Anything Phil Collins

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mazanahmed, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

2. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

3. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

Wot Gorilla? enough said

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  4. ries

ries Forum Resident

5. ironbutterfly

ironbutterfly Listening to marky mark in mono

I actually blame Peter
    He did leave and was the creative force behind the band

Rufus rag likes this.
  6. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Tony Banks, Phil Collins and Mike Ruherford ruined Genesis, but only Phil gets the blame...

joy stinson and Rufus rag like this.
  7. Jwag1

Jwag1 Forum Resident

I can't really get into Phil's stuff. He's a great drummer. I liked him in Genesis for the most part, even about 70 percent of their 80s stuff. But I never listened to any of his solo work except the radio hits. I find he sounds too generic, sappy and well 80s. But again, I've never really listened to his solo stuff. Maybe I will change that soon and come back with a different opinion.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  8. stefjnl

stefjnl Forum Resident

But Seriously must've been one of the first albums ive ever, on cassette. wasn't even in high school yet I think. Still think it's a stellar album. Overproduced yes, but the songwriting on it is tremendous. Father And Son, Do You Remember, Find A Way to My Heart. I dunno, a lot of people probably think they're cheesy, but they always seem to move me

GMfan87', ironbutterfly and Ryan Lux like this.
  9. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I' have dug his first four solo records ever since they were new. Some real gems on those albums.

10. Dan Loretangeli

Dan Loretangeli Forum Resident

Phil is one of my top three favorite drummers, and fronted my favorite era of Genesis from 1976-82. I was introduced to the band in '76 and that era created some amazing music. I was hooked! I love the PG era material, but the Phil led line-up it did it better live, as they were more accomplished players by then. The band's '77 version of Supper's Ready (with both Chester and Phil on drums) crushes the original. Same for Firth Of Fifth and Cinema Show. Amazingly heavy stuff!

I continued to follow Phil through the 80's with Genesis and through his other projects (especially his stint with Robert Plant) but lost interest after Both Sides.

He'll always be one of my all time favorite musicians. I'm going to see him with Genesis this tour as my last hurrah seeing this artist. It will be bittersweet.

DanLore

11. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

joy stinson and GMfan87' like this.
  12. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

Such a dumb comment.

13. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

He'll also ruin this reunion tour! Wait for the reviews as proof!

14. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I just think he is GREAT. I don’t care if he was everywhere in the 80s, i was too young to notice. Such a multitalented guy. From Brand-X to great love songs, and acting. Remarkable.

rfkavanagh, DiabloG, GnuHigh and 2 others like this.
  15. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Did you watch the video I linked to? Watch it all and listen to the brief clip of him singing in the last few seconds. I'm sure there will be fans who will lap this up, but sadly it seems to me he's left it too late. I don't mean to upset anyone, and of course it's up to him and the band.

Rufus rag likes this.
  16. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

On the contrary he actually saved Genesis.
    The band would have stopped existing in 1975 if it wasn't for him taking over the lead vocal front man duties.
    (And, cherry on the cake, the band only got really successful during the Phil years).

And yes I much prefer the Peter years myself, but facts are facts.

17. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Your probably right!

18. hollywoodswag

hollywoodswag Forum Resident

I feel like I'm having to work to avoid Phil Collins burnout right now, but not for bad reasons. I was really getting into all his solo stuff earlier this year and now I've been diving into his tenure as the lead singer of Genesis, and the wealth of excellent material has resulted in me adding quite a bunch of albums to my list of favorites but also risking playing them to death.

I get that the accessibility/pop sensibilities of all of that music could be offputting (especially to Genesis fans used to the prog years, although it seems like Phil gets most of the blame in spite of the fact that most of that music was written collectively), but from my end, all that Genesis/solo material showed an exceptional blend of the pop and rock genres that was almost unreplicated. Sure, some (maybe a lot) of it has a dated feel, but it's so incredible that I don't mind it.

In trying to get a lot of variety in my listening for the year, I've not given Testify or The Essential Going Back from his solo stuff and Wind and Wuthering from the Genesis years, but I've found a lot of new discoveries that have placed Phil Collins, and Genesis under his tenure especially, among my favorite artists.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  19. Chemically altered

If you were drowning, I would not lend a hand...

20. AL01

AL01 Eh?

Overproduced?

Listen to Up by Peter Gabriel...

Now that thing is the epitome of overproduction.

I enjoy Collin's first four solo albums, but find that No Jacket Required has aged the most.

The rest (of the four) aged well and don't really reek of the '80s (IMO).

21. Chemically altered

22. Grahamstuartcanada

Grahamstuartcanada We play two kinds of music “new” and “wave”

why, is my question... i prefer phil to peter at least in genesis terms. i like the direction they went post pg departure and reall only listen to duke abacab 3 sides studio and shapes stuff.
    i am sure many peter green fans hate what fleetwood mac became, but they had more success and fans after p green than before... i expect genesis post their own pg can say the same

ARK, joy stinson and Efus like this.
  23. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

I can't answer that. I don't think they ruined the band, actually, I was just answering the other dude who said "Phil ruined Genesis".
    Imo, the band was never "ruined", but if someone did that, then it wasn't just Phil. My point is that he was never the band's leader.

DiabloG and Grahamstuartcanada like this.
  24. Schu

Schu But Mama, that's where the fun is . . .

Genesis evolved with the times and did it with more modern production, more pop oriented melodies, and more arena oriented rock. If they hadn't evolved they probably would have disappeared. Don't blame Phil, it was a group effort. I think they did it with style and were very successful in the process.

ARK, joy stinson and DiabloG like this.
  25. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Fantastic drummer, good vocalist. The perfect front man for the Latter-Day Genesis.

Generally, only an adequate songwriter though.

Rufus rag likes this.