Sony- 65" Class BRAVIA XR A80J Series OLED 4K UHD Smart Google TV

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by audiomixer, Sep 25, 2021.

1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

Has anyone seen these televisions yet?
    Or better yet, purchased one?
    I’m ordering one next week. Pretty spectacular display!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    tootull, mikeyt, Alan G. and 2 others like this.
  2. audiomixer

3. audiomixer

Nobody?!?

4. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

5. They are very, very nice. It's similar to the new A90J.

I'm glad you're aboard now! You've picked a good one!

audiomixer and longdist01 like this.
  6. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

Yes! Got the A80CJ (C for Costco) about three months ago. 65”. Went from a recently failed Pioneer Elite Plasma, which I thought was TOTL, to this OLED. The Sony processing is magnificent. Out-of-the-box even. Really pleased.

mikeyt and longdist01 like this.
  7. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Received mine last week, fully calibrated by Value Electronics. Replaced a 2013 Panasonic plasma. The color on this thing is insane!

EVOLVIST and audiomixer like this.
  8. Jacob29

Jacob29 Forum Resident

I own a Sony XBR-X900E Is definitely not in the same class But I've been nothing but happy

Dignan2000 and audiomixer like this.
  9. audiomixer

Lownote30 and longdist01 like this.
  10. analog74

analog74 Forum Resident

Same here and with a couple of the updates along the way, including a recent one, the picture and sound have only improved!

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

They all use the LG OLED panels. Their internal processing is different, but we bypass all of that and just get the set calibrated. Less processing is better.

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

how much?

13. audiomixer

I’ll post the price tomorrow. ;)

Michael likes this.
  14. I have the X900F, and it’s darn close to OLED quality. You really can’t go wrong with the Sony smart 4k’s.

seacliffe301, longdist01 and Jacob29 like this.
  15. Michael

thanks... ; )

longdist01 likes this.
  16. Yeah, I got my 77" LG C1 from Value Electronics. Calibrated by D-Nice, who I presume did yours, as well. My C1 sings! I almost got the A90J, but really, both TVs are super fine. Anything else is just picking nits (get it?) :)

IanL likes this.
  17. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

Please tell us your feelings after set-up!

18. audiomixer

The price I got it for was $1799.99 at Costco Online; same price as in the store. The sale started today and is going through the 24th of October. This is $500 less than their already lowest price.
    It will be replacing a 16 year old Sony SXRD XBR1 that is finally showing signs of an aging optical block; not bad under normal viewing, but rears it ugly head in blacks and grayscale.
    I have been keeping a close eye on this television. The reviews give it high marks over the comparable LG OLED for watching movies, TV shows and sports. The LG "bests" it for gaming, however. That said, the Sony gamma color palate is more to my taste and I am not a gamer. I don't think the price for this set will go any lower than this over the holiday season and Sony discounts them now before the holiday rush. The bonus to all of this is that I get a 7 year warranty bundle included; repair or replace in-home. As usual with Costco, if something goes wrong during that period that can't be repaired, they will replace the set with a comparable model or refund your money within the aforementioned period. One more perk is that there is no sales tax in Oregon. $1799.99 out the door and delivered free. I get it next Friday. :pineapple:

I wanted to keep quiet about the price until I snatched one online. Talking to several Costco electronics managers, they expect to sell out of this product before the sale ends.

If any of you have any interest in this television and are a member of Costco, DO NOT WAIT!!!

mikeyt, longdist01, Michael and 3 others like this.
  19. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

Oh, and as for out-of-the-box quality, I set mine to Custom Mode > Expert 1, with Live color and dynamic contrast off. Previously, I had set my Pioneer plasma to D-Nice’s calibration settings. But he has not published his settings specifically for our 65” A80J (I forgot if he did the A90J or what). Again, very happy with the Sony.

longdist01 and audiomixer like this.
  20. Michael

thanks man! appreciate it . : )

longdist01, Jacob29 and audiomixer like this.
  21. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Looks like a sweet TV!

longdist01 and audiomixer like this.
  22. audiomixer

It truly is!

longdist01, Boomy and Michael like this.
  23. biggerdog

biggerdog Senior Member

Oh, heck, I ordered one too. I don't have room for it; I don't want to discard my 3D Plasma set, but I wanted an OLED anyway.

I've been fighting the impulse for over a week but failed to control it.

audiomixer likes this.
  24. violarules

violarules Senior Member

FWIW, Best Buy has this TV on sale, too, for $1849.

We recently purchased a 55" Sony OLED (A8H) and love it, so this is a great deal.

audiomixer likes this.
  25. audiomixer

I've been honing up on the 140 page online manual and settings from AVS Forum members before mine arrives.
    That keeps me busy and awake at night. :laugh:

mikeyt likes this.