey2 likes this.
  5. Don Mendez

Don Mendez Well-Known Member

$$$$$$$$$$

6. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Feed the addiction

jacchank likes this.
  7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Looks like somebody's never gonna make it down to America in time for County Fair Season...:sigh:

Amnion likes this.
  8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

a great company from Germany...a link has been posted.

9. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

I'm a Grateful Dead fan so I have my share of box sets, but at least those are usually almost all unreleased material. And nobody's forcing me to buy them so I don't see an issue. They're luxury purchases that I'm fortunate to be able to afford.

It's very rare for me to buy a deluxe edition of an album. Unless it's a live show, the extra material will probably get one play, and frequently the "remastering" is worse than the older versions. A rare recent exception is the Wildflowers set, which had great sound and exceptional additional material.

10. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

It's like what they say in Detroit, small cars means small profits.

11. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I've basically just stopped buying boxsets. Too many, too expensive and not enough space to store them. I've found I play these sets far more vis streaming. I guess it's easier and more enjoyable to select and play randomly for a few hours.

Taxman likes this.
  12. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

If you don’t already have it, the EMI/Warner Karajan box is essential, his later DG recordings perhaps less so (with some notable exceptions of course).

13. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

My question is - does anyone put up the posters or use the stickers, wear the T-shirts they include in these boxes??

sunking101 likes this.
  14. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

The difficulty is, having been a music fan for a long time, it’s hard not to re-buy material I already have.
    I usually buy CD sets, but made an exception for THE BEATLES IN MONO and I’m glad I did, not only as a fan, but as a vinyl investment. I have it on CD also.

I had two cheap Tangerine Dream VIRGIN YEARS compilation CD sets, but bought about half of that material again when I bough the ‘IN SEARCH OF HADES’ box set. However, there were around 10 CD’s worth of unreleased material in the set, not to mention a DVD and Blu-Ray disc. I also got it new at half price, so I was very happy with the investment.

Almost all my box sets were bought used years ago and they haven’t been getting much play. It’s easy to unload Miles Davis box sets, such as THE CELLAR DOOR SESSIONS, so they get sold if they’re not getting used.

Others I’ll keep, such as KEITH JARRETT AT THE BLUE NOTE.
    I have to love it to keep it.

Taxman likes this.
  15. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Will have to look at the Warner box (is it a 'complete recordings' set as per the Complete Decca box?) - I understand some of the reservations some have regarding Karajan's 80s recordings, but so help me I love his 1980s Dvorak 9th Symphony & Peer Gynt albums.

Do you have a link for the Warner set so I know what to look for?

16. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

I might wear the T shirts if they were big enough.:D

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  17. Fabsmith

Fabsmith Forum Resident

No, I give it at least 10 years.

18. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Here you go:

Herbert von Karajan - Complete Remastered Edition | Warner Classics

It's going for crazy money right now, I'm sure Warner/EMI will repackage this set again sooner rather than later.

coffeetime likes this.
  19. Fabsmith

Fabsmith Forum Resident

Once they see how much these “inheritances” are worth, new generations might catch on to the box set concept.

Amnion likes this.
  20. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Lol, $250, no problem, I'm rich!!

Fabsmith likes this.
  21. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

People like owning physical things that are reminders of memories and signify their love of something. Box sets are an aesthetically pleasing method of checking these boxes. And in the world of streaming and downloads we've been in for 20 years now, something physically substantial (multiple discs, book, posters, etc.) is like a countermeasure against the popular norm.

MoonPanda, Jimmy Agates and Fabsmith like this.
  22. williamjoel

williamjoel Spins At 33 1/3 RPM

Some are ridiculous, some are money grabs, but some are great.

[​IMG]

23. Fabsmith

Fabsmith Forum Resident

I’m actually on my third go-through on the Harrison demos/outtakes/jams and am still discovering more to love. I like how these discs were sequenced more like a regular album and not 10 versions of the same songs like on the recent Dylan 1970 set.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    Lee Davis likes this.
  24. Fabsmith

Fabsmith Forum Resident

True
    Yes, but the 8-LP box WAS in my opinion. They did drop the ball on the CD SDE though. Completely agree.

Pianoman99 likes this.
  25. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I don't seem to get many sets with posters, stickers etc

I have framed the 4 Stones posters in the Goats Head Soup set - they look fab.

Only ever had 1 t-shirt - which was in a box for Alice Coopers Paranormal album and it came as XL and far too big to wear or else I would have.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.