The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I didn't even know it had been.

jethrotoe likes this.
  2. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

I know that it was a hit single in the UK, reaching #18 in 1972, but has there been any airplay on UK radio since then?

3. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Today in Kinks history:

See My Friends had its US release on this day in 1965 via Reprise Records. The band originally attempted to record it back in April but use a day off on their UK tour in May to go back and finish a new (and final) version.

4. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

The Contenders:

I love it! Obviously, anyone here who has read my posts knows that the first thing I’m going to say is “Dave is back!“ And as I have noted as we covered them, a big part of the reason that I ignored a lot of the last few albums in my youth was due to the lack of balls-out rock ‘n’ roll. The Contenders, as an opening track, announces with certainty that this album will be a bit more of a rock ‘n’ roll affair. I’m sure my prior posts have made it clear that, once I opened my mind (and added a good 20 or 30 years of maturity), albums like Something Else, Face-to-Face and Village Green now stand tall in my mind, despite the fact that there’s not much in the way of “You Really Got Me” style bangers.

I dug everything about this track from the moment I heard it. The subtle acoustic intro (without even realizing that it tied to the last song, completing the circle, which makes it all the more clever), the sudden and unexpected shift into all out rock ‘n’ roll, the repeated riff, bar room boogie piano, and awesome drumming, all caught my attention and held it from the first listen. Sure, I acknowledge that it lacks a chorus and much of a melody, but it opens the door to the next 14 trackside in a head banging fashion, all of which contain those missing elements in spades. I consider this a great album opener!

5. jethrotoe

jethrotoe Forum Resident

And, for what it’s worth, it’s a favorite of Kink super avid Mark Hamill, who said he sang it while sitting in the Millennium Falcon.

6. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

I was "yesterday years old" when I became aware that the face is a composite. LOL I always assumed and figured it was a weird likeness of Ray since he finds himself on the cover of other 70s albums with no other band members.

7. Invisible Man

Invisible Man Forum Resident

I always thought it was Dave Davies with a beard on the left and Ray Davies on the right, but I also always thought (and still do) that it made for hideous cover art. Add to that the tiny writing and cumbersome title. Then add to that being on the Pye label. This LP overcame a lot to become a hit.

8. Invisible Man

Invisible Man Forum Resident

From last year, Ray Davies on the LP and "Lola," plus some information about the movie that used songs from the album as some of you folks mentioned upthread:
    Ray Davies on 50 Years of ‘Lola’

9. Wondergirl

You're not wrong. I agree on all counts.
    I've said it before, but they don't have an iconic album cover which is a damned shame. Early on they had TWO members who were into graphic arts and art in general. Was it Ray who ultimately signed off on all these album covers? If so, I'm glad Sir Davies stuck with music. haha

10. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

That should have been in the movie!

11. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Great commentary by everyone above, per usual

Strangers is my favorite song on the Lola album. It connects with me every damn time I hear it. It is also my favorite Kinks song by Dave, followed by one they recorded fifteen years later. I was really looking forward to Ray’s remix of the track on the anniversary box. I do like it, and it is very detailed. My weak joke though would be that while the original version is the best song on the Lola vs Powerman etc. album (well, maybe it can’t be compared to Lola, a career-saving hit single), the remix is the best song on the Band’s Stage Fright.

It’s the featuring of the little lead guitar lick that can be heard clearly from the intro onwards that further betrays (plays up?) the Band influence on the song. I know the Davies brothers grew up on American C&W, and Dave has always shown a remarkable affinity for the style on guitar. But the instrumentation here and the Rick Danko like vocal seals the deal. With Dave (and Ray) having always been Dylan afficionados, it’s not surprising Dave would be influenced by the Band, as were so many of his contemporaries.

The other thing about the remix is the panning and lesser volume of John Gosling’s lovely, Nicky Hopkins-like piano runs. Mick Jagger used to call Nicky “Diamond Tiaras”, and the Baptist certainly glitters here.

Anyway, back to the original album mix. The panning is very interesting, and when the organ takes center stage for the final verse, it imparts a hymn like quality. It’s really a fantastic performance all around. I love Ray’s joining in on background vocals for the short choruses (@Fortuleo by which I just mean the couplet that repeats the title phrase).

As for it fitting into the concept, it seems to me that the lyric has a connection to The Contenders reference to being much stronger as a team. Whatever Dave’s impetus for writing the song, I can hear it as the two brothers deciding to band together and carry on. In this context, it fits perfectly with them navigating the nasty storms of the record business.

I do like Norah Jones’s version. It shows that even without Dave’s gorgeous performance, it’s a great song.

Strangers, man. We are not two, we are one. Right on, Dave!

12. jethrotoe

jethrotoe Forum Resident

I thought it was just Ray and Dave too (Dave with a beard). But then I saw photos/video of them in 1970 and Dave was still cleanshaven, so I couldn’t figure out what was going on.

13. jethrotoe

jethrotoe Forum Resident

Don’t forget that Mick Avory’s father was apparently some sort of graphic artist too!

14. Scottsol

Scottsol Forum Resident

And give the rest away?

15. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I'm really surprised that Come Dancing makes the top 10! I know it was a hit, but I've rarely heard it since the 80s - was it also in a film or commercial?

16. Smiler

Smiler Forum Resident

May I join you two for a chat in the corner while everyone else is enjoying the party? I like the sentiment of the lyric and the "we are not two, we are one" refrain. But other than that refrain, the melody is unremarkable and the tempo dirge-like. And Dave's voice, which often causes me to knock a point or two off the songs he sings, is really not enjoyable for me here. But I am glad the song resonates with so many and has brought The Kinks into the mainstream in the current day.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  17. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I don’t think it’s had that kind of revival, no: I guess it’s just hanging in there cos it was a fairly major 80s hit, and it’s prob on a lot of 80s playlists. Also notable is that ‘Tired Of Waiting For You’ which is tied with ‘Come Dancing’ for their highest charting US single, as well as being one of their 3 UK no.1s, isn’t in the Spotify top ten.

18. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

Unfortunately, it's probably the fact that it's from 1965, as opposed to 1983. I do remember it being used in a ketchup commercial a few years ago.

19. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

It’s #5 on Apple Music. (Lola x 2 versions; You Really Got Me x 2 versions) Father Christmas; All Day And All Of The Night; Come Dancing)

20. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Yeah but I was quoting the a line from Supersonic Rocket Ship 'cause i felt so inclined!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    mark winstanley and DISKOJOE like this.
  21. All Down The Line

I hope you do make other pitches as you have talent and as far as that one Shindig transpired it just goes to show what you can achieve with the right aptitude!

ajsmith, mark winstanley and DISKOJOE like this.
  22. All Down The Line

Father Christmas is that high, was that a sleigh of hand?

23. All Down The Line

Sounds like no fLuke!

24. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Ha ha. (I use my phone exclusively so am unable to see the number of streams, per song. And don’t know whether Spotify does it or not but Apple tallies from source. So the stereo and mono sources are two separate tallies...and then if You Really Got Me gets listened to on s compilation, that’s a separate count. At least on my phone.)

25. Wondergirl

Strangers
    This is not my favorite Dave song. But is it really good? yep! This song really came on my radar this year. There was a bit of hoopla made about Black Pumas covering it. I don't know who they are, but it got my attention.

So like Mark and maybe a few others, this song grows on you. It'll never be a top fave, but I DO understand WHY people love it so much.

It's so heartfelt and spiritual. The big world stuff. Or that's how I took it. It felt more general than specific. How we're all in this life together - let's be good to each other.

And I think Dave's voice sounds great. and love the big deep drum sound too.