Things you miss from old tv shows that you don’t see anymore?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gill-man, Aug 15, 2018.

1. analog74

analog74 Forum Resident

I really enjoy the 60s/70s era detective/crime shows where the use of phones is strategic, like finding a pay phone. I especially enjoy the suspense of someone looking through files rather than clicking a mouse. Like Rockford with a small flashlight combing through a cabinet and the whole time thinking "Hurry up Rockford!" All the tactile, "analog" ways of living are much more interesting.

2. j_rocker

j_rocker Forum Resident

So many plots wouldn’t work/are ruined by cell phones. That’s why you see many shows and movies now being set in the recent past for no other reason than to avoid the prevalence of smartphones.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

The TV Guide "Fall Preview" issue, I always looked forward to reading about the new shows.
    Now? The real TV Guide is gone. Most programs on network TV are garbage. I can't even name one new show debuting this season.

vinnie, csgreene, j_rocker and 2 others like this.
  4. Randall DeBouvre

Randall DeBouvre forum resident

I miss ernie anderson
    wednesday on eight is enough nicholas falls in love with music and joni falls in love with a guy dad can't stand."

"the mob wants dan tanna bad, but dan gets the mob good on vegaS

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    j_rocker, vinnie and CatchAsCan like this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...piecing it out...still boils down to...EVERYTHING!

6. Michael

because they are agenda driven...truth be told...I loved getting TV Guide every week!

7. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

TV Guide still exists-I know because in the last few months, I've received offers in the mail to subscribe to them.

Michael and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Grand_Ennui

Other than "The Wonder Years", I don't know of any shows debuting this TV season, and that's mainly because nowadays TV doesn't seem to follow the old rule of debuting your new shows in the Fall (September to early October) and then running them until about the end of March of the next year.

Nowadays, a season can start in the middle of December and run for 10-13weeks and then that's it until they have another "season's worth" of shows to run again for about 10-13 weeks in about 6 months time...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Sounds like something that would fit in My Little Pony - Friendship Is Magic.

One of the things that prevented me from buying TV Guide is that my hometown didn't have cable till the 1980s, while the Suburbs did. Due to this, a majority of the listings in TV Guide were for programs that I don't watch. It was frustrating to come across show after show that looked interesting...and then discover I can't see it because it's not a program on my local channel.

I must mention the great Ernie Anderson, who was THE voice of ABC in the 1970s ("The Love Boat...").

Plus, the shows in the Hartnell Era was done live, so the mistakes just went out as is.

This was a great thing about Babylon 5, where all of the characters changed and grew as the series progressed. As an example one character, Londo Molari, started out as a comic relief but by the end of the series he became the living example of the warning: "Be careful what you wish for...you might just get it."

Archie developed as a character of the course of All In The Family, becoming far more than he was in the beginning. With Al Bundy, he was basically a static character...the same in the last episode as in the first. With Homer Simpson, he became less intelligent as the series progressed.

10. Michael

they are like People magazine now and the listings end early??? like 11PM? it's horrible...

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  11. Grand_Ennui

Wow, I didn't realize they didn't run the listings all night like they did when I subscribed back in the 80s/early 90s...

'Late night' TV is when I watch it the most, not knowing what will be on then wouldn't do me any good. The way I do it now is I look at the DVR's program guide on the networks I like and see what they have coming up over the next few days and set the DVR to record them...

Michael likes this.
  12. Michael

yea, it was literally a different world.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  13. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

[​IMG]

The mystery of other TV channels in other towns. The white channels, such as above.

rod, Scooterpiety and O Don Piano like this.
  14. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

My parents wrote things like doctor's appointments on their TV Guide. It was their calendar.

Amnion likes this.
  15. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Spontaneous stuff

16. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I'm getting real tired of people throwing up on TV/movies. I'm beyond tired of sophomoric and toilet humor.

Dyland and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I also hate shows where the writers and producers want to preach their personal sick social values to the audience. If I'm gonna be preached to, I'll watch Leave it to Beaver, thanks. I don't watch much TV anymore...

18. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Hate those shows of yesteryear with the married couple in separate beds. How the hell did Rob & Laura create Little Richie?

Dan C, Matthew Tate and csgreene like this.
  19. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Didn't you know that The Stork brought people children until 1970?

Matthew Tate and Dyland like this.
  20. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Wilkins coffee ads!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Randall DeBouvre

Local programing. You could tell if a person is from Chicago if he/she knew about GARFIELD GOOSE, and that another person is from Cleveland if he/she knew about Ghoulari.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    Lightworker likes this.
  22. Randall DeBouvre

saturday morning cartoons

23. Randall DeBouvre

The Wonderful World of Disney
    Omaha's Wild Kingdom

24. Grand_Ennui

While it's not the same as when the three major networks aired cartoons on Saturday mornings, Me-TV has picked up the torch and is airing animated shows during its morning schedule.

If you are able to receive RFD-TV thru cable (or satellite or streaming), they're airing 'Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom'.

25. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Never underestimate the power of a good puke or poo poo joke.