Do you recognize these artists ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thematinggame, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Patanoia

Patanoia Third Ear Centre

Right time period, but Northern Europe.

2. Patanoia

The two remaining painters were both Dutch.

3. Patanoia

The album cover in F features a little person dancing, a mime artist juggling red balls, someone playing the trumpet, and a strong man lifting something. What an odd time!

4. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I can only think of Van Gogh - perhaps D?

Your description makes me think I should know this album, but can't place it.

5. Patanoia

Not Van Gogh. Both were earlier. For D, his best known painting has a young woman with some very specific jewelry.

6. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Aha! I know the album in F, but I seem to have hogged this puzzle so maybe I'll sit back and let someone else solve it.

Patanoia likes this.
  7. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Rembrandt and Bosch?

Patanoia likes this.
  8. Patanoia

Hieronymus Bosch is correct for F, but not Rembrandt.

Mal likes this.
  9. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Strange Days - the Doors

Patanoia likes this.
  10. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I want to know, in pic E, how part of the city ended up floating in the clouds. Is this something that's a feature of Albrecht Durer's style?

11. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Vermeer?

Patanoia likes this.
  12. Patanoia

No, it seems to be a major failing of the AI algorithm. It will often generate multiple occurrences of whatever you ask for, and put them in odd places on the canvas.

13. Patanoia

Correct. The resemblance is uncanny!

[​IMG]

Mal likes this.
  14. Patanoia

For the record, here were the text prompts for the AI:

A: Four long-haired men walking in single file across a zebra crossing | in the style of Francis Bacon
    B: A baby swims under water chasing a dollar bill on the end of a fishing line | in the style of Picasso blue period
    C: Two men dressed in business suits shake hands between big white buildings | The man on the right is on fire | in the style of David Hockney
    D: A family sits around a dinner table with a black obelisk on the table | yachts in the background | in the style of Vermeer
    E: Five African men carry a large snake on a green lawn | a large city on the horizon | in the style of Albrecht Durer
    F: A little person dancing, a strongman lifting a weight, a mime artist juggling red balls and a trumpeter | in the style of Hieronymus Bosch

The takeaway is that AI is far from perfect, so we're probably safe from the machines taking over for another few years. On the other hand, it's fascinating what it does come out with.

Hope you enjoyed something a little different!

Andrewb, Markyp, Mal and 2 others like this.
  15. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Cool game!

As you can tell, I know my albums a lot better than I know my painters.
    Two Australian artists whose styles I'd like to see applied to some well known albums are Jeffrey Smart and Brett Whiteley. Forum members probably know of Whiteley from the cover of the Dire Straits Alchemy album.

Markyp and Patanoia like this.
  16. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

Great game. Shame I was busy this afternoon and it was all over by the time I saw the thread.
    I got the Wish You Were Here one before scrolling through the replies. :righton:

Patanoia likes this.
  17. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for @patatonia for this new game , I must admit that I found it quite hard to recognize some of the painters /albums but still good fun and moreover it gave me an idea for a new game but it is still in its infancy and not sure whether it will work out or not.
    In the meantime, however, I have been given more magazines , this time it is a German magazine called Good Times , dealing mainly with artists from the 60's to the 80's , so don't expect anyone from the last 30 years or so ( there are lots of articles on what 60's/70's bands are doing now but I have tried to avoid these as much as possible, since all you would see are lots of bald or grey-haired men ! ) I am also trying to avoid repeats from earlier rounds and will only include those if the picture is interesting or new to me .
    I am aware that most of the artists will be difficult to guess but I promise there won't be anybody too obsucure and I am trying to use only artists who I have heard of before .

[​IMG]

@John54 @murphmanz @AveryKG @Andrewb @manicpopthrill @Black Elk @Rufus McDufus @Mal @Ricky Lampoon @PC31 @mooncusser2k @timind @blackstar @Bjorn Kjetil Johansen @ralphb @Xabby @Patanoia @kevimetal @misterdecibel @Tony Kaye @Phafner @TrillSeeker @souldeep69 @Evethingandnothing @Vineshoot @Bassist @broos @manicpopthrill @Cool hand luke @Godbluff @vamborules @PaulJay @RageRomano @pbuzby @pig bodine @AlienRendel @Stones Blah @bill44 @Markyp @Beechlander @Great Face For Radio @startdust443 @Saul Pimon @WHMusical @Dunedin @knb @PhR @Fullbug @knb

P.S.
    I have just finished cutting out 20+ artists and will post the first round later today at around the usual time (in about 5-6 hours) - let's see how it goes

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    Patanoia, mooncusser2k and Markyp like this.
  18. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident Thread Starter

sorry will have to postpone it due to car trouble - will either post it later today or tomorrow
    stay tuned

Markyp, AveryKG and Patanoia like this.
  19. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Ah, the old car trouble...

[​IMG]

Patanoia and thematinggame like this.
  20. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

While we are waiting, here's one from me:

[​IMG]

Each tile represents a song title. There are 5 albums represented, with 5 songs from each album.

Usual rules:

- Post exactly TWO titles from an album that has not yet been identified, and name the album.
    or
    - Post ONE title from an album that has already been identified.

That constitutes your turn, after which wait 10 minutes before taking another turn.

21. Patanoia

These are tough! Is B1 "Sunset" by Roxy Music from "Stranded"?

22. mike sullivan

mike sullivan Blues Boy

it is tough....D4 could be Moonchild...

Moonchild - Rory Gallagher
    Moonchild - King Crimson
    Moonchild - Iron Maiden

23. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

No correct guesses yet.

Read the rules again! Many of the tiles could refer to several possible songs, which is why I suggested that you start by naming the album and two songs from it, which narrows down the possible songs. So if you think one is "Sunset" from "Stranded", you need to try and pick one more from "Stranded".

Unfortunately I'll be absent for several hours sleeping so won't be here to confirm or deny guesses. Meanwhile have fun pondering. If there is not much progress when I return, I'll start supplying clues.

I realise I should have made the full image a bit larger, but you should be able to enlarge it on your screen using Ctrl-+.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  24. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

A3 Dancing In The Dark
    D3 Working On The Highway
    Bruce Springsteen-Born In The USA

bob_32_116 likes this.
  25. mike sullivan

mike sullivan Blues Boy

C1 Downbound Train - Bruce Springsteen, Born in the USA

bob_32_116 likes this.