David Bowie - Brilliant Adventure (1992-2001) [Box set #5]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Sep 17, 2021.

1. footstomper

footstomper Forum Resident

Well I took the plunge at the last minute and ordered the vinyl box from What Records for £307.99 (inc p&p). Ridiculously high price but the cheapest I could find. Unfortunately I couldn't justify another £100 for the Toy box. I know a version of it is in the BA box but I really want the Toy 10" set too so fingers crossed the price drops between now and release date and I hope it doesn't sell out!
    Does anyone know if What will issue refunds if the BA box drops even cheaper somewhere else?

2. WeeSam

WeeSam Forum Resident

surely you should have asked them first?

why not just wait a while? the price will probably fall on this.

Cat People likes this.
  3. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

The only way I can see buying this set is as a NON BRICKED 24 bit download. Otherwise, there's little I need here. I do want Toy (it's only an ok album imo, but I'm a moderate completest & all I have now is an MP3), but since it's going to have a separate release..........

But have no fear, every note he put on tape will eventually be released (I am wondering about Arnold Corns, though).

croquetlawns and WeeSam like this.
  4. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

Loving that! :)

ShockOfDaylight likes this.
  5. Frankie_Collector

Frankie_Collector Bowie nut extraordinaire

Outside was available in a wide variety of presentations. Two different Japanese editions in 1995, re-issues with two discs, two different Taiwanese editions, an Italian version with an additional booklet, a Digibook, the list goes on...same for hours.

[​IMG]

6. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Really torn on this one. After all the delays and build-up, this feels pretty anemic unless it turns out that the mastering on these albums is world's beyond the previously-available editions.

Granted, that's speaking as a CD guy. Vinyl heads' mileage may vary and my hope is that the prices drop for you folks.

In every previous box, there was at least the promise that the EMI mastering would be bettered (and, for the most part, it was) along with some bonus stuff here and there. Now? I really don't expect that they'll be doing better than the OG loudness wars era, the bonus content is thin on the ground, AND Toy is getting a separate release (and yes, mark me down in the "Ugh, that's repugnant" camp re: the artwork). I'm really not sure what the logic was to this release - especially if the prices were going to be a jump up from the last installment.

I suppose there's silver linings and all. I'm free to just get Toy and call time on the box set collection from here on out. May wait to see how the mastering ranks for people.

bluedemon25 and moomoomoomoo like this.
  7. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

They are obliged to issue refunds due to distance selling regulations. It’s the law!

That said, What Records did drop the price of the last Prince box set before it was released and automatically refunded anyone the difference who preordered at the original price.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    footstomper and croquetlawns like this.
  8. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

So the version from the actual Basquiat OST would remain unique to that album?

9. Summer of Malcontent

I never paid much attention to the truncated vinyl version of the album, but what the hell were they thinking?

Markyp and scenescof like this.
  10. Summer of Malcontent

Or you could just buy its standard commercial release for a couple of bucks:
    [​IMG]
    Phoenix The Album (1997, CD)

11. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

“See, I’m just a space cadet, he’s the commander”

While many of the remixes from this era are superfluous, there are still some that are actually really good. Some remixes were even performed live. Still baffled, they didn’t do at least a 1 disc “best of the remixes” compilation for this set.

Runicen, Demiurge88, fluxkit and 5 others like this.
  12. WeeSam

WeeSam Forum Resident

As long as you have not broken the seal!

13. Segasonic91

Segasonic91 Forum Resident

I still see people defending Warner and the idiot "estate" in this thread. Blows my mind, honestly.

I guess the best I can hope for is that the MoV releases of 1.Outside, Earthling and hours will drastically fall in price once the (no doubt perceived) "newest and bestest" record re-issues become available from Warner. I have almost ZERO doubt that the MoV editions will be superior in the pressing, packing and quality control department. The new ones will probably be pressed at GZ or similar shi*ty plant because they are cheap. God forbid parlophone put out anything of high quality.

I have the MoV Heathen and Reality as well as The Next Day and Blackstar. I hope they will issue a decent TND 10th anniversary in 2023 seeing it was such a historic release. Goes without saying that Blackstar will require something special, too because it will double as 10th anniversary of the album as well as 10 years since we lost the legendary man himself.

These bastards better not mess up the Hunky Dory and Ziggy 50th releases. Only fresh AAA releases of both or new AAA Ziggy and EMI 100 re-press of HD will cut it for me. Apart from the extra tracks and book etc. I would love to see it be like the KISS Destroyer box with replicas of lots of different books, items, flyers, posters etc of ths time as they can. I know I will just be disappointed though.

Markyp likes this.
  14. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

"She's a housewife. She buys things."

15. moomoomoomoo

The most Ziggy DVD-A was odd: The album sounded great, but the bonus trax were bricked. I've stopped doing vinyl so shared it with a vinyl friend & split the cost & that worked out great (it was only sold as a vinyl + dvd-a package)!

Fabrice Outside likes this.
  16. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

It just occurred to me and thought I should warn/remind you. Even at $1200 you will have to pay customs as it’s over $1000!

17. Segasonic91

Yeah, the bonus tracks only being on a DVD-A was stupid and the terrible mastering defeated the purpose of DVD-A anyway. It should have been a double record with bonus tracks as well as DVD-A. Is that all because of Ryko? But really, Ziggy should have had a box like STS rather than a record and DVD-A. I like it and the AAA record itself was great at the time (but I like the 6E/4E and Japanese 1st more), but it was ZIGGY damn it!

A 40th anniversary release deserved a lot more. I suppose EMI's financial problems were to blame. Such a shame. Would have loved STS style boxes for all the albums with AAA mastering, flat master CD, WG RCA CD and 12" and 7" singles. Right through to Never Let Me Down.

Although maybe a 1983-1987 EMI America box would have worked better, haha. Obviously a Let's Dance box would sell but not so much Tonight, Labyrinth or NLMD. Even though I really like NLMD and do not get the hate. Love the Labyrinth sountrack, too and Absolute Beginners is my 3rd favourite Bowie song behind Ashes to Ashes and Life On Mars?

18. moomoomoomoo

Ouch! In the USA, our free customs limit is $400.

19. moomoomoomoo

I don't think it had to do with Ryko (though I could be wrong). I suspect that EMI was too cheap &/or lazy to remaster the bonus tracks.

20. nodisco

nodisco Forum Resident

Yes I know, but I'm not really a 'completist' collector and I'm not so interested in multiple edition of the latest albums (where "latest" means more or less after Scary monsters) even if the tracklist or some songs are different.
    I have 2-3 copies of Ziggy, Low, Heroes, etc., but a single edition of BTWN could be probably enough for me.
    I don't know, I'll see when I have the new one in my hands.

21. Segasonic91

We used to have one of the best import limits in the world. Then the piece of crap that is somehow, now the PM of Australia (it was treasurer at the time) got the idea that we should be charged 10% GST for every single goddamned thing we buy.

The kicker? The SELLER collects said 10% GST FOR the Au government! So thanks to that, I have not been able to freely purchase anything from amazon around the world since July 2018 because amazon gave the government the middle finger and said "yeah....no". So, they just block us purchasing now.

22. moomoomoomoo

For me, a Tin Machine box with unreleased goodies would probably be of more interest other than Toy.

While I'm catalog on DB (on common releases) after RCA; Earthling & the 3 (including live) Tin Machines are by far my favorites post RCA. I kinda like Hours & a few tracks from some of the others. Realistically, it's unlikely I'm going to listen to anything post RCA in this lifetime again except when they are first released, other than TM, Earthling, & concerts from both eras. I also liked the 2 official out takes releases Is It Any Wonder & ChangesNowBowie. There are several post RCA albums I really don't like (though I own them). BTWN, Labyrinth & Buddha are probably the three I like the least. I don't know why for sure; but other than Hallo Spaceboy & Heart's Filthy Lesson, I'm not that fond of Outside, though I really like Earthling.

I'd really enjoy a well mastered 192/24 of Earthling.

I do have one odd version of Earthling: UK cd edition as a mini hardback book with a LONG gap between what would be the 2 sides on the LP.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    croquetlawns and TonyCzar like this.
  23. Rob Byrne

Rob Byrne British, music lover

I’m amazed you like the Friday Music edition of Outside. I thought it sounded very obviously mastered from CD. I compared it to the MOV Excerpts From Outside release, and the Friday version sounded hopelessly inferior.

24. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

And it wasn’t even DVD-A!!

TonyCzar likes this.
  25. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I didn't dislike it... but I'm willing to sell for the big money to finance the new box. The new Outside will surely be less bulky....

scenescof likes this.