David Bowie - Brilliant Adventure (1992-2001) [Box set #5]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Sep 17, 2021.

1. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

Fabrice Outside likes this.
  2. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

Someday if yo had the time would love to hear more about the various variants. Yes I know it’s on discogs but it can be hard to parse out what of the 100 listings is actually unique and I’d be curious what makes it special to you.

3. fluxkit

fluxkit Things that don't swing are meaningless.

I agree. I have all the remix bonus discs, and most of the singles with the rest, but I would have been interested in a curated "Dance II" mix for this era. But I guess I still have to make my own, instead.

Oogie, gamuzajoe, pobbard and 2 others like this.
  4. fluxkit

fluxkit Things that don't swing are meaningless.

I got the sort of green swirly version of Outside from Friday and I really like mine, I was surprised how good I found it to sound on my system. but I never had the MOV one for that to compare.

5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Do you think MOV editions will be superior to the new ones? I'm debating selling some off to finance the box. I kinda like that purple Earthling pressing, though. Sniffle.

White Earthling has that bulky tri fold jacket that juts from the shelf. I could live without it. I have the original Excepts pressing anyway to fall back on (OH NO I BROKE IT!....you know....because I felll... nevermind.....)

Django216 and gamuzajoe like this.
  6. Reading through the comments there the 2 main complaints seem to be the price of the vinyl and lots of people wanting a disc of remixes.

7. Demiurge88

Demiurge88 Forum Resident

Now, I hope we can at least get a remix compilation as a separate release. If they can do a whole collection of live albums (messy as the release of that was), then we can get one remix album!

8. bluedemon25

bluedemon25 Me, I'm Just A Lawnmower

Question for anyone who can answer. Looking at the possible idea of making my own burn able collection/disc(s) of remixes and tracks I wanted included but were not on this box. My question is: if I wanted to make my own box to put jewel case in any good ideas on how to do that? Without being sloppy cutting raw cardboard but someway that looks half decent? I figure I could do the art as I please and print cut put and paste on. Not sure I'll do this but wondering since I'm not the only one frustrated with Recall contents if anyone figured out a nice solution for housing a self made disc set supplement to not look super our of place near the official box. Thanks for any input.

sortvinyl likes this.
  9. Slave2chaos

Slave2chaos Well-Known Member

Remixes are a complicated thing; most, if not all of them, are experimental and as experiments go, they don't all work out.
    Many mixes are good, many are terrible, and a small handful are even better than the original. Some are commissioned by the record label, some were likely requested by Bowie himself (Reznor, Pet Shop Boys, Moby), while a few just sound like disc filler by someone who took the paycheck, ha!

Collecting all of them seems tedious and worthless since I don't think all of them would be played. However, it would be great if someone with both a good ear for music and a Bowie enthusiast would compile the ones that are worthwhile, maybe just by abandoning the very worst and duplicates with different names (long, short edit, etc).

Also, it would be even better if these remixes are compiled by album rather than randomly decided era.

jimhb, Roxy6, Markyp and 3 others like this.
  10. bluedemon25

bluedemon25 Me, I'm Just A Lawnmower

I'd love to see such a list. I'd submit from my personal enjoyment rhe addition of the Fade 2 mix of Funhouse.

11. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Buy the empty BLA box and write a big NOT in marker on the spine

12. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

I forgot about that money grubbing: selling empty box sets.............

Mikewest likes this.
  13. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Didn't "Outside", "Earthling" and "hours get reissue with a dedicated remix CD for each?

14. moomoomoomoo

Yes. I think it was in a mini-box. I passed.

TonyCzar likes this.
  15. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Yes - and the 80s, in particular, generated a TON of worthless/pointless remixes (Bowie is no exception here). Things definitely improved over time, and that's reflected in the improved quality of Bowie's remixes too. There are still some real duds all along, but by the time of BTWN things start to improve noticeably.

One of my favorites...

16. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

plus some b-sides etc.

TonyCzar likes this.
  17. moomoomoomoo

As a generalization, I don't tend to be a big fan of "club" remixes from any decade. Now Steven Wilson remixes, that's another story!

I never thought of it before, but I'd buy a Wilson remix of most of the RCA catalog in an instant!

croquetlawns likes this.
  18. vlad676

vlad676 Forum Resident

Do we know who is remastering chief ?

19. I think it might be album specific.Niles said last year he had done a remaster of BTWN.

gamuzajoe, croquetlawns and vlad676 like this.
  20. Jake362

Jake362 Mystic Knight of the Oingo Boingo

Just curious, even if not included, does a remix of Hours actually exist?

21. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I'm in for the Toy 3CD box, but that cover is ghastly.

Mikewest likes this.
  22. Stump

Stump Forum Resident

Lucky this box set is not mandatory to buy. Plenty of young NEW Bowie fans will love the Box Set and when it is sold out the same wingers will be complaining about the ebay prices..........

23. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

I’m guessing primarily Ray Staff for the project. Which can be good and bad, depends on who has a metaphorical gun pressed against his head during the process (ie Visconti on ANCIANT).
    Still think he did a wonderful job on most those 2015 remasters, though.

We also know Niles Rodgers was involved with the BTWN remaster.

croquetlawns and vlad676 like this.
  24. hulloder72

hulloder72 Forum Resident

Fabrice Outside and moomoomoomoo like this.
  25. sillyboyblue

sillyboyblue Forum Resident

That’s the one, with card replica LP sleeves, even though some of the albums never had a vinyl release (hours… and Reality).

Before that there was also “the grey box” with the same 2 disc sets (but only Outside, Earthling and hours…) in book-style covers
    David Bowie – Outside / Earthling / Hours... (2004, Box Set)

Cat People and croquetlawns like this.