What is it with Discogs sellers? Post your horror stories here...

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by glamorbowie1, May 10, 2021.

1. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident

I haven't read through all 6 pages here, but my main gripe with Discogs is the use of generic photos. On more than one instance, I have purchased records that buyers have mis-listed as being different pressings than they actually were.

Some have arrived over-graded, but I have had an equal amount of Discogs purchases arrive in better-than-advertised condition. I don't buy high-dollar records, so the experience has been ok overall. Aside from missing the "thrill of the hunt" aspect, buying online saves the hassle of hunting through record bins and thrift shops on my limited free time these days.

2. iveivan

iveivan Prime Sinister

I have never tried to negotiate but then I haven’t bought any box sets from there. I think it’s outrageous to increase the price when someone is interested.

WarEagleRK likes this.
  3. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

The only reason I messaged to negotiate is that there were multiple items that had best offers and discogs only allows one best offer so if that gets declined then you can't make another. So I just contacted to see if we could agree on a best offer price. One item went from $40 with a best offer option to $55 when I did that another went from $27 to $40, so that was apparently a bad strategy.

I'd just never had that situation happen where someone upped the prices on the items I was interested in after I send them a message.

iveivan likes this.
  4. iveivan

iveivan Prime Sinister

I also don’t have time to hunt in record shops. Over here, most shops are small and don’t have a large stock of old vinyl.

My Discogs order cost is typically small. As the postage cost can be higher than a single vinyl cost, I tend to look for sellers that have a few records I want or browse for 12” singles to add to the order just so the postage cost does not dwarf the vinyl cost. Often sellers will have a fixed postage cost for up to 5 records.

quicksrt likes this.
  5. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Not necessarily a horror story but I had another seller cancel my order saying they no longer had the item. This has happened to me multiple times on Discogs. Never happens anywhere else.

UnknownEric likes this.
  6. iveivan

iveivan Prime Sinister

They probably expect you to give a positive review.

7. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

Had my first particularly negative experience on discogs this month. Not a horror story and i expect to get PayPal to remedy.

Seller said he'd playgrade an LP before i sent payment but had to pay within the 4 day discogs window. So i did hoping he'd be honest (32 + feedback). He eventually playgraded and said it was without issue. Said he would ship two days later and that was 2 weeks ago. Still no shipping #, no responses to PM and discogs is about to suspend his account for failure to respond to my request for shipping info.

Guess it was a short term loan as another discogs member posted negative feedback last week for not shipping. He had a lot of high ticket items for sale and all of those have been removed from sale. Oh well. Hopefully PayPal comes through as they should . . .

8. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I had another one the other day.

9. iveivan

iveivan Prime Sinister

Some sellers seem the treat Discogs as an afterthought and the platform does nothing to stop it.

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Cody B likes this.
  11. rudybeet

rudybeet Forum Resident

For what it's worth, steer clear of a seller called Lonesome-Records located in Austria. It took 6 weeks for my CD to arrive, and when I opened up the envelope, the entire inner contents were drenched! Water spots all over the CD and the booklet was crumbling. If that was not bad enough, he feels that he has to get reimbursed by the insurance he purchased before he will refund my money, and keeps asking me for more photos, more documentation, etc. Avoid!

12. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

6 weeks is nothing for post between North America and Austria these days, it's only in the last few Austria post has started sending parcels across the Atlantic again, parcels were taking 2-3 months to arrive not that long ago as everything was being shipped by sea rather than air as there were very few flights.

Sounds though as if it was damaged in transit,which isnt the senders responsibility and hes justified in needing evidence to make a claim from the postal service.

jackieboy likes this.
  13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Untrue, because for many decades European recorded arrived to the shops without being sealed. They arrived to US distributers not sealed, and so it was up to stores even to gag them and tape up the opening.

They were and often are MINT.

14. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

The seller should refund you now rather than make you wait. Whether he's successful in his claim doesn't really impact his obligation to refund you.

But, it's not really his fault that between USPS and Austrian Post the package was ruined. My guess is that it happened once it arrived in the US rather than before it left Austria. It's not really normal for sellers to make their package water proof. I think I've had maybe a handful over the years that could pass the water test.

It's also not his fault that it took 6 weeks. The seller can't control the post office in either country.

Asking for documentation and photos is normal in situations like this. He'll need to provide details and evidence that the package was damaged. If you don't help him with that information, his claim will fail. But you mention he keeps asking for more photos...unless the photos you provided weren't good enough, not sure what he's doing with that many photos.

Lost In The Flood and no.nine like this.
  15. rudybeet

rudybeet Forum Resident

I finally got a refund from this As&(^*^&. Took the post office 40 minutes to figure out what form I had to tell them to fill out and what to do with it. Not meant to trash the USPS, but just to show this was way too much work for me to get a refund. Shipping damage is always on the shipper- I shouldn't have to kill myself to get a refund.

16. rudybeet

rudybeet Forum Resident

That's unfortunate. I will not be ordering anything from Austria again, which is not meant as a putdown of the noble Austrian people! I ordered the same CD for half the price from Sweden and it was in my mailbox in 7 days.

17. Rattlin' Bones

Rattlin' Bones Grumpy Old Deaf Drummer

I made a reasonable offer and seller with thousands of ratings and lots of current listings sends me a 20 paragraph essay on why he can't discount the LP and why he's the best and why I should buy from him etc. etc. etc.

I wanted the album so I made purchase at listed price for NM vinyl.

Side A Track 1 had skip in it 20 seconds into the song.

18. WarEagleRK

I made offers a few weeks ago in multiple CD's from one seller. Those offers were generally just a $1.00 or so lower than his listing. The seller messaged me back declining the offer saying he didn't plan on discounting anything right now and he mostly uses best offers to start a conversation with fellow music fans and gave me his phone number to contact him.

Since his prices were good anyway, I declined to call or email him and just paid the full amount. 5 days later he still hadn't shipped and I email him again on Discogs and he doesn't have all of the items that I ordered and was still looking for them. During those 5 days he never once told me he was having a hard time finding everything. I asked him to just cancel the order.

Sprague Dawley likes this.
  19. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Now I have a horror story with German seller, which actually the first time, those guys are usually fine.
    I got several records, one of which is not a first press, but cheap later repress (could be easily seen as jackets and labels are different).
    I paid 50 euro, got the one I can care less (it is FWIW routinely sold for 15 euro)
    He first offered me 20 (!) euro refund, then requested me to send wrong record to Germany on my dime to get a full refund (and pay $22 from my pocket!).
    Remember, it is not dispute on record condition, it is simply a wrong one. I got overgraded records before, and was able to reach an agreement with partial discounts, but THAT...
    I've been buying records for years and never (perhaps I was lucky) was in this situation.
    Wonder would I first complain to discogs or go to paypal.

20. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

If you paid by Paypal, they'll reimburse you for return shipping up to $30, or at least that was the maximum at one time. You need to sign up for the service first:

Return Shipping Refund | Sign Up | PayPal US

You probably have to file a dispute, and I believe in your case it would be for 'wrong item recieved' or however they'll have it worded. Pardon me for not sounding exactly sure about the procedure, but I'm rusty because it's been several years since I've used it. :)

slipkid and Old Zorki II like this.
  21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I have a bunch of my inventory listed at Discogs and Amazon as well. Once in a while, an item gets sold at one of the venues and not removed from the listings at the other. And so I had to cancel the order. I always feel awful about it, so I try and always keep an eye on both sets of listings.

I'm getting ready to add all my Discogs listed stock to Amazon listings very soon. So I'm going to have to really watch it, and not just go by memory on what is where.

22. iveivan

iveivan Prime Sinister

There should be some software to keep all these inventories in sync. If not, there’s an opportunity for someone create it or produce a better valued one if that’s the issue.

23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I think a post-it note on the cover of the LP "also on Amazon" should be a good way to be reminded. My problem with software is that the data must be entered in some way. And I hate dealing with data entry.

I am about to create a spreadsheet to track sales, fees, shipping costs, shipping fees & tax collected, cost of item, and finally profit. Because next year the tax situation is changing (as everyone knows), and so I'm going to be busy just trying to keep that sheet up to date.

24. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

After long negotiations he refunded most of the price, up to going rate for repress, which I will keep for now (even represses in such great condition are hard to come by..)
    It is not a lot of money all things considered, but satisfaction is important.

no.nine likes this.
  25. WarEagleRK

I've found far too many discogs sellers take way too long to actually ship the item out. Maybe my expectations are too high as I try to get things out the next day, but it's not rare to see 5 days for an item purchased to sit before some sellers ship it. If their shipping description states they only ship one day a week then I don't mind but far too many say they ship immediately and take their time getting it out.

astro70 and Gus Tomato like this.