Unfunny Comedies?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by driverdrummer, Jul 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

Sine you mentioned a sitcom, I'll also throw in Friends. Watched a few episodes with my wife years ago and asked her "isn't this supposed to be a comedy?" :laugh:

Scowl, GMfan87', Drifter and 7 others like this.
  2. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

I had no idea about their extracurricular activities, so it's great to see they're enjoying the fruits of diversification. Both adopted accents for their characters, so it must be a bit of a drag speaking in their non-normal voices for these activities - although the $$$ would make it worthwhile.

3. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Heathen!

DME1061 likes this.
  4. '05Train

'05Train Crashin' & Flyin' & Livin' & Dyin'

Friends showed promise its first season, then became unbearably awful.

5. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Burt Reynolds is a great actor, but this was just a really terrible movie.

Dave112 and All Down The Line like this.
  6. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

King of Comedy has dark comedy elements. Agreed it's not really a fit for this thread.

Curveboy and Moshe like this.
  7. clayton

clayton Senior Member

Ishtar
    Funny Farm
    Man of the House
    Neighbors
    Dr. Detroit

8. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Blockers.

OK, I admit I laughed during the vomit scene.

9. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Agree.
    Same for Neighbors.
    It wasn't a laugh out loud type of comedy.
    Great movie.

Lightworker likes this.
  10. Randall DeBouvre

Randall DeBouvre forum resident

I thought Fletch was pretty good, too.

Hyacinth House and musicfan37 like this.
  11. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Nobodies mentioned Lenny Henry yet, the only two funny things he ever did were marrying Dawn French and appearing on The Black & White Minstrel Show (and that's not a joke!)

Andy Saunders and mradmack like this.
  12. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

If the first episode is anything to go by then I'll vote for Ted Lasso. I couldn't believe how offensively stupid and boring it was.

13. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Anything with Will Farrell

Mother, goodiesguy, zenarus and 7 others like this.
  14. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I haven't been through all 44 pages but allow me to mention:

Two Broke Girls
    Hey Dad
    Kath & Kim (US version)
    Friends

Drifter and Lightworker like this.
  15. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

The Wedding Singer is all right, mainly thanks to Drew Barrymore's charm.

gitters and musicfan37 like this.
  16. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Virtually anything featuring Tina Fey. She even brought down the 'laugh level' when she appeared on
    the otherwise hilarious Parks and Recreation.

goodiesguy likes this.
  17. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

I dunno...he was always funny on Xena Warrior Princess
    and his post-punk band in New Zealand was mega-cool.

[​IMG]

18. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

I watched "Elvira's Haunted Hills" (2001) last night... I think I laughed once.

19. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

I found the Ghostbusters remake to be a self impressed trainwreak of wokeness. The filmakers deserved the scorn.

Lightworker, goodiesguy and formu_la like this.
  20. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Hyper Doll - A mid-1990s anime.

I guess it was supposed to be funny, but I found nothing about it to be funny. While watching its two episodes (I bought it on laserdisc), I don't think that I laughed once. The main characters were dull and uninteresting, the English voice acting just didn't work, the animation was basically functional, and the story was basically "blah" for me with much of it being things I'd already seen in other (better) anime. I basically watched it twice (I watched it again to see if was better on the second watching...it wasn't) and then put it away, never to be watched again.

21. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

The Hangover-overrated and unfunny. Huge waste of time.

Hyacinth House likes this.
  22. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I thought Blind Date was pretty funny at the time. I especially enjoyed the "James Brown Car Alarm" gag in the movie.

An example of a remake that I think is better than the original is D. O. A. While the original was good, the 1988 remake took the basic premise (a murdered man seeks out his killer) and took it in a different direction.

I think a factor in why so many remakes are being done is that it is getting more difficult to make something original because it ends up being too close to something that already exists.

Although it might seems strange but an example of this is the animated TV series The New Adventures Of Pinocchio (made by company that eventually became Rankin-Bass and did the stop motion Christmas specials). The makers of the series were very careful to avoid doing anything that is took close to the Disney version of the story (such as Pinocchio looking very different from the Disney version).

In the book Jump The Shark by Jon Hein, he makes a comment that the gist of it was that when it comes about Robert De Niro if Martin Scorsese is not around, watch out.

I agree. An example of this is the 1960s Italian comedy team Ciccio & Franco. From what I've read, they were very popular in Italy but apparently their humor didn't translate well beyond that.

An opposite example is the character of The Pink Panther. Because he generally didn't speak (he only spoke in two of the original shorts and never spoke again in the original series), he was able to be enjoyed by international audiences since there was no language barrier.

The only place where I don't see John C. Reilly when he's a character is in the movie Wreck-It Ralph. He comes across perfectly as the bad guy who isn't really bad but its just his job. He came across as a sympathetic character in a role which, in other hands, might not have worked.

23. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

24. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

it was a remake, original was a French movie called "Les Compères" (1983) with Gerard Depardieu and Pierre Richard directed by Francis Veber. I think it's a fun premise for a movie :)

25. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

that's pretty much what I thought when I saw the poster's comment. I only saw parts of that movie and I thought it was ok

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.