Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I ditched well over 1000 LPs back when it looked as if CDs were going to replace them. One of the biggest mistakes of my life--expensive, too! The out of print ones are ridiculously expensive these days.

McLover, Wes H, Mild Mavis and 2 others like this.
  2. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Found a copy of this cd box. Very hard to find now. Only in print for a short time I think. Now only available as files. I’ve enjoyed their versions of Arnie’s String Qts.

Diotima Quartet - Schoenberg and Chums Quartets

[​IMG]

TonyACT and JuniorMaineGuide like this.
  3. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

I need to pull that one out again. I also like their Bartók set and their Simaku disc on BIS.

mr.datsun and TonyACT like this.
  4. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I have this LP box set. Excellent.

McLover, TonyACT and Bachtoven like this.
  5. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Listening to this fine box set.
    Bernstein-The Americans
    [​IMG]

McLover, Wes H, TonyACT and 1 other person like this.
  6. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Just ordered, Four Seasons #19 included :agree::

[​IMG]

Martinu, Bevok, Eigenvector and 3 others like this.
  7. Rose River Bear

Her Bartok VCs are great. Not familiar with some of the others though.

TonyACT likes this.
  8. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Nice, one of the Bartok concertos is in the box. The Grammophone magazine review of her Four Seasons also strongly recommended it (in an over-filled field). I like boxes with DVDs as well.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  9. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I have not heard their Bartok, i should definitely try it. For me the Takacs has been hard to beat, and I have many Bartok recordings.

JuniorMaineGuide likes this.
  10. Mild Mavis

Mild Mavis Forum Resident

She's one of my first stops for violin works.

Rose River Bear, Daedalus and TonyACT like this.
  11. Daedalus

Karajan. From the 1960s section of the boat anchor box. Sounds great. I have not taken time to study Bruckner but I always seem to enjoy the symphonies. This 9th is more melodically beautiful and less melodically quirky than some of his work-does that make sense to those of you in the know, so to speak?[​IMG]

TonyACT, Bachtoven and George P like this.
  12. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

These are very good performances, but as in every version of the 5th Concerto that I've heard, the harpsichord soloist could be a bit more prominent in the mix.

[​IMG]

13. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Wonderful transcriptions, playing, and sound.

[​IMG]

14. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Agree on the ninth, but I'm still getting to know Bruckner. I have Karajan's late 70s - early 80s DG cycle which I like; the only other 'cycle' I have is by a range of conductors in the shiny gold Decca Vienna Philharmonic box.

Mild Mavis and Daedalus like this.
  15. Rose River Bear

Interesting. The player on the right appears to have a guitar with a shorter scale than usual.
    Maybe it is the photo.
    I have been looking into guitars with shorter scales to try to get back into classical guitar due to hand problems.
    I will order this disc.

Bachtoven and TonyACT like this.
  16. Rose River Bear

Listening to-Karajan/Webern
    [​IMG]

17. Rose River Bear

That is a great 9th IMO. His 8th later on is really fine IMO.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  18. Rose River Bear

Speaking of Bruckner, I tried to connect to the Celi recording again of the 4th but I just can't seem to enjoy it like so many others can. Sorry. Are any of his other Bruckner recordings closer to the tempi of the composer?
    [​IMG]

Daedalus likes this.
  19. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure it's the photo. They have also recorded Suites 1-3--it's equally good.

I took some time off and thought about giving up guitar altogether due to arthritis in my left thumb joint, but it's in my DNA and I can't give it up! I'm finding that some therapy techniques help. (A TENS unit, a squeeze ball, and some exercises.)

Rose River Bear and TonyACT like this.
  20. Rose River Bear

I don't have a lot of classical guitar CDs and I need to look into more. What do you think of John Williams as far a playing goes? I have this CD of his.

[​IMG]

Wes H and TonyACT like this.
  21. Bevok

Bevok Forum Resident

Its funny, I listened to this a few days ago (nice recording) having not listened to the Brandenburgs for some time, that afternoon this release came up on a mix I was listening to:

Bach: The Brandenburg Concertos by il Gusto Barocco & Jörg Halubek
    [​IMG]

Considering the ensemble is lead by a harpsichordist I think this one has the harpsicord slightly more subdued in the mix! I think the interplay between the harpsichord and the other instruments through the movement is portrayed quite nicely for me though but that's to taste I suppose. I do love the harpsichord though!

I read a review of the Barocco recording here which referenced this interesting discussion of the challenges of interpreting the Brandenburg Concertos, along with some of the background.

Mild Mavis, TonyACT and Bachtoven like this.
  22. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

He's a master! I suggest his Bach Lute Suites, Virtuoso Variations, Baroque album, and Barrios.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Naxos has a massive collection of great guitar recordings...many by young competition winners. Do you subscribe to any streaming services? That's a great way to sample before you buy!

McLover, Bevok, Daedalus and 3 others like this.
  23. Mild Mavis

Mild Mavis Forum Resident

I don't know why but the sound of the harpsichord sets my nerves jangling so I do avoid it. The harpsichord on Isola Bella in Lake Maggiore, Italy is one of the most beautiful instruments I've ever seen.

Bevok, Daedalus and TonyACT like this.
  24. Daedalus

I am up to CD38 from the 1960s section of the Karajan box as I continue my listening journey through this set. Stately performance in lush sound.[​IMG]

Nipper, McLover, Bevok and 4 others like this.
  25. Daedalus

And this well known delightful recording:[​IMG]