How much musical merit in hair metal?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mtvgeneration, Apr 7, 2021.

1. BA Baracus

BA Baracus Forum Resident

Can you add KISS? :D

deeluxdx7 likes this.
  2. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Why would you do that? So that you could be ridiculously wrong for all eternity?

Hopefully your GF will override that last wish of yours. :D

Curveboy likes this.
  3. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

I have a NEW G.F!

She's still in the "I'll pretend to like KISS phase, and believe whatever you say about them.....and pretend it's not strange for an adult male to be so obsessed with meaningless minutia concerning them,"

I'll make my case in a new thread when I have time to make my case properly......and by that time she'll probably have left me......Oh well, more time to ague with you guys.

ARK likes this.
  4. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

I don't doubt your credentials.

But I believe what I believe based on solid evidence.

Evidence that I need to present in an organized digestible format.

Until then, I shall remain silent on the subject.....

....BUT THIS AIN'T OVER!!!!

5. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

WHOA! WHOA!......Hold the phone!

I have dibs on Asylum!!!

Cureboy has "Crazy Nights" "Anamalize'.........and most likely "Revenge" all too himself!

"Asylum" is Strictly Terrible Dee Territory (Dee Lux....sorry).

Doomster likes this.
  6. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I've always maintained that Asylum is a top 5 best KISS disc.

7. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

It's definitely there or thereabouts.

Curveboy likes this.
  8. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

Well ... I guess I AM hanging out in the hair metal thread, so I should expect to see some love for Asylum, but now I feel surrounded ...

More seriously, I know many consider Asylum or Crazy Nights to be the absolute nadir of the band. But I'd accept it is their most consistent record post Lick it Up in terms of song writing, and now delivered without the benefit of "elixir of Vinnie" (even if song doctors are still around).

Very much a continuation of the Animalize style, but less patchy. Had both on a TDK cassette either side back in the day, and Asylum was the stronger.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    Psychedelic Good Trip and carlwm like this.
  9. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I'm not desperately keen on Animalize. It's essentially half a great album surrounded by some of KISS weakest material, at least to my ears, although there are plenty of vociferous supporters of the album, in these parts. and good luck to them.

Asylum though, is consistently strong, I reckon.

10. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Awesome closer on Lick It Up. Love this track. So free spirit sounding this track is. Kind of gave you an idea of the hair metal genre that would come out and continue BIG 80's, 1984-1989. I hear so many different later to come hair metal bands in this tune. IMHO

11. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

This used to be a favourite of mine too ... Lick It Up is a very, very strong 80s metal album in my opinion ... the production is maybe a shade too bright and clean ("if you know what I mean") compared to the more atmospheric and roomy Creatures ... but the songs are up there. Minor key genre classic.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  12. Psychedelic Good Trip

Hear ya, but LIU radiates BIG old 80's metal sound. Creatures was dirtier and gave it that nasty raunchy edge but I think the cleanliness of Lick did it good.

carlwm likes this.
  13. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I like And On The 8th Day but I love the original demo more...

14. Psychedelic Good Trip

That's awesome.

Curveboy likes this.
  15. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

Sorry man!

I called "Asylum" first!

That's officially a Deeluxdx7 KISS record.

You HAVE to hate it now!

16. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

I suppose if you like that early 80's metal sound "Lick it up" might be a record you really enjoy.

For me, and it's not because they took off the make-up, this was where they really finished their transition into a totally different band than the one that had been around for 10 years already.

A band I LOVED!.....A band that no longer existed....They did what they had to do I guess, nobody wanted anything to do with the original KISS in 83'.

Not their sound, not their look....NOTHING......classic case of over-saturation and over-exposure. In order to keep working, they needed to become something completely different.

Mind you, I wasn't around for any of this stuff. My knowledge of this era is strictly from reading various historical accounts. But for me?..........NAH!....That just wasn't KISS.

I will 100% admit to loving the title track. (It's the first song I taught my first band to play......because it's about the simplest song ever written,) But that had more of a Rolling Stones vibe. It didn't jive with the rest of the record.

And I've ALWAYS loved "Fits like a glove" Punk-Rock Gene, is awesome Gene. That song REALLY stood out to me when I first heard the record. Interestingly enough, I belive it is the ONLY song Vinny Vincent does NOT have a Co/writing credit on.

But all the other stuff......the 80's metal stuff.......I HATED IT! (And just to remind everyone, I said that I HATED it, that's all, just MY opinion.)

BA Baracus and Curveboy like this.
  17. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I'd say I called it first...two years before you joined up...

:angel:

KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

18. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Strange...I'd say Fits Like A Glove is by far one of their most purely metal tunes in the Katalog.

Anthrax likes this.
  19. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

We might need to start a poll to see who gets custody of "Asylum"

......I'm somewhat surprised you like that record. Doesn't seem like the style of KISS record I would have guessed you would enjoy.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

I'd say "Not for the innocent" or "Exciter" or.....well......just PICK one off of "Lick it up".....to me, that's traditional, classic, 80's, old-school Metal. Which was VV's calling card.

To me, the title track and "Fits like a glove" stood out like sore thumbs....I was already well into my Teenage-Punk years by the time I bought "Lick it up" (Although I never stopped loving KISS.)......and to me "Fits like a glove" REALLY stood out.......more than the title track did, initially.

I used to play "Fits like a glove" around my "Punk" friends and they would always love it......although they would die laughing at the "Hot knife through butter" part.....but not in a bad way, they were just highly entertained by it....as I'm sure we all are. (If you have a sense of humour, which I think most people on this thread DO have.)

Some would ask who it was (I wouldn't tell them.) Some already knew the song.

Nobody EVER said "That sucks" EVERYONE enjoyed it.

Matthew Tate and carlwm like this.
  21. mknopfler

mknopfler Well-Known Member

I'm sure there is some musical merit...but enough to displace the ozone damage they did ? Not sure.

Matthew Tate and Curveboy like this.
  22. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

I get someone who loved Classic KISS but didn’t love 80s metal not loving Lick It Up … it’s by definition what you don’t like.

I wouldn’t take it to a desert island ahead of around seven or eight other KISS studio albums, but it is a post make up pinnacle for me (I can’t figure out if I can count
    Sonic Boom or Monster in that ranking, which are post make up but back in make up )

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. BA Baracus

BA Baracus Forum Resident

KISS was my favorite band in the 70s.. I had the Kiss cards and we all had our favorite of the 4 characters which were (Gene Ace Peter Paul.. in that order for me). Once Ace and Peter were gone... AND the makeup came off? ..they were not KISS to me. Even replacing one member changes it a lot. And I look at it like its cheating.. you cant compare them to original classic lineup- bands. Especially when it's the guitarist, and a guitarist as unique as Ace. (I don't care if you replaced/hired a faster more technical "better" drummer -guitarist- vocals etc.)

Hearing those new Kiss"Hair Metal" albums.. they sounded and looked nothing like the classic band I grew up on. They weren't the burgeoning -hungry- fresh new sound I was hearing and flipping over in 1983 ... that was coming from the likes of Motley Crue, Ratt, WASP, Dokken etc.

This KISS I was seeing on MTV we're 2 rich old guys I used to like with makeup, that kept trying new gimmicks to fit in and adding new fill-ins. They looked as if they're stylists were dressing and doing their hair for them.. horrifyingly. I was wanting them to be that kind of evil gang again -bring back Ace and Peter, and the makeup!

I saw the Gene and Paul show live about 5 years ago.. at least they all had make up on and I pretended like it was my favorite band from 1977.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  24. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

Nice to read about your personal experience ...

Matthew Tate and BA Baracus like this.
  25. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

nice read other than in 1985 gene and paul weren't rich or old