Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

If I'm reading a cryptic email from Australia Post correctly my Orpheus box from the UK should arrive tomorrow - looking forward to it.

dale 88, Åke Bergvall and George P like this.
  2. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I am playing this CD from the Decca box set devoted to mono recordings. Violinist is Alfredo Campoli, Eric Gritton, piano. Edward von Beinum conducts the London Philharmonic Orchestra. 1954 recordings.[​IMG]

3. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now enjoying this set. I adore Chopin's Nocturnes.

Martinu, layman, 5-String and 4 others like this.
  4. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Nice. More music I have yet to listen to, but will get there. I have a 2-CD Pollini set recorded in 2005.

Wes H and George P like this.
  5. Mild Mavis

Mild Mavis Forum Resident

A lady who really could play a bit. I assume she's retired now.

TonyACT likes this.
  6. Daedalus

Her performances are among my favorite ones. My Yamaha A-S3000 revealed the shortcomings of the recorded quality a few years ago, but they are still very good sound.

Martinu and TonyACT like this.
  7. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

From the newly-arrived 55 CD Orpheus Chamber Orchestra set; my 18th version, so a good comparison CD for me:

[​IMG]

I like the playing and sound on this one.

McLover, 5-String and Daedalus like this.
  8. George P

[​IMG]

Speaking of the Orpheus Orchestra, now enjoying this great CD set.

Due to having a lot of the CDs contained within already, I opted out of the recent big box. This happened with recent big Arrau, Walter and Barbirolli sets as well.

9. George P

At first I found the sound to be too reverberant and her interpretations to be too big and bold for me, but over time they have grown on me. Now, I like having her set as one of my alternates, along with Weissenberg, Smeterlin and Freire. My favorites in the Chopin Nocturnes are Arrau, Moravec, Ciccolini and Wasowski.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    Martinu, Bevok, TonyACT and 2 others like this.
  10. Daedalus

I have been listening to and enjoying a 2 CD set of Beethoven’s opera, “Fidelio”. I am playing it in the CD player in my vehicle. This version is a 1957 recording of performance at the Bolshoi Theatre. Vishnevskaya, Ivanov, Nelepp and Shchegolkov. Conducted by the incomparable Alexander Melik-Pasheyev. I would love to add an Lp box of this performance to my collection but the only one I have seen so far is prohibitive in cost and only available in Russia-so it will take forever to get to the USA.

11. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

After a recommendation from @George P, I managed to find a seller on Discogs who had a mint/sealed copy of this Rachmaninoff LP of piano works performed by Andrei Gavrilov.

I've played it three times this afternoon and it is nothing short of fabulous -- the performance and recording!

Recorded by EMI in the Moscow Conservatoire, in association with Melodiya / DMM mastered & pressed by Teldec (Germany) / Gold-stamped "Promotional" copy.

[​IMG]

Gavrilov's performance of familiar Prelude in G minor (Op. 23, No. 5) is absolutely explosive and had me sitting up in awe. There are other powerful moments among the many dynamic pieces here, but that one really stood out. I thought his take on the Prelude in F sharp minor, Op. 23 No. 1, was a little short on poetry, but still an effective reading. On repeated hearings I like it even better. There is certainly no shortage of poetry in his playing of the Élégie in E flat minor, Op. 3 No. 1, where Gavrilov brings out all of the beauty, as well as the dark intensity that I feel Rachmaninoff intended for it.

And to find this for a mere $5, sealed since manufacturing in 1984... well, it was most gratifying to be the first to drop a stylus into the vinyl grooves that have laid silent for 37 years. :love:

Thanks, George! :wave:

McLover, Mild Mavis, layman and 4 others like this.
  12. George P

My pleasure, Wes! :wave:

Glad you enjoyed it and coukd find a cheap copy.

Wes H and TonyACT like this.
  13. Daedalus

I attended a concert featuring Gavrilov as a soloist performed in Worcester a few years ago. Rachmaninoff 3rd piano concerto.

TonyACT and Wes H like this.
  14. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying more Nocturnes, this time from Cortot. Sure wish he'd recorded more than 6 of them.

Bevok, Daedalus, TonyACT and 2 others like this.
  15. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Listening to English String Music-Barbirolli. A fine compilation.
    [​IMG]

Martinu, Ed Casey, TonyACT and 3 others like this.
  16. George P

His Elgar is excellent!

TonyACT likes this.
  17. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I've been enjoying this 6-LP set. Great playing and sound.

[​IMG]

Bevok, layman, Daedalus and 3 others like this.
  18. Rose River Bear

Speaking of Jochum, after listening for a week or so to many versions, I have finally settled on my favorite Enigma Variations.
    Jochum-LSO
    [​IMG]

Nipper, Ed Casey, Bevok and 5 others like this.
  19. Rose River Bear

Awesome find. The CD I have contains the album and a "filler" Gaspard by Ravel which is fine as well but not my favorite of the piece.
    [​IMG]

Wes H, Daedalus and TonyACT like this.
  20. George P

Great CD. I have it and the original CD of the Rachmaninov material. It has the same cover as Wes's LP.

A shame Gavrilov hasn't recorded more. Some of what he did record, like the Rachmaninoff solo stuff and the Chopin Etudes on the same label is spectacular.

Daedalus and TonyACT like this.
  21. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

This is a wonderful LP, too. As I've mentioned either here or in the "other forum," his playing has taken a shocking downturn in the last decade or so, but he was in his prime here:

[​IMG]

and here:

[​IMG]

McLover, Mild Mavis, Wes H and 4 others like this.
  22. Rose River Bear

I can't say I love everything I have by him but his Prokofiev First Piano Concerto is my favorite by anyone.
    [​IMG]

Mild Mavis, Wes H, layman and 3 others like this.
  23. Rose River Bear

I am fairly certain that Rach 3 has not been issued on CD. I am always on the lookout for it.

McLover likes this.
  24. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

No turntable?

25. Rose River Bear

I made the decision to sell off all of my vinyl and equipment about 6 years ago. Mostly due to having to move often. When I finally get grounded, I may consider getting a moderately priced turntable and some LPs that I miss.

Martinu, Mild Mavis and TonyACT like this.