'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. this_machine

this_machine Forum Resident

I've been hoping for Odyssey after grabbing an original this year. It's a distinctive album with some subtle passages that could really shine in the Tone Poet presentation.

ultron9, Greenmonster2420 and scotti like this.
  2. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

Don't be so uptight guys. Jeez. It's just funny that Blue Note doesn't mention anything about the digital master of Joe Henderson on their site (both mention ALL ANALOG, while it clearly isn't).
    So don't believe everything that you read. Who knows that this Wayne Shorter might be the same case. I don't say it is it was just something i noticed.

But it looks like the thread that disappeared. Don't say something negative about TP release because people get uptight.

Bjshawk1980 likes this.
  3. trd

trd Forum Resident

It’s not that you said something negative, it’s that you said something verifiably false and then copped an attitude about it when you were corrected.

Christopher B and SAMAUL like this.
  4. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

Show me where i said something false?

5. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

Apologies if this has already been covered, but I just looked on the BN site and all future Tone Poet releases are listed as with release dates TBA. I was hoping to find out the release dates for a few of the titles I'm looking forward to and was surprised that not even the next two scheduled for release have street dates. Anyone have any other information or is this really where BN are at right now ... with no future release dates nailed down? Yes, I know everything is backed up.

6. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

Waiting list at pressing plants.

7. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Post #23525 has an update as to why no dates have been given yet.

mktracy and TheWarmth like this.
  8. trd

trd Forum Resident

You know what you said and life’s way too short to get in a back and forth with someone who is just looking for a an argument on the Internet. Have a nice day.

9. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

Haha sure. Verifiably false according to you.

Try to read my questions again.

Bartolo Mascarello likes this.
  10. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

On my end, both your JPC and Deck Records links show 8 tracks, same 5 titles but 2 versions for 3 of them, identified as the RVG edition. Nothing to do with Tone Poets.

Korato69, SAMAUL, ryu and 4 others like this.
  11. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

And what does the product title say?

Wayne Shorter: All Seeing Eye (Tone Poet Vinyl) (180g)

12. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

I think it's fair to say that the Tone Poets are clearly not pressed from the digital Van Gelder mixes from the 2000's. Not sure why you're so adamant on continuing to argue. :sweating::doh:

Christopher B, ryu, CBackley and 3 others like this.
  13. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

Well because people here assume that I said that while clearly I did not. Just find it interesting that you are so sure about something you wouldn’t know. As the Blue Note page also note that Joe Henderson is AAA. While it turns out it’s not.

14. Kenny Lagers

Kenny Lagers good ears beat good gear

Getting back to Schizophrenia.

In a case like this, where Kevin Gray has already done the mastering for an AAA release, but the standalone record hasn’t been widely released in a meaningful sense (yes, it was in an anthology box set, but neither that nor the record itself is in print), could the parent company, who owns the original licensing rights to begin with, simply take Kevin Gray’s work from the VMP anthology and press it in, say, the Blue Note Classics series? (I’m assuming here that Harley’s aversion to doing titles already done in other series would preclude a Tone Poet release.) Or are specific masterings such as this also under contractual restrictions or licensing windows of some sort?

Sorry if that’s an ignorant question, and I’m not trying to go down a rabbit hole of telling record companies how to conduct their business, but it seems like a no-brainer for Blue Note to simply repress some or all of those AAA KG cuts from the Story of BN anthology in either the Classic or Tone Poet series.

timzigs and trd like this.
  15. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

If you happen to be on Instagram, and you look up Joe Harley, on his account you can see a short clip of the mastering session for The All Seeing Eye. He often posts clips of the mastering sessions for upcoming Blue Note releases that he and Kevin are working. In his original post, you can see the tape boxes, and see the analog tape playing for The All Seeing Eye. I'll try to post a link to the Instagram post: Login • Instagram

(Edit: The link worked for me without logging-in, so you should be able to see it)

hutlock, mktracy, trd and 2 others like this.
  16. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

Thanks. No insta. Don’t know the album but this sounds wonderful. Picking it up tomorrow.

PBo likes this.
  17. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I have talked to Joe about this title. If someone like VMP does a BN record like this AAA, then they hold off for a while as in more than just a year. He mentioned that he may do it way down the road, but it seems more likely to be a BN Classic rather than a Tone Poet. Same in regards to "The Freedom Rider". I really wish Blue Note titles were off limits for VMP, but no doubt some type of agreement was made there. Do not read me wrong, all of the VMP releases I have sound great and think they put out quality product.

timzigs, mackeyse, wellers73 and 6 others like this.
  18. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

but it doesn't say that.

The marketing tag lines for the Tone Poet's says the series "FEATURES" these things.

"Blue Note Records’ Tone Poet Audiophile Vinyl Reissue Series is produced by Joe Harley and features all-analog, mastered-from-the-original-master-tape 180g audiophile vinyl reissues in deluxe gatefold packaging."

But the TONE POET SERIES also contains:
    1) titles that are not on the Blue Note label.
    2) titles that are not analog
    3) titles that are not in gate fold jackets

"Mastering is by Kevin Gray (Cohearent Audio) and vinyl is manufactured at Record Technology Incorporated (RTI)"

Note the second sentence is separate, since it applies to all titles.

There is no detailed list of which source each title comes from, nor does the marketing say if it's a gatefold.
    So it's necessary to understand the claim of what the series "features", it does not claim 100% gatefold or analog, or even 100% Blue Note !

19. Kenny Lagers

Kenny Lagers good ears beat good gear

So what you’re saying is … there’s a chance!

Thanks for the info—love having a trusty source with a direct connection to JH! Fact-based posts are the best kind of posts.

:cheers:

mktracy likes this.
  20. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Yes.. they recently sent me a Now He Sings, Now He Sobs that was clearly a return. It didn't have the outer baggie and the jacket was a bit damaged. It had one of those stickers that Amazon attaches to the jacket that some people around here have told me is for the Amazon Warehouse.

This is getting to be a semi- frequent occurrence. Some people on the Good Deals on Amazon thread have reported this happening to them. Amazon is clearly sending out opened / used product but it is being sold as new. This is a problem if it continues.

timzigs, mktracy and trd like this.
  21. This happened to me with Speak No Evil - the jacket was beat to hell. Record played good enough though and Amazon.ca took off half of the price.

22. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Yes. That part's correct. The rest is cut and paste from the RVG edition entry and erroenous. No need for detective work : it says so ! In case you don't know, the RVG Edition was a reissue series featuring digital remasters by Rudy Van Gelder released by Blue Note in the early 2000s. Nothing to do with Tone Poets.

mktracy, trd and DeRosa like this.
  23. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Huh. I’m glad I chose yard work today.

24. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Did you manage to get rid of the trol... sorry, the gnomes?

trd and hutlock like this.
  25. J Borland

J Borland Forum Resident

Hi Scotty. No KG in the dead wax. I see EBS and RIY. I thought it sounded great but have only spun it once or once and a half and not in a while.