The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses?

I hear the high hats

bzfgt and US Blues like this.
  2. Oscillation

OMG little school girl is smoking hot!

Paperback Writer and US Blues like this.
  3. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

If Pig says she's hot, then she's hot. No further discussion required.

ARK, Paperback Writer, bzfgt and 3 others like this.
  4. Oscillation

Phil and Pig are on fire

Paperback Writer likes this.
  5. Oscillation

Jerry's no slouch :D

Paperback Writer likes this.
  6. Oscillation

Love me some pig

ARK likes this.
  7. Oscillation

OK tomorrow I will come back with the 331/3 experience of the same, now so super excited!

ianuaditis likes this.
  8. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

And you guys give my date formatting a hard time … :winkgrin:

ARK, KCWhistle, ianuaditis and 4 others like this.
  9. US Blues

20 September 1974- Paris

Yum!

10. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I wasn't around yesterday, so two days today.

All of these except one were at the Garden and that one was at the other Gahden.

September 19 - was at 1987, 1988, and 1990

1987 - Another of the best shows of this run. Possibly my favorite. I took my father to this show, and he liked it......(from afterwards, "Black Muddy River was his favorite Dead song). Well played with another great 2nd set, "Crazy Fingers>Uncle John>Playin"and the first (non-Dylan) "Maggie's Farm."

1988 - This show, like most of MSG 88, was a big blur. I guess significant for the only "China Doll" of the year.

1990 - Much has been said already, and yes, it might be the best of the run. We know all the highlights.

September 20 - was at 1987, 1988, 1990, 1991, and 1993

1987 - Felt lackluster after the last two shows.

1988 - I remember this as being my favorite after 9/16/88. Liked the "Morning Dew" and "Terrapin" (which I think I remember they played around with Jerry's vocals only coming from the back speakers from some verses). Great setlist on paper.

1990 - Much has also been said about this one. It was the only time mail order gave me front row (and front row center at that). Top 20 favorite show.

1991 - Much has also been said about this one.....I'm in the minority, but while I liked the show, I thought it was lacking in some areas. 1st set wasn't great. "Help>Slip>Fire" was wild for the surprise. I thought the "Estimated>Truckin" that followed was the best part of the show.........and of course "Morning Dew." I had a great time, but might be a show where the word overrated could be used.

1993 - The best show of MSG 93 that didn't have a (as Popeye would say it) sax-o-ma-phone player. Great setlist. My only time seeing "The Race Is On." Edie Brickell reading weird poetry during space was great too.

11. SwamiGD80s

SwamiGD80s Antagonist

9/19/88, 9/19/90, 9/20/91 are fantastic.

LandHorses likes this.
  12. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

On 9/19, I saw the '87 and '90 MSG shows. The Playin' on 9/19/87 features one of the best jams of that year.

On 9/20, I saw the '90 and '93 MSG shows, and agree with your assessments.

The '90 shows of course were both outstanding. I'd forgotten when you'd done your earlier posts that I'd also attend a Shoreline run from 9/16/94 through 9/18/94. Have to admit that I don't remember much at all from that run - I saw a lot of shows at Shoreline and a lot of those from '93-'95 blend together in my memory.

13. US Blues

It all rolls into One.

KCWhistle and trd like this.
  14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I heard this on the Dead Hour once. Fun setlist idea but I remember on one of the "Fire" choruses the singers all came in a beat late. Always wondered what happened there.

trd likes this.
  15. SwamiGD80s

SwamiGD80s Antagonist

Christopher Hazard has been uploading Fall '91 shows on YouTube in HD. I'll prolly watch 9/20/91 in the near future.

ianuaditis and tobyd like this.
  16. sadguitarsolo

sadguitarsolo Forum Resident

Lol I've been a member here for 6 years but never posted really, but I'm glad to see such a big Dead following. I am quite obsessed. I just recently picked up the 50th anniversary vinyl of Skull & Roses and the matching shirt. So sweet.

ARK, KCWhistle, mgb70 and 9 others like this.
  17. Crosseyed

Crosseyed help I'm a rock

I'll have to listen to this run again but I always preferred this show over the following night (8/01). Higher energy. I always felt this show got the short end of the stick since there is no soundboard.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  18. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

IWT. That was the night King Abbad II al-Mu'tadid died. Gave them the whole idea for Blues for Allah.

19. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

:biglaugh:

20. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

That's a good price. Crank it up.

21. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

That's, like, basically almost the whole second set. The Estimated>Truckin>Jam sequence is off the hook, as previously noted, and I seem to recall that the Morning Dew was particularly good the last time I listened to it. Fast, fiery Jerry when he's completely in control. I agree that the first set was nothing special, the only set of the 12 in Boston that gave me that impression at the time.

22. kevin

kevin Senior Member

Now listening to 9/20/87[MSG NYC]on TIGDH on XM's Grateful Dead channel via the webstream now playing Hell In A Bucket.

23. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

You hit the nail on the head. All folks want to do at a wedding or party is to get drunk and dance. Catharsis, if you will.

It is catchy? Does it have a good beat? Boom. Perfect for the wedding. Folks are not paying attention to the lyrics.

trd, Paperback Writer and US Blues like this.
  24. US Blues

Did you hit the Wrigley shows?

25. US Blues

At a cousins wedding the first dance was to the song If I Had The World To Give. Grooms Choice.