Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. Mild Mavis

Mild Mavis Forum Resident

Reminds me that I have that on vinyl. I'll have to find it and give it a spin.

TonyACT and Daedalus like this.
  2. Mild Mavis

One of the problems of this forum for me, in particular the classical music threads, is that when I see something that looks interesting and I don't know it I want to listen to it. E.G. I like what I know of Richard Strauss (the four last songs being some of the most beautiful music ever written IMO) but I don't know this so now I have to find the time to listen to it which would be fine but it joins a long queue and how to I prioritise. Thanks heavens I'm retired. Or maybe you guys you should stop posting stuff I don't know:D.
    Obviously I don't mean that but there is so much wonderful music that I really do find it difficult.

Nipper, McLover, TonyACT and 2 others like this.
  3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

4. Mild Mavis

I have his recording of Concierto De Aranjuez which I thought was wonderful until I heard Julian Bream's recording with the Chamber Orchestra of Europe conducted by John Eliot Gardner. Williams is an early digital vinyl version, '83 I think, so maybe the sound quality is influencing me on this.

Miles1968 and TonyACT like this.
  5. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

That one is a remake--his recording of it with Ormandy is analog. It's available in two version:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Daedalus, Mild Mavis and TonyACT like this.
  6. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I go thru the same thing!

Mild Mavis and TonyACT like this.
  7. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Originally a Teldec recording, this mostly Fucik disc is excellent, much better than the Neeme Jarvi disc of Fucik compositions.
    Vaclav Neumann
    Czech Philharmonic Orchestra
    Fucik: Entry of the Gladiators; Famous Marches and Waltzes
    Dvorak: Slavonic Rhapsody
    Apex, 2002
    recorded in 1972,1973
    [​IMG]

Daedalus, Mild Mavis and TonyACT like this.
  8. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Good to hear Neumann didn't Fucik it up. [​IMG]

9. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

and my typing skills almost got me banned.:shh:

Mild Mavis, George P and TonyACT like this.
  10. drh

drh Talking Machine

Aah, yes, "The Entry of the Gladiators." The quintessential circus tune. I actually wrote a little piece that briefly discusses it in the larger context of musings about the circus, available here: [Vintage column] On an Overgrown Pathé - [English] The same chestnut is also available on a Mercury recording called "Screamers" (Eastman Wind Ens., Frederick Fennell) to which I refer there as well.

I've not been listening to that one of late, but one other thing has really caught my fancy.

A chaconne, as I suppose I needn't belabor, is, in essence, a set of variations set over a ground bass, which is to say a short figure that endlessly repeats a la a theatrical vamp. I'll confess, I am an absolute sucker for a ground bass, and hence for a good chaconne--and this album

[​IMG]

has what must be "the mother of all chaconnes." The album notes attribute it to Heinrich Ignaz Franz von Biber, one of my favorite composers of the era, although it must be said that attribution is speculative. What is not speculative is that the work in question goes on for 17 mesmerizing minutes--a real ground-bass-fest for those of us susceptible to such things. Great performance, too, by a youngish American ensemble called ACRONYM, with the players turning it into something of a Baroque jam fest. It's taken its place right alongside Buxtehude's sonata BuxWV 273 in B-Flat, which, at least as presented by Reinhard Goebel and the Musica Antiqua Koln crew, long was my undisputed favorite ground bass exemplar. That one, at around 7 minutes (I'm talking about the first mvt. here), albeit with a slow interruption midway, is no slouch, but--17 minutes straight of a single pattern! Eat your heart out, Bolero!

The rest of the CD is good stuff, well played and sung, too, but that chaconne--well, it's the star of the show. Strongly recommended by me!

ACRONYM: The Battle the Bethel & the Ball
    Music of Heinrich Ignaz Franz von Biber (1644-1704)
    Olde Focus Recordings FRC913

Martinu, Daedalus, Mild Mavis and 2 others like this.
  11. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Just purchased, may have to go in the 'guilty pleasures' box :winkgrin::

[​IMG]

5 CDs, I'm buying it mainly for the Puccini and Verdi opera music sans vocals.

12. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Superb playing and sound. Qobuz 24/44.1. He plays a Chris Maene Straight Strung Concert Grand piano--it certainly sounds clear and even. It even has a bonus work: Thoughts on Bach, which Daan Manneke composed for him. I might get the SACD version at some point. For more information about the piano: the Straight Strung Grand Piano (chrismaene.be)

[​IMG]

Mild Mavis, Daedalus and TonyACT like this.
  13. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

A sprawling (88 minutes) but enjoyable work.

[​IMG]

Mild Mavis, Daedalus and TonyACT like this.
  14. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I'm interested in the conductor / composer side of these popular conductors. It's interesting how long it took Mahler's symphonies to be generally accepted; I have Klemperer conducting his own second symphony - will keep the Furtwangler in mind. cpo are an interesting label.

Mild Mavis, Daedalus and Bachtoven like this.
  15. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Excellent playing and sound. I think Fisk gave the harpsichord's left hand parts to the cello, he plays the right hand, and left the violin part intact.

[​IMG]

Daedalus and TonyACT like this.
  16. Daedalus

Black coffee and this:[​IMG]

17. Mild Mavis

I'm a sucker for the Goldbergs so I'll just have to give this a listen.

18. Daedalus

And now( may be one of the best performances available and in great sound): [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  19. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Hmmm...her unusually gentle touch robs most of the pieces of some drama. There's some ravishing playing, of course, but I'm a bit disappointed. Great sound. Qobuz 24/192.

[​IMG]

Bevok likes this.
  20. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Since today is Glenn Gould's birthday, I cannot let these 24 hours slip by without playing his 1955 recording of the Bach Goldberg Variations.

This is the first release from January 3, 1956 --a Columbia 6-eye Mono LP -- which I always play annually on September 25th.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Original recording took place in the Columbia 30th Street Studio, NYC, June 10/14-16, 1955. Gould supplied the album's extensive liner notes, where he wrote:

"We are accustomed to consider at least one of two prerequisites indispensable to an Air for variations, a theme with a melodic curve with veritably entreats ornamentation, or an harmonic basis, stripped to its fundamentals, pregnant with promise and capacity for exhaustive exploitation."

You gotta love it... ! As George Szell said of him: "That nut's a genius!"

Happy Birthday, Glenn!

[​IMG]

TonyACT, Eigenvector, Bevok and 5 others like this.
  21. Daedalus

When I get done with the Eresko Rachmaninoff-this with be next on TT:[​IMG]

Martinu, TonyACT, layman and 3 others like this.
  22. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Definitely some of my favorites in that set. Especially Suisse.

23. Bevok

Bevok Forum Resident

24. Daedalus

Another iconic recording from Karajan.[​IMG]

TonyACT and Bevok like this.
  25. Daedalus

You and Japanese writer Murakami.