KAB TD-1000 Fluid Damper for Technics SL1000R / 1200-1210 GAE, G, & GR

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by snorker, Apr 3, 2018.

1. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

It's worth noting it's more like a slowly growing stain than a drip. What's interesting is when I first noticed it, it was only on half of the top front - it wasn't around the whole trough like you see in the image. I tried to use a Q-tip to it to wipe it "dry" and see if I could remove it. I couldn't, so I just left it, and it continued to slowly grow to what you see there. It didn't drip straight down but rather spread horizontally and then down. Really odd. Anyway, I carefully removed it today and was able to fully wipe it down clean, so it's wasn't stained - it was a super thin layer of the silicon working its way around. Luckily none of it got on the turntable.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    csgreene likes this.
  2. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I will tell you one thing it definitely helps with: records that have skips. I've got a few albums that weren't handled as carefully as I handle albums now, and unfortunately, some of them have a skip or two. On my TT w/out the damper, they all skip. On the TT with the damper, nary a skip. I don't know if it makes stuff SOUND better, because I can't do an A-B comparison, but I do know it helps my arm/cartridge track better and stay on the record better.

If you don't have "rough" records, then maybe you don't need it. The SL-1210GR is pretty good already. Oh, and it supposedly helps with resonance - which, in turn, makes the SL-1210GR a better match for more carts.

Like everything else, if you don't feel you need one, don't get one. It was a cheap upgrade for me, and I think it is the best audiophool thing I've put on the TT - at least as far as improving something noticeably (you'd have to be deaf not to notice the arm/cart not skipping on my Elvis Costello "Get Happy!!" LP.).

recstar24 and matrix-6 like this.
  3. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Good on all accounts!

matrix-6 likes this.
  4. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

If anyone wants to buy mine. DM me with an offer.

5. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Is this the KAB one? Or something else?

6. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Yes, KAB, there is a picture of it just a few posts above, mounted but without the paddle.

7. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

KAB specified the viscosity so they know how stiff it is and they said to fill it half way. If you fill it less than that you're not going to get the amount of damping that it was designed to provide since less silicon will be in contact with the paddle.
    IMHO just follow the instructions.

aunitedlemon likes this.
  8. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

This one: KAB TD-1000 BLACK including the paddle (I had it removed for the pic):

KAB Electro Acoustics http://www.kabusa.com

Comes with the original packaging, hex wrench, and some of the silicone gel. I got most of it back from the trough. If you are a purist you can get some new gel from KAB or elsewhere. Everything is in tiptop shape. A couple of pics:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    punkmusick likes this.
  9. arem

arem Forum Resident

The same thing happens with the damper on my 1210 MK2. It definitely isn't a drip, it's more like a grease stain like you would see on a paper bag or something that very slowly expands out over time. I wipe mine with a cloth every 6 months or so and it hasn't been a problem other than visually, and I've had my damper for years. The damper has made a definite improvement for me in tracking less than pristine records, and an audible improvement with bass heavy material. It's been particularly helpful with playing a lot of the older reggae records I have, some of those old Jamaican pressings really benefit from the extra control.

Big Blue, aunitedlemon and matrix-6 like this.
  10. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

How is the fluid dripping over though? I can’t figure that out without manually flipping it over so it spills over the side. Is it a leak?

formu_la and snorker like this.
  11. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

It's not a leak as it started from the top and it was only 1/3 to 1/2 full, so nothing to leak from. When I filled it I likely got a small amount on top that I wiped off but apparently not enough. The silicone gel has the consistency of thick honey or molasses, so when you get to the end of filling it you have a tiny filament or spiderweb like string going from the trough to the applicator. That string likely got on top causing a channel from the silicone in the trough to the top. It acted like a super slow moving siphon and just spread. At first it was just the upper back of the top front. I tried wiping it with a q-tip but couldn't get the sheen off of it so I left it and it slowly spread. We are talking months not days. I don't know how thin it is, but it's "like" micron thin - more of a sheen than sticky or anything. I was just worried about what might happen when it eventually reaches the bottom and builds up there. I don't need it for my records or stylus, so I opted to just remove it. That and I kind of want to go back to stock/basics and just appreciate my GR for what it is. After removing it was able to wipe the sheen off with a paper towel. It now looks like new.

recstar24 likes this.
  12. snorker

snorker Big Daddy Thread Starter

This thing does work, unquestionably. Whether it’s necessary really depends on the cartridge you want to use, and whether any of your records are warped or damaged and won’t play though.

Does it change the sound? It sounds like it allows the bass to go deeper, but whether I could tell in a blind test I couldn’t say. I do not hear any HF roll-off as one poster here intimated. It sound more like it enhances treble and makes it ring out a bit longer, but maybe I’m just hearing things. :laugh:

I’ve had two of these and neither leaked over the side. I’d chalk it up to spilling some during installation.

13. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

If anyone wants mine for $100 shipped anywhere in the US, let me know. It is like new and there's enough silicone left.

14. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Fortunately, I don't have records in that sort of condition so I never saw the need for it.

luckybaer likes this.
  15. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

That actually does make sense. I never had that issue filling mine, that tiny filament/spiderweb you speak of I simply let it “finish” into the trough, made sure I had not even the slightest residue anywhere near the top or sides, and it’s been peachy clean since day one (almost 2 years now). However I can see that even the tiniest of filaments of silicone could eventually spread.

snorker likes this.
  16. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

I found that drawing the syringe plunger back (as if you were going to fill a syringe), without touching the syringe to the silicone in the trough, after each addition of the silicone to the trough, made for a clean, "filament"-free filling. Not that you care, just sharing for anyone else reading and wondering how to avoid your situation. Sorry it didn't impress you. I still think the KAB damper is a great add-on.

17. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

These are only required for high compliance cartridges (which barely exist today). Certainly not a good idea with a low compliance MC cartridge. Silicon is nasty stuff if spilt so would avoid using one.

18. KeithL

KeithL Forum Resident

A KAB TD-1000 has been on my SL1500C for over 6 months. Everything about the addition is positive; better definition, stronger bass, purer female vocals, good attack, vastly improved handling, smooth cue lever damping. This is with a AT-VM540ML.

bill44 and aunitedlemon like this.
  19. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

For me it was a neutral upgrade. I have a Nagaoka MP-200 and KAB STY40. I only play NM vinyl on my GR. Anything subpar goes into the other room with the Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB.

With the damper things sounded tighter, without it things sound lighter, more open, more lively. But... That could all be my imagination. I only have one Technics SL-1210GR so I couldn't have one running with the damper and one without to properly AB them.

That said, my GR sounded perfectly fine with it installed and it sounds perfectly fine w/o it installed.

punkmusick, Classicrock and JamsOnly like this.
  20. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I actually noticed it on mine, too. Like the other poster, I suspect I got a tiny bit on the top edge that has spread over time. A grease stain, like you say. Not dripping, really not a danger to the turntable as nothing touches the outside of the trough in that area.

I’m not worried about it, either. This is a good reminder for me to take a close look again and give it a wipe, though. Maybe even uninstall, clean the whole thing with alcohol, and reinstall. All worth it, IMO, given the sonic benefits.

aunitedlemon and snorker like this.
  21. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

It came off pretty easily with just a paper towel. I wouldn't apply pressure while it was on the turntable though. And of course mine spread to the back so...

Big Blue likes this.
  22. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

So a pointless waste of money?

Classicrock likes this.
  23. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

Depends on your level of OCD. ;)

Classicrock likes this.
  24. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

:D I feel ya, bud!

Classicrock and matrix-6 like this.
  25. missan

missan Forum Resident

A fluid damper isn't perfect, but it's much more perfect using one, than not using one.

snorker likes this.