2020 Yamaha Integrated Amps A-S1200/2200/3200

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Deadly_Icy_Calm, Mar 27, 2020.

1. octavius

octavius Forum Resident

I would like to get A-S1200 or A-S2200 for Monitor Audio Gold 300 but I cant decide which colour to get... Rest of my equipments are in black CD player, Cassette deck, Tuner but silver likes me so much. Which colour is better, nicer for you guys?

2. stricee

stricee Forum Resident

black

PunkSaxMix likes this.
  3. OC Zed

OC Zed Bludgeon Riffola

Whatever floats your boat. I have the silver and I think it looks great.

siebrand likes this.
  4. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

They both look fab!

MikeJedi likes this.
  5. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

6. octavius

octavius Forum Resident

I have to say that A-S3200 in black looks gorgeous due to bigger VU meters but smaller VU meters in A-S1200-2200 looks so small in black. In silver is amp 1200-2200 (optically) bigger than in black. Just my feeling. :)

PunkSaxMix, Spokeless and MikeJedi like this.
  7. Xpression Carbon

Xpression Carbon Forum Resident

I went with silver As1200, although every thing else I own is black.. P6, CD player etc. It'll be in a dark blue room, and I am concerned I wouldn't see the controls as well with the black finish.

If they only put a little orange led on the the volume control like the old AX series...

Spokeless and IainS like this.
  8. hostaempresswu

hostaempresswu Well-Known Member

is the a-s1000 a big jump from the 701/801 and comparable to the 1100/1200? same sound signature without vu-meters ?

9. octavius

octavius Forum Resident

I would be interested which amplifier is better for Monitor Audio Gold 300? Yamaha A-S1200 or Hegel H300. Hegel has a terrible design opposite Yamaha's beautiful.

PunkSaxMix likes this.
  10. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

The Monitor Audio Gold 300 in black with the Yamaha A-S1200 would look awesome.
    I would think the Monitor Audio Gold 300 would appreciate the extra watts of the Hegel though.
    This isn't much help...

11. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Still loving my AS2200 ! It’s so unbelievably amazing sounding. It is warm and very detailed at the same time. Really reminds me of a good Class A amp. ! It really does. Listening to the EAGLES S/T SACD is a revelation. I also think I did good matching the components to it like my Oppo 105D , Klipsch RB 5 bookshelves , Furman power center , AQ Columbia XLR , BJC 10 AWG , Technics table etc :)

micpoc, PunkSaxMix, bluemooze and 3 others like this.
  12. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

I can’t answer your question about this comparison, but I can say that my Yamaha A-S1100 compliments my MA Silver 300s very nicely. The warmth of the Yamaha settles down some of the more clinical sounding aspects of the Silver 300s.

MikeJedi likes this.
  13. Helom

Helom Forum member

As much as I love the Yamaha sound I would not pair their integrateds with MA speakers. I feel MAs benefit from a more meaty sound, so Parasound or possibly Hegel. Exposure amps should also be a better match. I’d rather use Exposure separates (3010S2) which can be bought for about the same price as a new 2200.

bluemooze, all24bits and Ivand like this.
  14. octavius

octavius Forum Resident

Exposure separates (3010S2) is quite good idea. Here is the cost for pre-amp 1300€ and 1500€ for amp. I would like to be Gold 300 more shining in higher frequency (top end)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    bluemooze likes this.
  15. Reesdog

Reesdog Forum Resident

Well, good news!

The A-S2200 has come up for sale on our local version of eBay (Trademe) and I've managed to purchase it at a great price after a little bit of negotiating back and forth. It's the black version, which is the colour I wanted and second-hand, but in mint condition with the remote and original box. I haven't picked it up as yet, but that'll happen over the next couple of days hopefully..

16. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Great news congrats !! Let us know how u like it once u get it hooked up .. :)

Reesdog likes this.
  17. Reesdog

Reesdog Forum Resident

Thanks! I will indeed..

MikeJedi likes this.
  18. Reesdog

Reesdog Forum Resident

So the A-S2200 is all hooked up and having my first listen now. Far out this thing is the business, best amp I’ve ever owned by a mile!

First record played with it is Depeche Mode - Ultra and damn, it sounds so smooth and detailed, I’ve never heard this album sound anywhere near as good as this, all the little chiming noises and subtle keyboard parts that were always in the background and barely noticeable are now so clear and up front, some I’m noticing for the first time.

Love it, very happy, it looks great too of course. I sent a photo of it to my mate, he replied with, very nice, is it old? I said no, it’s the retro look mate. :unhunh:

Now what to play next..

19. tagomago

tagomago Original Wrapper

I have the same amp since a few weeks. Depeche Mode really shines on this amp, I've noticed this too. I guess the synths and production are benefiting of a good amp.

MikeJedi likes this.
  20. Reesdog

Reesdog Forum Resident

Yes, great production for sure, but now I kind of feel like I’m hearing it in the studio, all the nice echo on certain instruments and the overall clarity of the record. I’m impressed..

MikeJedi likes this.
  21. jcn3

jcn3 Forum Resident

the gold 300s have sensitivity of 90 db. my gold 100s were super easy to drive so i would think that plus the 90 db sensitivity would make the 1200 be enough.

rednedtugent likes this.
  22. octavius

octavius Forum Resident

I love yamaha A-S1200 or 2200 but maybe I would try Kinki Studio EX-M1 They have very good reviews even better than Hegel. Sorry I did not find some comparison yamaha 1200 vs Kinki EX-M1...

bluemooze likes this.
  23. aunitedlemon

Feed that Yamaha some rock-n-roll. Soundgarden sounds particularly good through the one I have.

Reesdog and MikeJedi like this.
  24. aunitedlemon

Anything with a good drummer. The way the Yamaha expresses percussion is really satisfying to me.

25. Reesdog

Reesdog Forum Resident

Yeah, great choice! Soundgarden are actually one of my favourite band’s, so yes, they’ll get played very soon.

I played Massive Attack - Mezzanine lastnight and that sounded outstanding..

Icethorn, tagomago and aunitedlemon like this.