Alex Trebek RIP

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by leemelone, Nov 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

The speculation at the time was that he probably had been drinking or indulging in other stimulants before taking the wheel. He crossed over into the opposite, on-coming lane of traffic and crashed head-on into another car, killing two people. After the collision he claimed to have no memory of it and not to be able to provide an explanation as to its cause. Although criminally charged, a deal was made and he was fined £100 (UK) - the equivalent of less than $200 (US) or on average less than $100 per person he killed - and no time behind bars. (I cannot remember if there was any subsequent civil litigation or settlement.)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    somnar likes this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

did they find a permanent replacement yet?
    I have not been following this thread...

3. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

No. Bialik and Jennings have been named as temporary hosts for the season, but officially the search goes on. Interestingly, Bialik will be handling most of the shows over the season and it was announced that Jeopardy's shooting schedule will revolve around her other commitments. The speculation is that that indicates she is the favourite to be named permanent host. I presume that Jenning's presence is to appease faithful Jeopardy fans and provide a sense of familiarity and continuity for the show.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  4. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Wow, I don't remember hearing about any of that ever.

5. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I surprise myself sometimes with the oddest bits of trivia I unknowingly retain. It was quite a while ago - 1987. Your post prompted me to do a quick Google search to make sure my memory had the facts straight. I read that there was speculation that Broderick wasn't paying attention while driving and/ or was in a hurry because he kept getting lost and/ or he got confused about which lane of traffic he should be driving in (in North America we drive in the right lane; in the UK they drive in the left lane). There was no proof of him being intoxicated and that was one of the reasons proffered as to why the charges were reduced. But yeah ... Broderick was clearly driving in the wrong lane of on-coming traffic, hit another car head-on, killed two people, paid his bail, returned to the US, criminal charges reduced, fined £100, no jail time. I don't understand the permanent loss of his memory regarding the collision. His girlfriend, Jennifer Grey, was a passenger in Broderick's car. The only account of how the accident occurred from her I could find was, "One minute we're going down the road and music is playing, and the next minute... it's all different".

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  6. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

I'm watching Jeopardy! right now and I was surprised Mayim Bialik was introduced as "the host of Jeopardy!" and not "the guest host of Jeopardy!"

7. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

RIP to this thread.
    Well, it was announced she was chosen as a sort of second host several months ago before the Richards kerfluffle so it doesn't seem surprising to me. It's also possible when this was filmed, they hadn't settled things with Jennings yet so in effect, she is the main host for the time being.

8. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I finally went and read the whole The Ringer thing about Richards with his various problematic exchanges in quotes. He was a typical sophomoric dork at best, as a boss though why should anyone be subjected to that? Definitely rose above his station, as they used to say, without learning some needed lessons. Calls for absolute destruction would be just as unbalanced, but no, I wouldn't want him as host of Jeopardy. Not being a host of a tv show is something the vast majority of us seem able to deal with. :D

Billy Infinity and Strummergas like this.
  9. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Now check into Mark Wahlberg - THERE’S a piece of work!

Back on topic: after watching Mayim on tonight’s show, I’m thrilled she’s a host for this year. I think she’s just right for the role. Happy for Ken J also.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    Grand_Ennui likes this.
  10. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Geez. There's some more crappy stuff I didn't know.

11. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I think they should just give the permanent host job to Bialik, for several reasons:

1. She wants the job.
    2. She's well educated. And while that's not a prerequisite for the job, it does bring some credibility to the show.
    3. She's young enough that she can carry the show for many years to come.
    4. She was considered good enough to be given the hosting position for the primetime specials. Therefore, she's good enough to be host of the regular series.
    5. It will bring to an end the messed-up process for searching for a new host. The sooner Jeopardy settles back into a regular rhythm again, the better.

12. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I agree. I'd like them to come to a decision and thus far she's at least good enough and I assume will become even better when she gets used to hosting.

I still have my fingers crossed for Buzzy but at this point I just want a host.

13. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Good and valid points... I agree with you.

Billy Infinity and 905 like this.
  14. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I have no issue with Mayim Bialik being permanent host, if she gets it in the end, otherwise I still want David Faber (current co-host of CNBC's "Squawk On The Street"). Please dear GOD, don't let it be Buzzy!

15. mrjinks

Mr. Amodio topped the million dollar mark last Friday- how long can he continue?

aorecords likes this.
  16. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

He's only a few days away from James number of days played.

mrjinks likes this.
  17. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

...And on Friday's episode, he beat Jeopardy James' number of games played...

Does anyone think he will surpass Ken Jennings? I don't think he'll make it quite that far, but the way it's looking for him now, I wouldn't be surprised to see him make it to 50 games.

mrjinks likes this.
  18. torcan

torcan Forum Resident

He's such a dominant player it's hard to imagine him losing - but Ken and James eventually did and he will too. There were a couple of times where it could have happened. I don't think he'll beat Ken.

When he does finally lose, for me Jeopardy won't be as interesting. This is quite a streak - I hope it continues for a while.

Grand_Ennui and mrjinks like this.
  19. mrjinks

I wonder how soon Ken’s first hosting date will be this season. Would be something if Matt were still around for that!

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  20. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Broderick not a great choice

21. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

In a long ago post speculating about the choice of a new host, I mentioned that the sound of his or her voice should be an important factor. (Trebek had a great broadcasting voice.) I was watching the show last week and as usual the screen spends 99% of the time on the board or the contestants. Visually the host is absent most of the time, while the host's voice is omni-present. I found Bialik's constant voice in asking the questions and then affirming whether the responses were the correct or incorrect to be annoying after a while. I have trouble listening to her non-stop for the whole show.

22. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I don’t watch the show on a regular basis, but I did watch an episode from last Friday (10/1/2021) on YouTube. I find Ms Biyalik’s voice to be unobtrusive and authoritative. Her tone is a little bit clipped. But I think with experience, she will relax a little bit. I think she’s a great choice.

Again, I don’t watch the show too often.

HGN2001 likes this.
  23. mrjinks

I love Bialik. She’s note-perfect for me.

and holy ****, Matt Amodio continues to astound!

Jim Pattison, Playloud and TMRY like this.
  24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

seeing a Cameo of Alex in Free Guy was cool, but sad.

25. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Wow! Today was a nail biter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.