Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Angel Dream (She’s The One OST reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Saul Pimon, Apr 7, 2021.

1. padreken

padreken Senior Member

Ryan, much thanks and gratitude to you, Chris and everyone at team Petty for all the outstanding, high quality work on a catalog of work that is beloved by so many of us. They’re in constant rotation on both our turntable and music server.

steviej and Lewisboogie like this.
  2. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

According to the liner notes, it's Mike on bass for both versions of "Climb That Hill". I agree, the bass is more "in your face" on the "All The Rest" version, and obviously in a good way!

Mr Ulyate, we all appreciate you around here. Your insights and information are invaluable! We also appreciate everything you do to make Tom's music as good as it can be. I can't wait for what you've got coming next!

btltez, jmxw, jeremylr and 1 other person like this.
  3. idledreamer

idledreamer Still idle

Went to an outdoor record show yesterday and the entire Genesis catalog could be had with ease by visiting just 3 or 4 tables.

TheLazenby likes this.
  4. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

:thumbsup: :edthumbs: :righton:

:-popcorn:

faceinthecrowd likes this.
  5. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Just got around to getting this. Love everything about the Wildflowers/STO era. I'm re-reading the thread but doubt I'll make it through 31 pages tonight :p

Does anyone know which/if any of the songs on Angel Dream are specifically recordings from the Wildflowers sessions? Are the unreleased songs from 1996 sessions or were they recorded for Wildflowers? etc etc

jeremylr likes this.
  6. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

I’m sure someone can give you precise information, but I’ll jump in and say I think the instrumental was probably recorded for She’s the One, as it’s based on “Angel Dream”, but the others were earlier, around 1993 or so. I believe Stan is drumming on those, and he did not participate in Wildflowers, so I’m guessing they were not recorded for Wildflowers.

jeremylr and warewolf95 like this.
  7. warewolf95

Do you think those songs might be from the "Greatest Hits" era/sessions? Thanks for the insight! :)

I only discovered Tom in earnest last year and his discography can get pretty messy some times trying to sort out all the b-sides and bonus tracks, etc :p

8. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Yes, it can. I've been a follower since 1980 and I still get thrown sometimes by SiriusXM exclusive tracks and b-sides/bonus tracks from his last few years and vinyl-only releases... :shake:

Although, his catalog is nowhere near as confused as James Brown's...

warewolf95 and faceinthecrowd like this.
  9. warewolf95

Since 105 Degrees and 13 Days apparently feature Stan Lynch, that means I was able to relegate those 2 songs to me "pre-Wildflowers"/Greatest Hits Era compilation.

Here's my new preferred way to listen to She's The One, combining the original with the new - As far as I'm aware now, these should all be specifically STO-sessions recordings.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Would love to know more. :)

Anyway, here's my attempt at compiling the 2 (STO and Angel Dream) into a more complete listen - I paid attention to sequence and flow and tried to make something "realistic".

Thoughts? I wanted to included every song - having Walls (Circus) "orphaned" was stupid to me (plus I love the song).

warewolf95's She's The One, Redux:

1. Walls (Circus)
    2. Climb That Hill
    3. Angel Dream 2
    4. Zero From Outer Space
    5. Grew Up Fast
    6. Change The Locks
    7. Airport
    8. A--hole
    9. Walls 3
    10. Angel Dream 4
    11. Supernatural Radio
    12. Hope On Board
    13. One Of Life's Little Mysteries
    14. French Disconnection

I like the soundtrack aspect but also the proper album part of it all as well. I wanted to keep the incidental music and the various versions of songs - I like having Walls and Angel Dream spread out, like a theme in a movie that pops up here and there, ya know what I mean?

The first half of the album is the rockier part, but not on purpose - that was just how the songs flowed best, imo.

The second half is more "thematic" in the loosest sense of the term with Walls 3 and AD4 and the incidental music. Again, it all just seemed to work good together.

Then you have Supernatural Radio which works perfectly as a big kind of rocking peak to close the album proper. It's like the big BAM at the end.

But then we have Hope/Life/French to close it for good. Going out of Supernatural into that orchestral theme that flows perfectly into that jazzy little One Of Life's Little Mysteries....Kinda sends the boat down the river nicely, ya know?

Then you have the French Disconnection to tie it all off with a knot as it is a reprise of Angel Dream

Thoughts? :)

10. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

I'm going to try this on for size. Thanks for doing the heavy lifting.:righton:

warewolf95 likes this.
  11. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

"One of Life's Little Mysteries" also features Stan on drums.

warewolf95 likes this.
  12. warewolf95

Let me know what you think :)

I hate having tracks all over the place - I like to organize stuff and make "imaginary" albums if the songs belong together. Era compilations and things :p

Mr. D likes this.
  13. warewolf95

Oh crap, are you for real? Dang it!!

Hmm, it works so well there for me though. I might just suck it up inside and leave it :p

Thank you for putting that to my attention! :)

MikeVielhaber likes this.
  14. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

:laughup: so true...

warewolf95 likes this.
  15. warewolf95

I think I finally have everything sorted out regarding the GH Sessions/Wildflowers/STO - the only one I can't pin down:

You Get Me High (1992) from Nobody's Children

Is this an early Wildflowers outtake or just some random recording???

Also, Come On Down to My House on that set is listed as 1992, but I've seen it referenced as a 1993 Wildflowers outtake.

Can anybody please set me straight on these 2 tracks? I'm confused, lol

16. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I think @McCool said in one of their posts that he started some Wildflowers stuff, then took a break for the Greatest Hits sessions, then picked up Wildflowers again [if I am recalling correctly].

So... :shrug:

But Come On Down is definitely Stan on drums!

warewolf95 likes this.
  17. warewolf95

Yes, that's what I've seen as well, hence my confusion :p I'm reading through both threads to catch up. Up to page 14 on this one, lol

jmxw likes this.
  18. KinkySmallFace1991

“You Get Me High” was an early WF outtake from August 1992.

My copy of Playback lists “Come On Down To My House” as 1993, definitely recorded in that marathon session from July 22-28.

Of course, @ryan de topanga is the man when it comes to these dates and session information.

Bonddm, TheLoveDrags, JoeF. and 4 others like this.
  19. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

"One Of Life's Little Mysteries" dates from the pre-Wildflowers era, after Tom Petty/Heartbreakers had returned home from their European tour in the spring of '92. That summer, the band gathered together to work out new material for the next Tom Petty/Heartbreakers album which never materialized, although a handful of tracks that TP wrote during this period did eventually end up being recut for "Wildflowers" in the ensuing months/years. There has also been a fair amount of material that has surfaced from these sessions either on "Playback", "Wildflowers And All The Rest" or the recently issued "Angel Dream (Songs And Music From The Motion Picture: She's The One)"

"105 Degrees" and "Thirteen Days" emanate from the July, 1993 sessions for "Greatest Hits". In between the second and the fourth phases of the "Wildflowers" project, Tom Petty at the suggestion of Rick Rubin took a break and brought The Heartbreakers in for short sprint of sessions dedicated to recording two tracks that he was contractually obligated to recorded for the MCA hits package. They ended up recording a lot more material than what they ended up using and some of that material has since surfaced on archival collections or Ryan Ulyate's "Behind The Glass" series for SiriusXM's "Tom Petty Radio". Incidentally, "Thirteen Days" was one of the twenty-five selections short-listed for "Wildflowers" in 1994 that didn't end up making the cut when the album was trimmed to a single-disc issue.

The rest of the material on "Angel Dream (Songs And Music From The Motion Picture: She's The One)" was tracked post-1994, although some of it may have originally been considered for a "Wildflowers" sequel record, "Wildflowers: 2" which was for all intents and purposes displaced by the soundtrack in 1996.

20. warewolf95

Thank you :D

I wish there was a Petty sessionography like that Keith Flynn Elvis site. Wanna take the torch for that? :p

Here's my compilation of the GH/Early Wildflowers recordings. Everything look kosher on this? Also, I know You Come Through is from 1995 but it fit on here kinda, so that's why its there. Man, this is a pretty rockin' set of songs! There's a legit rocking Heartbreakers album in here to come out! :)

Yea, it's not perfect, but with all the stray tracks this currently makes a good listen, imo. Such confusion for me with all this - Every time I learn something new this gets shuffled around/tracks removed/added etc, lol

"Pushing Up Daisies - The Wildflowers Parallels"

1. Baby Let's Play House (GH Sessions)
    2. Mary Jane's Last Dance (GH Sessions)
    3. God's Gift to Man (Not sure on this - is this from those summer 1992 sessions???)
    4. Thirteen Days (GH Sessions)
    5. You Get Me High (1992 WF outtake or summer 1992???)
    6. Wooden Heart (GH Sessions)
    7. Something in the Air (GH Sessions)
    8. Drivin' Down to Georgia (Alternate Version) (I know this is later, but again, it just fits good here, lol)
    9. Come On Down to My House (GH Sessions)
    10. You Come Through (1995, right?)
    11. Girl On LSD (B-side version)
    12. 105 Degrees (GH Sessions)
    13. One of Life's Little Mysteries (Pre Wildflowers now, yes? :p )
    14. Lonesome Dave (GH Sessions)

21. KinkySmallFace1991

“You Get Me High”, “One Of Life’s Little Mysteries” and “God’s Gift to Man” were all tracked in August 1992, along with “You Saw Me Comin’”.

jeremylr, warewolf95 and Peja11 like this.
  22. Rainy Taxi

Rainy Taxi The Art of Almost

Love this. In addition to "You Saw Me Comin'," one other song you could add would be "Blue Moon of Kentucky," another Elvis cover they recorded during the GH session. "Lost Without You" would fit, but no studio recording of that one has come to light. The live version segued beautifully from "Drivin Down to Georgia."

There were a few others with that meet the criteria with Stan on drums from that period that were only heard on Ryan Ulyate's Behind the Glass XM radio show, so never officially released in any way. But they were fun! Of those, "Easily Bored" and "Ain't Enough Money" were the best, IMO. There were others than were mostly jams that feel less even finished than what are already pretty loose cuts. "Something Ain't Right," "Change Your Ways," "Keep One Eye on You" — those are purely for the completists but worth mentioning!

23. warewolf95

Thank you!! Now, do those count as early Wildflowers tracks or simply "Summer 1992" tracks? Is there distinction?

24. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

I have them listed as thus [with sources when available]:

Pre-Wildflowers/Heartbreakers '92 Sessions
    ==================
    God's Gift To Man (Playback/1995)
    You Get Me High (Playback/1995)
    Wake Up Time (vsn. 1) (An American Treasure/2018)
    House In The Woods (vsn. 1) (Wildflowers And All The Rest/2020)
    Drivin' Down To Georgia (Wildflowers And All The Rest/2020)
    You Saw Me Comin' (Wildflowers And All The Rest/2020)
    One Of Life's Little Mysteries (Angel Dream/2021)
    Lost Without You
    Come On Down To My House (vsn. 1)
    Honey Bee (vsn. 1)
    Time To Move On (vsn. 1)
    It's Good To Be King (vsn. 1)

25. warewolf95

THANK YOU!!! Ok, now I am compiling this. Freakin' nice! My hero! :D