Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Watch his series vs Okada. None of those matches were the same and each one built on the other using aspects of the previous to tell the story of the next one.

tonyc and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i've seen them. clearly corny hasn't and he's going to credit the entire pace/flow/style of tonights match to danielson and calling it all and omega just going along with what he was told

3. Matthew Tate

i also want to say several other good things. most matches tonight didn't start with just trading forums. i think the cody vs black match also played out the way it should have to have the right guy win but the other guy not look like a weak goof either. nice FTR also is on tv more. they are listening for sure to improve things

4. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

My opinion is they talked/walked through the match backstage. I didn't see any obvious audibles. Brian can work with anyone, so thats a given. Omega works an adjusted Japanese/lucha style and Brian can make that look like a million bucks. And he doesn't need to "lead the match" to do it. I have no doubt that Omega can handle not being in the lead in any case.
    Frankly I'm not a fan of his either but he IS a pro respected by people I respect so there it is.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Matthew Tate

i'm not saying danielson didn't lead the match . i respect corny. just saying if omega worked with another talent the level of danielson he can have those matches. omega has had some great matches in AEW.

JamieC likes this.
  6. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

That would never happen, he would have a whole bunch of silly excuses and demands set for Tony Khan to even consider joining (The first one would be to remove the EVP's and probably half the entire roster including commentary lol). I think his only legitimate excuse is the one he keeps stating, that he is 60 and cannot take the bumps and the stress anymore. I get that and completely respect the reason, if you are a manager you need to be active and willing to take the odd bump and I don't think Cornette is willing to do that anymore.

In all honesty I think he is perfect in his current role (behind the podcast mic). The guy goes off the rails all the time but he does get the business and it would be foolish for AEW to disregard some of his criticisms as a professional viewer. Week by week they seem to be listening but of course they are going to disagree with some of Corny's thoughts because they want to have their own identity in the business and that's where the new generation/old hat debate comes into play. It will be interesting to hear about how AEW adapts and changes over the next 6 months to a year from now, who knows maybe Corny will be consistently giving them two thumbs up and focus all of his vitriol towards the WWE.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

The match ended in a time limit draw? There's the fire for Corny to hate on the match. They already stated that they wanted to see Danielson go over Omega for a Non-Title Match and to have the feud continue with Danielson challenging Omega for the belt and losing.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Why is there always goofy booking involved with Cody? I mean the whole feud started with Cody implying that he was going to retire... really? Then the weird spot where Arn fell off the apron (that might have been legit) and then when Black was lying on the ground I commented to my son "get ready for the green mist" as a joke... not thinking they would even go there, but they did... just strange. But I did like the little spot with Brandy and Black.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Matthew Tate

just me but I was happy with the draw. that way Danielson can ask for a rematch because he didn't lose and omega can try and deny a rematch because he wasn't beaten.

10. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Seriously? When was the last time you saw a major main event end in a TLD? For a first encounter? That MADE the audience want more? Who does broadways anymore?
    It is so old school its silly.
    I could keep this going for a year from here, depending on how chickens***t a heel to make twinkletoes.

JCRW and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. WarEagleRK

It was the perfect booking for the match. Both guys looked strong, it builds anticipation for the rematch and it also makes Omega even more of a heel when he tells Danielson that he just doesn't have the W-L record to be in line for a title match and Danielson will have to roll off some wins by the time November rolls around if that is their PPV direction for that show.

However seriously don't call him "twinkletoes", that is such a derogatory slur that Cornette call him based on his opinion of his manliness.

noname74 and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. WarEagleRK

The next PPV is in November. That gives them 7 or 8 weeks of TV to have Danielson beat everyone he faces and be something like 7-0-1 heading into the title match if they are going with that match for the November PPV.

I just can't see them hating this match, but it is Cornette and it is an Omega match with Cornette reviewing it.

JCRW and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. WarEagleRK

Oh, I didn't think for one second he was going to show up. I was just discussing the irony of it being held at a tennis stadium and it would be the perfect show if he was ever going to return.

No matter what Cornette says tearing them apart, Tony Khan is a fan of his and always puts him over.

Matthew Tate and JCRW like this.
  14. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I like the first part as it describes a lot of his work. The second half is un-necessary.

15. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

If they go in this direction I think all is well. Danielson has to win at least a few matches to make himself worthy enough to challenge for the belt. Believe me, I hate it when the promotions just automatically put someone at the top to challenge for a title (like we just saw with Cena vs Reigns at Summerslam). At the same time I hate it when they don't give someone with credentials as big as Danielson a few legitimate wins before taking a significant loss to move onwards with his storylines. Just ends up making him look like a jobber.

16. WarEagleRK

Other than the Dustin match, I rarely like Cody's matches. He's a great promo, but his matches are almost always an overbooked self indulgent mess. He's a babyface, but he always has interference. Obviously last night Arn got up on the wrong side of the ring apron and instead of adapting Cody had him move to the side he wanted for the bump they were going to take and then Arn accidentally falls. So instead of calling an audible again, he has Arn take a second bump. At least the match didn't go through the crowd.

I was ringside for the Clash of Champions in June of 1991 and one of the matches was Lex Luger vs The Great Muta, I got to see the ringside Japanese photographer hand Muta the mist right before he used it. It was a pretty clever way to get it to him.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

They could always whisper a rumor of Cornette's presence, that will sell out the show in minutes. :D

I think Khan is playing things really smart. He has said nice words about Corny and has been following through on the little things being pointed out without pulling a Jericho/Omega style bashing about it. He is certainly no Vince McMahon in the personality department and that's a refreshing thing, no wonder why everyone is heading over to AEW.

905 and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

I was getting Bret/Austin vibes from the crowd during the Cody match... he was getting booed pretty loudly and Black was getting a lot of cheers.

Matthew Tate and WarEagleRK like this.
  19. WarEagleRK

I think Omega is justified in any bashing of Cornette that he wants to do since Cornette has made it so personal with him. Weird how it all starting over Omega cancelling a ROH booking due to an ankle injury. Omega was living in Japan at the time and he came to ringside for a show that night to second someone and Cornette heard that he worked the show and no matter how many times people told him that Omega didn't take a single bump, he wouldn't change his stance. Then he just built up everything Omega did after that as a negative. It's one thing to not like a guy's style in the ring but Cornette made it so personal with Omega and the Bucks that if they want to rip into him every time they say something they are justified in my book. The Bucks more so than Omega since Cornette cost them ROH bookings and money because he didn't think they were worth flying in. Honestly they rarely bring him up, but when they do it becomes a 30 minute segment on Cornette's show because he knows that's what the cult wants to hear.

I'm not sure what Jericho's issue with him is, it's Jericho's fault the whole Dairy Queen incident happened nearly 30 years ago.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. WarEagleRK

Cody is a heel playing a babyface. From the overly elaborate entrance, to having Arn as his manager and having his wife interfere in his matches. I think his over the top overly dramatic booking starts to turn the fans a lot. Then he cuts a promo and wins them back. There might come a day where that doesn't happen. Dusty in 1987/1988 Crockett had the fans at the TBS studio turn on him to the point that most of Dusty's promos started being done back stage and not in front of the crowd.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

From that whole scenario with Omega, I would understand why he would lash out at Cornette. But I also think Tony Khan intervened the last time Omega made a statement about Cornette's podcast listeners, he was pretty quick to retract his statement and tried issuing a brief positive comment about respecting Cornette.

With Jericho the guy seems to hate any forms of criticism put his way and is of the belief that he has never had a bad match in his career. Him and Corny sure seemed to get along during the WWF days but that is no more. Of course Cornette has made it more personal with Jericho's current political stance (not going to delve into that one), again it shows that Corny is always going to find a way to hate someone even if it was something so minuscule to start a grudge. These are the times when I wish Jericho would take a break to go out and tour with Fozzy and Cornette go talk about wrestling history. A Win-Win in that scenario.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. WarEagleRK

Agree on both.

Jericho had to work 5 weeks in a row on TV and he really struggled with that. This past year he's lost a big step and is so much slower in the ring. I think the AEW schedule of only one match or so a week (if that) has hurt him, where it will help guys like Danielson who go all out then get some rest.

Matthew Tate and JCRW like this.
  23. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Agreed, Jericho unfortunately is not getting any younger and has refused to adapt his style to fit his current age and condition. He could certainly benefit moving into a part time legend schedule if he wants to keep going a few more years. If he is adamant on continuing to work full time he will need to make drastic changes to be able to keep up and prevent injuries from rack mounting him.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. youraveragevinylcollector

youraveragevinylcollector Forum Resident

He'll just keep having a little bit of the bubbly if the injuries stack up too much. I haven't watched AEW due to not having cable, but I am sure he needs to change his style now, or do a TV 1-2 times/PPV only schedule. If even the best wrestlers had to adapt as they got older, Jericho needs to watch what he does.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. WarEagleRK

That time Omega vs Danielson vs Seth Rollins happened in ROH...

Matthew Tate and MikeInFla like this.