Denafrips Dacs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bever70, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I had to give up using a Windows laptop with my Chord DAC—DSD and even 192 kHz PCM were distorted and unlistenable. I plug in my MacBook Pro and I’m in audio nirvana!

Sedwards likes this.
  2. Sedwards

Sedwards Senior Member

I did a clean install of windows (for the 3rd time) using the microsoft site instead of the start up stick I created, reinstalled jriver and the Denafrips driver and (fingers crossed) everything seems to working wonderfully - playing 24 bits and DSD's through ASIO without any issues! SO seems problem solved. Thanks, everyone.

timind, Synthfreek, bever70 and 2 others like this.
  3. DogDad

DogDad Well-Known Member

I have the Ares II (post in this thread); I've been using OS Slow since I've had it, as the majority of people seem to prefer it, as do the reviews I've seen.

Last night however, I switched to NOS, just out of curiosity, as I've been burning in a new amp (Naim Nait 5si), and things were sounding a little "forced". I've got around 300hrs on this amp now, so it should be past the initial burn in period where you usually witness the frequent dramatic ups and downs in various aspects of presentation.

In OS, even mellow music sounded, (I'm no good at describing these things) well, too forced, aspects/instrumentation was pushed too hard, making songs lose cohesiveness. Now, I'm well aware of Naim's signature sound and PRaT, which I love, but the Ares II, in OS mode seemed to be exaggerating this to the point where it was not relaxing or pleasurable.

So, as above, I switched the Ares II to NOS and it was like a "ahhhh, that's more like it"

Everything just dropped back to what I was wanting; no aspect of a track is over-exaggerated/pronounced, (recording and mastering aside). For me personally, the Areas II is now really proving its worth again.

Has anyone else switched to NOS on the Areas II? If course, my experience is probably system related due the Naim, but I was curious to see, generally, what other owners' experience was, and preferences for NOS or OS.

Thanks for reading

bhazen likes this.
  4. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

No but I tired a NAIM amp and it was too ‘ tight’ so I understand why you would want a more relaxed source

kiddo4 and DogDad like this.
  5. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head! Thread Starter

No Naim here, but I switched to NOS a few months ago. Nothing to do with 'tight' or 'forced' sonics. All to do with better tone, timbre of NOS and a soundstage more to my liking (front seat vs. halfway). I countered the small (but important for me) loss of high freq details with a very small boost of the hi freq tone control on my preamp. All is well in my universe.

DogDad likes this.
  6. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I'm guessing here, but since the RtoR dac has to break in, it makes me wonder if you only use oversampling does the field of reistors lie dormant?
    Maybe you just need to leave it in NOS mode for an extended period of time, IDK.
    I have a Pontus and leave it in NOS mode for going on two years now and it sounds grand.

7. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

NOS in the Denafrips DACs isn’t really NOS. It’s still up sampling but a diff filter.

8. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I've read that that is still debatable, IDK.

9. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Where?
    Legit question. Because measurements show that it is an incisive filter or something like that.

10. Tony C.

Tony C. Forum Resident

I don't see how one can watch this video and claim that it is debatable...

Tone? likes this.
  11. realgone

realgone Forum Resident

I recall a poll on Facebook Denafrips page about NOS vs OS some time ago. It seems more users chose NOS by a comfortable margin. Professional reviewers tend to prefer OS. But in the end, whatever makes music for you is what is important.

bever70, DogDad and Tone? like this.
  12. DogDad

DogDad Well-Known Member

That's an interesting poll. I agree with you, whatever works for your system and your ears. I wonder why most reviewers prefer OS, but regular users prefer NOS; was there a clear, general reason why do you know?

Thanks for that

13. PoetryOnPlastic

PoetryOnPlastic Forum Reedmaker

For my Ares II review, I just found NOS a little sleepy. Now, that was back when I had a 90s McIntosh setup, so it may have been a synergy thing. I did not find NOS sleepy on the Pontus, in fact I found it hard to distinguish from OS Slow unless I was paying close attention. No idea why that may be.

bever70 and RockAddict like this.
  14. realgone

realgone Forum Resident

I don't know why that is the case. I can only speculcate that reviewers are accustomed to equipment that is usually very detailed, have strong transient performance and prat with more frequency extension at the top. Those are the areas I feel the NOS differs from OS the most. As the member above mentioned, the Pontus indeed has less of a difference between the modes.

bever70 likes this.
  15. effula

effula Forum Resident

NOS sounds best to me with my Ares II. Felt like I was losing too much detail with OS in either mode. I suspect their uber expensive systems are so detailed they like the more relaxed sound OS slow provides. It's all so very system dependent. I also think it depends on the music being played. Thankfully we have different modes to choose from!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    Double E likes this.
  16. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head! Thread Starter

I think everyone would agree here that it's the other way round, with NOS sounding more relaxed and OS having more details?!
    But as long as you found a setting you like, that's what really matters.

basie-fan, DogDad and Helom like this.
  17. effula

effula Forum Resident

Dang, I just re-read the instructions for switching from OS to NOS and had it backwards. I just listened to each again, and my bad. I guess I do prefer OS in my system (so far). However, now I just spent a little more time listening in NOS mode... I have to say that NOS mode does seem to add some body/flesh to vocals and sounds a little more natural. In OS mode the treble is tipped up a bit. On to more listening/judging... Thanks for the pulse check bever70!

basie-fan, Kyhl, Double E and 2 others like this.
  18. moops

moops Senior Member

:thumbsup:

DogDad and bever70 like this.
  19. effula

effula Forum Resident

If you haven't heard this album yet, check it out and change modes with your Denafrips dac. Been using it to try out all the modes. FWIW in the GoldenSound vid posted above he basically says OS sharp is the way to go. Of course, he has a very technical approach to equipment reviews. Not all about measurements, but really dig his channel.

[​IMG]
    Flowers for Vases / Descansos
    Hayley Williams

DogDad and toddrhodes like this.
  20. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I use an Audiolab CD transport so no streaming. I've owned and own Schiit gear for my headphone system and I've always been happy with their customer service and build quality. My Modi multibit gets the most use with my Asgard 3 amp and Focal Clear Pro headphones. I'm thinking about an upgrade to a Bifrost 2 but Ares II has piqued my interest too. I need read more reviews on the Ares before I decide.

21. Helom

Helom Forum member

Anyone happen to be using (or have used) a Denafrips with Ayre gear? I’m considering trying an Ayre preamp and curious about synergy.

displayname likes this.
  22. OC Zed

OC Zed Bludgeon Riffola

I believe Hans Beekhuyzen (Youtube reviewer) has an Ayre amplifier in his reference setup. He's had positive reviews of the Denafrips Terminator. Check out his channel for more details.

rodentdog likes this.
  23. effula

effula Forum Resident

Always interested in Ayre anything. It’s one of those brands that I think you can’t go wrong with. Best of luck Helom!

Helom likes this.
  24. Helom

Helom Forum member

He has their TOTL or near TOTL integrated as I recall. I’ve been curious about this brand for years and I have a hunch it could pair well with the Denafrips character.

25. effula

effula Forum Resident

For anyone curious about Ayre products, this is a must see video interview (part 1 of 2) of Charlie Hansen conducted by Michael Lavorgna…

Helom likes this.