Anyone purchase record storage shelves from Mapleshade?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JorgeGvb, Aug 8, 2020.

1. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member Thread Starter

I need to replace a large shelf system I bought years ago for storing records. The Mapleshade shelves look like they are quality shelves, but I was hoping someone can give some insight if they actually have them.

Mapleshade Modular Furniture - Finished Walnut

If anyone knows of similar type shelves, please chime in. I prefer real wood and not particle board.

2. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

@JorgeGvb ,

I have the Mapleshade in maple with cherry inserts currently at 2-levels. Very well made and finished - solid wood; made in USA and should last 100+ years. Couple of items - there is no center divider (nice to break-up the shelf) but I have used the following that works perfectly - Lipper Bamboo Dresser Drawer Dividers (Set of 2) . They are delivered very well flat-packed so you have to do some assembly - quite a few screws but all pre-drilled and you do need to pay attention to the directions - its interlocking and once assembled very stiff. I have no regrets and I added the top shelf option for added added function. I would see no issues with a shelf stack of 4-levels.

grey17 and JorgeGvb like this.
  3. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

4. GryphonForsell

GryphonForsell Well-Known Member

I have both the original Per Madsen Rackit and the Mapleshade shelves.
    I prefer the Mapleshade shelves for two reasons:
    1. They are wider (24" storage) than the Rackit shelves (16.5" storage)
    2. They are significantly sturdier than the Rackit shelves. My stack of three Rackit shelves flexes laterally while my stacks of three and four Mapleshade shelves do not flex at all.

uzn007 and JorgeGvb like this.
  5. GryphonForsell

GryphonForsell Well-Known Member

6. Celticray

Celticray Forum Resident

[​IMG] [​IMG] I just setup 6 of the walnut lp cubes with two of the 17" high units. The 13" racks are tight for box sets. I have lots of CWD light oak furniture to store records, needed more storage and I couldnt really find anything that I liked. I wish these were enclosed with doors but you cant have it all. As stated the shipping and customer service are great. I'm waiting for delivery of the combined two shelf top for these. I also bought a wheel based 2 shelf record cabinet. These lps shelves are expensive. Make sure when you purchase to buy in four item lots to get the 15 % discount. I found out the hard way that you could buy two shelves and 2 record dividers and get the 15% ...you dont have to buy four shelves. All in all Im very happy[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    teag and JorgeGvb like this.
  7. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Hmmm.... screws? (It says all you need is a screwdriver). Is it also knock down hardware in the package, or just screws?

8. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

No experience with their record storage furniture, but if its anything like their equipment racks then your great great grandchildren will likely still be using them one day.

JorgeGvb likes this.
  9. Celticray

Celticray Forum Resident

There is no knockdown hardware... It solid wood, only wood screws to assemble in pre-drilled holes and four dowls for the next stack

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    tyinkc, jonwoody, teag and 2 others like this.
  10. JorgeGvb

Thanks to all for your input. Glad to hear there are a number of people who have purchased these shelves and stand behind the quality. I am likely to place an order this week.

11. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I have them stacked four high and am very happy with them. They are very sturdy and look great.

They are not inexpensive however.

uzn007 and JorgeGvb like this.
  12. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

Does anyone recall about the company who will be selling a record storage spindle unit that revolves 360?
    Like years back the CD spindles were the rage, Same concept but only for records.

I read in one of forums but I can't recall where. I also recall they will be taking orders this month.

Thanks!

13. teag

teag Forum Resident

Looks great. Are you still happy with these?

14. teag

teag Forum Resident

Did you end up getting Mapleshade shelves?

15. JorgeGvb

Yes, I bought something like Celticray has above, but just 6 shelves instead of the 8 that he has. I also bought a wood top that I use for my VPI record cleaning machine and a bookshelf speaker. I need to tidy it up a bit, but I will try to post a picture later in the week.

teag and clhboa like this.
  16. Celticray

Celticray Forum Resident

Yes Im, extremely happy. I have lots of CWD cabinets for record storage but I ran out of room. These are solid quality cabinets. Highly recommended. Expensive but well worth it. Make sure you buy four of anything as that will give you a 15% discount. I have the standard 13" high modules but also bought the 17" modules for box sets and to ensure I would not damage the box sets when taking them off the shelf or vice versa

teag likes this.
  17. teag

teag Forum Resident

Did you guys find it necessary to have add a top inlay on every shelf that the LPs go on? It seems like it’s needed to support the LP but just want to make sure.

18. Celticray

Celticray Forum Resident

There is no need, I only bought the "double wide" solid top for the very top shelf. I know what you mean about "support the lp"...each cube has a front and back top support that is strong. To be honest, the reason I bought these Mapleshade racks is that on my CWD racks....there are two kinds audio width and video width. I never had a problem with the audio width. However, on my Video cubes, I had a three module high unit that the wider CWD cabinet cracked/broke with the weight of 45 rpm Music Matter Blue Notes. Note my crappy support on the rug...between that and moving from California to Texas it caused the leaning tower of music. All these MM lps are now in the picture I posted of Mapleshade. Only downside is that there are no doors or way to enclose the cubes. These Mapleshade cubes are real wood and strong. The CWD had real wood sides but particle board horizontal shelves. I also have a 2 module high Mapleshade rack on casters that I keep near my turntable, this also has a solid top. the tops and bottoms use dowls to align the modules. I sure learned my lesson on having a solid base.

[​IMG]

teag likes this.
  19. Celticray

Celticray Forum Resident

On the Mapleshade pic I posted, It doesnt have the solid top yet as it took a few months to get. Some stuff are built to order

teag likes this.
  20. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I have three stacks of four maple shelves and love them. The quality is outstanding. They're easy to put together especially once you've done one. The main downside is the cost - if you have a large enough collection it may be cheaper to have something custom built.

JorgeGvb likes this.
  21. teag

teag Forum Resident

Thanks for the information. On your Mapleshade picture it looks like you have solid bottoms under the LPs. Am I seeing this wrong? This is an option on Mapleshades website. This is what I was wondering about.

22. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Maybe just make some.

23. Celticray

Celticray Forum Resident

The bottom of the shelf comes standard. There is an option for a thinner blonde inlay... which would look nice but I didnt get

teag likes this.
  24. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

Interesting. As I view the Mapleshade site, there seems to be no bottom to the shelves (as in, the records rest on the edges running left to right, not a flat surface fully running front to back). They sell an inlay which I guess provides the full flush shelf effect. Am I seeing this wrong? Celticray, your shelfs seem to have both (second shelf looks full, the ones above seem standard without inlay?)

Also, regarding the finished tops — seems they are wider than the unit so sort of ‘overlay’ the unit, which means if you want to line up two or more multi-shelf units, the finished tops on each would make the vertical supports stand slightly apart with the units touching only at the top front-to-back edges. I love the look of yours, Celticray, but if you need a finished top, do you have to special order a larger one to allow the side-by-side units to remain aligned? I suppose ‘inlay’ shelves will allow for close placement if you don’t want to put heavy gear on top.

teag likes this.
  25. teag

teag Forum Resident

I see the same thing on Mapleshades website. It looks like the bottom cost extra. Since its required, I can't see why they would not include it with the shelf.