David Bowie - Brilliant Adventure (1992-2001) [Box set #5]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Sep 17, 2021.

1. hulloder72

hulloder72 Forum Resident

you confirm that the bonus tracks are not very represented on the box Brilliant???

2. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

Maybe next year we’ll get a Brilliant Remix Adventures campaign…

3. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

granata, pobbard, Demiurge88 and 4 others like this.
  4. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

5. moomoomoomoo

Maybe next year we'll get the Arnold Corns material & the missing (officially) Ziggy era BBC stuff.

6. sillyboyblue

sillyboyblue Forum Resident

Bonus tracks that were originally ‘b’ sides (eg Get Real, Nothing to be Desired etc) or extra tracks on CD singles, are included, as are single versions/edits, including the Hallo Spaceboy Remix (PSB)….but numerous remixes are from CD singles, 12” singles and DJ promos are not included from BTWN, Outside and Earthling.

There’s a phenomenal number of remixes from this era, especially spanning BTWN, Outside and Earthling, such that I would never expect all of them to be included in this set….
    However, the 2 discs sets of these albums included many tracks not on Box 5:

BTWN special edition has 9 remixes not included in the box
    Outside has 9 remixes on the 2 disc set not included in the box
    Earthling has 6 remixes in the 2 CD set not included in the box
    hours … is still missing a few remixes but is otherwise well represented with b sides, remixes for film soundtracks and the Nomad Soul versions.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    Runicen, Demiurge88, fluxkit and 5 others like this.
  7. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

I agree, Thru' These Architects Eyes, Strangers When We Meet His two best songs of the 90’s IMO.

8. Bowie1979

Bowie1979 Forum Resident

Exactly - The BTWN remix disc is good as it’s curated and sequenced and makes for a decent album.

9. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

Although that Destroyer box is only from the Kiss store and waaaay overpriced….hmmm, sounds oddly familiar…

Segasonic91 and Roxy6 like this.
  10. croquetlawns

The Glastonbury show, if it exists, or at least the re-recorded Supermen, would also be nice.

gomen ne, moomoomoomoo and Markyp like this.
  11. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Glastonbury 1971 does exist, but, unless Bowie, Inc. does a secret copyright dump before the end of this year, it’s highly unlikely to see an official release. The recording passes into the public domain on 1 January 2022.

12. croquetlawns

I guess a grey market CD/LP will be released sometime in 2022.

Fabrice Outside and moomoomoomoo like this.
  13. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

No it probably doesn‘t.
    It was a rumor here but never even slightly hinted officially.
    So its fair to assume that it was wishful thinking.

Jake362, Demiurge88 and croquetlawns like this.
  14. bluedemon25

bluedemon25 Me, I'm Just A Lawnmower

What happened wi4h the roundhouse 1970 film of the atomic sunrise Festival? I know it was advertised as being shown. In England for a few nights. Whether that went through in reality I don't know. The guy who has the private copy that was to put together the airing in theaters was and has been hard ro find any extant fo tact information from. He apparently wanted a "ridiculous" amount so it was claimed to provide a copy or part with it. have heard the rumors that Yoko Ono was involved in financing or setting it up and so maybe a copy exists in apple. I come to ask this having been made aware as a Genssis nut and both Bowie and Genesis having been filmed at this show ( and in Genesis's case its rhe earliest known footage of them). I assume this would be the earliest video of Bowie, is that correct? It definitely exists, snippets by the holder of the Genesis portion were released. No one I the Genesis fandom seems to know anything beyond what I summarized. Anyone here amongst the Bowie experts know anything else? Small glimmer of hope that maybe through Bowie fans it will see light one day and in doing so the Genssis portion too.

15. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

And the artwork.

I think it's really funny the amount of whingeing here about the price. I have no intention of paying over £250 for this or any other box set, but compared to the Floyd 'Early Years' thing, which only had a bunch of coasters ffs, this is excellent value. And that's before one even considers the relative merits of the musical contents which, in the case of the Floyd box, was total pants after 1967.

16. WeeSam

WeeSam Forum Resident

do you think
    a) there are plenty of young NEW Bowie fans?
    b) young music fans are spending hundreds of pounds on box sets rather than listening to digital for free?

I tell you who the audience for this box is. Old rich blokes who are already fans.

Wilco, granata, Cat People and 4 others like this.
  17. moomoomoomoo

I said that also, until a few months ago I paid over $400 USD for the (unfortunately very poorly mastered) Ian Hunter career cd box.

croquetlawns likes this.
  18. moomoomoomoo

I've said this in other threads, but sadly Ryko (or DB) remixed the "Glastonbury" Supermen & robbed the LP version of much of it's energy. I'd really like to own a digital copy of the LP mix. I only knew one person who had the (3?) LP set. At the time, I didn't like enough of the other music on it to pay big dollars for it as an import.

croquetlawns likes this.
  19. moomoomoomoo

As far as messing up remixes, don't get me started on the Ziggy Movie! Though I've never heard it in audiophile sound, the TV mix DESTROYS the awful 1st RCA mix. There is a 3rd mix that's currently in circulation that isn't as good as the TV mix, but is better than the awful first RCA. It's kind of a compromise between the two. As far as I could tell, what happened is that Ronson was horribly out of tune, so DB all but removed him from the 1st RCA mix. Along with the LOUD overdubbed backing vocals, it also removed all the energy (Ziggy live was hard rock driven by MR's guitar). I'll never forget how upset I was as a young adult the first time I heard the 1st RCA mix (likely on release day). I had taped it on cassette from the TV broadcast (my mom's 8" early 70's TV actually had a headphone jack that I used as a tape out!), + I had a boot, & was expecting the same mix, minus the censors & with better sound.

Segasonic91 likes this.
  20. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

The last I heard, that possibility is unlikely, but you never know.

croquetlawns likes this.
  21. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Yes, that one has always been bloody awful, both in sound and vision, powerful enough to turn you off from anything Ziggy related.

22. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

Totally disagree. When it appeared, it was totally spellbinding; it's only over recent years, and in particular places (eg here), that people have become unable to appreciate it for the fascinating document it is.

23. WeeSam

WeeSam Forum Resident

I love it.

I'd say the soundtrack is in my top 5 Bowie albums. He never sang better than that (except maybe on the Diamond Dogs album). The versions of the Ziggy songs are definitive and blow the album versions out the water. Moonage Daydream is possibly the best thing he ever put to tape.

As for the visuals. Yes, technically they are poor, but they are (at times) very artistic. It manages to make the Hammersmith Odeon - which is essentially a cinema and not very attractive - look like a huge heaving and swarming after hours cavern. Love it.

croquetlawns likes this.
  24. WeeSam

WeeSam Forum Resident

not really. There were of course overdubs and Ronson was rough. But he WAS rough and the the Spiders WERE rough. They were provincial R&B and blues musicians that through a series of unlikely events found themselves playing on some the most iconic records ever. Thus their talent and status has been elevated over time and via myth; but there were countless musicians of that standard playing halls up and down the country, going nowhere. Bowie soon found himself more skilful, professional musicians. But music is not always about skill.

The Spiders were balancing between messy and exuberant, awful and sublime; the music tottering and ready to collapse into a mess at any moment. That's why it was brilliant (and Ken Scott worked miracles with Hunky Dory - I remember an interview with Woody explaining his reaction when hearing the final mix "we did that?"

Listen to the soundboard of the Ziggy show - it is not a million miles away from the mixed releases and is a good base to hear exactly what overdubs were done. Maybe one day somebody who knows what they are doing will attempt a matrix mix of the soundboard, the various audience recordings and the multi-track tapes.

25. mythnormadman

mythnormadman Someone has to smoke the sky

The film showing did happen, I went. The highlight was the Genesis footage

croquetlawns and WeeSam like this.