'Drag Me To Hell'

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Sep 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Comedy is comedy...and THIS is a good comedy!

2. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

One of my favorite things about Drag Me To Hell is that the main character, the young woman who has the curse placed on her, the character we root for, could be seen as a villain if you strip away the veneer of innocence. Look at the choices she makes and ponder it!

3. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

Goats are always creepy. There's this one and that one in ' The Witch '

4. vince

At the beginning of that scene, Sam gets some good 'goat-acting' from the 'real' goat!

5. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

[​IMG]

6. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

I love it. About as close to seeing a comic book on screen without using animation as it's possible to be!

7. How so? Seems like a real stretch to me.

8. vince

Well...
    she DID say she could've helped the old lady, but she choose against it so she didn't look like she was too 'charitable' to her boss.

9. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

I actually had to review this film when it came out and, based on the poster, I thought "oh god, this is going to be awful", and I went into the press screening with a feeling of absolute dread.

Then in the opening credits appeared "Directed by Sam Raimi" and "Produced by Rob Tapert" and I almost had a heart attack with excitement!

Masterpiece. Adore it.

10. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Not everybody gets what they deserve, and there is no force in the universe that assures proportionality. The moral of the story, if there is one, is "Don't be obnoxious to anybody."

11. Chris DeVoe

That goat is the G.O.A.T!

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Get it confused with The Skeleton Key.

13. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Say what? I don't see that at all. The gypsy curse wasn't warranted, but I don't see how that had anything to do with her being a woman.

Alison Lohman deserved her fate for sacrificing the kitten. I was on her side until then.

14. Chris DeVoe

He was also wonderful as the doctor in Idiocracy.

Doctor: Don't worry, scrote. There are plenty of 'tards out there living really kick-ass lives. My first wife was 'tarded. She's a pilot now.​

15. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

Ok movie, something of a misfire. Not at all scary, but some humor in it. Lesser Raimi at best, much lesser.

Give me Evil Dead, ED II, Army Of Darkness, Darkman, & the 1st 2 Spidey flicks, (especially Spidey II), over this.

16. vince

I'm hoping he brings this kind of 'dark-silly' to the Doctor Strange movie he's directing!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  17. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

I'd like another The Gift or A Simple Plan.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  18. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

That one is a far superior movie imo.

19. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

The main thing I liked about the film was that it didn't chicken out with a "happily ever after" ending. Kind of refreshing.

OTOH: I barely remember anything else about the movie, which isn't a good sign.

20. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Refreshing is not the word that comes to mind. I got bored some time ago with non "happily ever after" endings in horror movies. I watch quite a few horror movies and it got so that almost every one released predictably didn't have a positive end for the protagonists, such that I started to miss them. Ah well.

Thought this film was ok the first time I saw it, but it was on the telly again a few nights ago and couldn't get into it.

21. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

Great movie! Fun, suspenseful and fast paced action and comedy, also well developed main character played by Alison Lohman. I was rooting for her and wanted her to beat the evil curse and get that promotion :)

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  22. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Very good movie.

Agree on Justin Long. Very good actor.

Can't go wrong with Sam..

23. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

How did that work out for you?

24. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

Fair point. I think the big budget, big studio thrillers are more likely to have the protagonist prevail at the end. While more modestly budgeted indie horror is more likely to go for the gut-punch ending. Agreed that the downbeat ending has been overused in recent years to the point of becoming tiresome. Although I'd argue that the ending of Drag Me to Hell is more ironic than downbeat.

25. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I remember thinking this was a ridiculous movie when I viewed it on DVD after it first hit the streets. I don't know...I'm not much of a fan of the campy horror genre, so I'm probably not the the best to judge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.